Downrigger spools

Lewy

Had to replace a cracked spool on one of my riggers, not the first time either. Speaking to Scotty they suggested trying to keep (braid) from loading mostly at the bottom of the spool, which makes sense as that's where it wants to go for sure. When I took off the braid from the broken spool the backing was way compressed toward the bottom, maybe 1/2" more than at the top. I moved the fairlead higher on the arm but still can't get the line to feed to the top of the spool more than the bottom - the switch position defeats any adjustment of the fairlead. I thought about raising the switch but figured I ask you guys how you deal with the problem first. The cracked spool was only replaced in February and maybe used on 15 or so trips since. Ball got stuck on the bottom once and things got a bit tight, but did get it free eventually. Maybe I need more heavy duty backing? Using 15lb balls BTW.

Had to replace a cracked spool on one of my riggers, not the first time either. Speaking to Scotty they suggested trying to keep (braid) from loading mostly at the bottom of the spool, which makes sense as that's where it wants to go for sure. When I took off the braid from the broken spool the backing was way compressed toward the bottom, maybe 1/2" more than at the top. I moved the fairlead higher on the arm but still can't get the line to feed to the top of the spool more than the bottom - the switch position defeats any adjustment of the fairlead. I thought about raising the switch but figured I ask you guys how you deal with the problem first. The cracked spool was only replaced in February and maybe used on 15 or so trips since. Ball got stuck on the bottom once and things got a bit tight, but did get it free eventually. Maybe I need more heavy duty backing? Using 15lb balls BTW.
I use duct tape around the spool and then I use 450 feet of braid. I've had them crack/warp in the past and this seems to have solved it, for now. I also found that hot hot days the plastic can expand and then the braid gets really tight.

I use duct tape around the spool and then I use 450 feet of braid. I've had them crack/warp in the past and this seems to have solved it, for now. I also found that hot hot days the plastic can expand and then the braid gets really tight.
Maybe using a lot of braid (450+ft) is the answer? I don't use as much so the majority ends up being used ...perhaps more "unused" allows for better cushioning? I bet it does.

Speaking of braid how often are folks swapping it off? Mine is probably 4 seasons on, I just chop about 20' off and retie...

At a minimum re-tie your terminal gear knots a couple of times a year on the cannonball. Lost a ball last year and could not figure out what happened at first. Then saw half the knot still there. It just wore thru the braid over time.

Last edited:
Speaking of braid how often are folks swapping it off? Mine is probably 4 seasons on, I just chop about 20' off and retie...
It doesn't owe you anything. Swap it onto a spare spool and get new stuff. Always nice having spools ready to go just in case

I think a good way to prevent spool warping/breaking is to un-spool and respool without any tension, every now and then. Don’t just add new braid to braid that is already tightened on the spool. As you fish it just tightens and tightens and tightens.

or just switch to aluminum spools. I switched almost two years ago and ZERO issues thereafter. No more wobbling, brake handle clacking, etc. Smooth as silk, never again have to stop fishing to replace spool. Can then load up with as much braid as you like.

or just switch to aluminum spools. I switched almost two years ago and ZERO issues thereafter. No more wobbling, brake handle clacking, etc. Smooth as silk, never again have to stop fishing to replace spool. Can then load up with as much braid as you like.

Got a link for the lazy?

Well I for one have and always will be a scotty diehard I personally love the customer service and the quailty, next time your in for servicing ask for a replacement spool with wire/ braid so its ready to go takes less then 5 mins turn around and your fishing again (if it happens) which in my 35 years never has and alot of days on water , BUT I use stainless so if your using briad , I have no clue as I am not a fan of it. the Company is probally the best all over for helpng us guys out and they are awesome guys.
My 2 cents
Wolf

Well I for one have and always will be a scotty diehard I personally love the customer service and the quailty, next time your in for servicing ask for a replacement spool with wire/ braid so its ready to go takes less then 5 mins turn around and your fishing again (if it happens) which in my 35 years never has and alot of days on water , BUT I use stainless so if your using briad , I have no clue as I am not a fan of it. the Company is probally the best all over for helpng us guys out and they are awesome guys.
My 2 cents
Wolf
How often do you change your stainless Roy?

Stainless doesn't compress and add pressure as it coils, so you wouldn't get the spool pressure building up. This is a problem with braid only.

Scotty told me they were thinking of redesigning the spools. Because of the brake circles under the bottom of the spool, the bottom section is way thinner than the top so it's the part that always cracks.

Stainless doesn't compress and add pressure as it coils, so you wouldn't get the spool pressure building up. This is a problem with braid only.

Scotty told me they were thinking of redesigning the spools. Because of the brake circles under the bottom of the spool, the bottom section is way thinner than the top so it's the part that always cracks.
Couldn’t they adhere a thin metal strip around the inside of the drum that had a bit of taper to it and force the braid to climb upwards when in retrieval mode?

How often do you change your stainless Roy?
About every 4 years or if I lose some I only put 300 feet on , trick to stainless is to have VERY good swivels at cannon ball I have huge ROSCO ball bearing swivals. elimanate the twisting lasts a long time

About every 4 years or if I lose some I only put 300 feet on , trick to stainless is to have VERY good swivels at cannon ball I have huge ROSCO ball bearing swivals. elimanate the twisting lasts a long time
what size or lb rating on cable do you run? I went from the stock 150 on the 1100 series to the 180 on the 2100 series, such a huge difference in not wanting to twist or loop into a knot with the slightly heavier version.

Back