Maximum trolling depth with Scotty 1106

Squire

The article about Georgia Straight halibut got me thinking about trying something different during salmon non-retention between April 1st and July 15th. I find the idea of trolling just off bottom over some deeper sandy and gravel bottom areas intriguing.
The problem lies in how much line a Scotty 1106 can handle without crushing the spool. Scotty says 400’ but I know some guys offshore have fished that deep which would require still having some line on the spool so I’m asking if any of those guys have ways of mitigating this issue?
I had to get another spool of downrigger braid after snipping it off on the trim tab while I was trolling. I left about 100’ of the remainder on the downrigger and tied my new spool to it. I first pulled it all off and put one layer of black duct tape cut to size around the downrigger spool. Will this be enough to avoid the problem? I now have about 525’ of 200 lb test braid on the downrigger.

Braid or wire, they're not like mono. They have no stretch so no elastic compression to "crush the spool." The issue is to allow enough rim to keep the line from running off the edge. On a long retrieve, you may want to allow some cool-down time for the motor.

Braid has been known to spilt the spool especially on a hang up where it gets cinched. Do you have a spare set of spools you can set up with cable, and keep the braid set up? Or buy a set from Scotty with cable installed.

Just like a winch, you get the most pulling capacity with less line on the drum. Obviously a DR is a bit different as more line out means more drag, but running a 20 lb ball and 500’ of line could put a ton of load on the motor for the last 100’ in a strong current. That’s my theory at least.

I’m thinking of trying up to 400’ deep but wanted some line left on the spool once it’s down there. Good point about the extra load on the downrigger motor pulling that in. I plan to stick to the 15 lb ball but even that is a good pull from 230’ which is about the max I’ve been trolling at so far. The 1106 takes about as long to pull that up as it takes to reel in the gear once you pop it out of the clip.
And because the diameter is greater on the spool the last 150’ or so is pulled up at an essentially higher gear which could warm up the motor. This would also mean it’s always working harder at regular depths as well with the extra line on the spool. Hmmm…

Yes, the long-standing quip is that when you check your gear at the 200 foot level with the 1106 model, you can browse your email and read a chapter in a novel as you’re waiting for the cannonball.

Yes, the long-standing quip is that when you check your gear at the 200 foot level with the 1106 model, you can browse your email and read a chapter in a novel as you’re waiting for the cannonball.
But that's the downrigger that has the depth dial that actually works though right? I have a manual downrigger. At 200' it's a workout and the only thing I'm reading is that counter......for a long long time....

I was helping a friend spool up braid on his downriggers with a 2000 yard service spool. after 5 mins or so, I asked how much line do you want to put on here????>?! probably had 1500 ft on the rigger....
I regularly fish 300ft deep, sometimes having all 400ft of cable out. I use 20lb balls and hp riggers.. but I see no reason why you couldn't use 15lb balls, 150 lb braid and troll with the current, just tighten up the roll on a herring so you can troll slowly. but I suspect your going to find a lot of dogfish

Oh how quickly we forget the days of manual downriggers...

Back