A new outlook on Downriggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out that the boards that were made for my original cannons came with under sized relays so they would burn when using heavy balls with not perfect current. Cannon came out with a new beefier board that has no issues. But they didnt tell me I could retrofit the new boards to my old riggers by swapping some wires. Understandably. But Mikes reel repair up in bc sets them up plug n play for 60 bucks each. end of issues and I fixed my wiring. My wife only uses 12lb balls on her rigger with a short wire to the battery and never had an issue but I did with my heavier weights and a long wire. I learned all of this after my original post. For me the added features make cannon preferable and esp where I have mine mounted on the boat.
Don’t know how it’s “understandable” that they wouldn’t inform you of a retro fit? Did they try to sell you some new downriggers instead? I did have an old cannon manual downrigger at one time. It worked fine for me. I especially liked the crank mounted sideways. Was easier to wind it in than a Scotty manual rigger. Down side was the plastic they used at that time was hard and had no give so finally broke after a few years of use. I’ve worked may way up the line of Scottys now and people are right. The customer service is outstanding. I wanted to convert to telescopic booms and they told me I could and gave me a cost right up front. Had a small piece break that wasn’t at the tackle place and 5 years past warranty Scotty sent me the piece free and even paid for postage. I’ll be a Scotty customer for life for that reason alone, not to mention parts availability. I can get them mailed in a day and a half if I can’t find them In the tackle shop

Last edited:
its a retrofit in the sense that the board needs to be re-wired to work. not plug and play by any means.

I have a 15 year old Scotty on the starboard side of my 14ft Livingston COHO special, and a Cannon mag10 on the port side. I like the power down feature of the Cannon, but the lifetime no-questions-asked warranty on the old 1106 puts it way ahead of the Cannon, I had a problem with the circuit board on the Cannon and had to pay to get it fixed; there is no longer a local Cannon repair place down here (Seattle area) so when it goes tits-up I'll bite the bullet and get a new hi-power Scotty for the port side. The Cannon is prone to getting moisture inside the casing as I store the boat in my horseshoe driveway and it rains a LOT down here!! And---the Scotty is a bit faster retrieve the the Cannon.
But having the 0.6 volt charge on the wire is neat! That said, I run the Scotty with braid, and use the Lurecharge system for my hoochies and spoons, can't tell a difference in catching between the 2 riggers, more dependent on what terminal tackle I'm using. Big Abe&Al #2 13inch flasher with a 26 inch leader to a herring aide hoochie with a 6/0 95710 with Lure Charge kicks butt in MA11 or MA13 in South Puget Sound! Too bad the
DFW took away our winter blackmouth season, I did really well using Lit Protroll flashers in Feb and March 2019. When I get a chance I'll post some pics of technique for installing l LED lights on regular flashers----cost is about $17 USD from Amazon for a pack of 5 of the lights, vs $23 (Cabela's) for a lit Protroll.
You will need a scroll saw or a Dremel tool to make the oval hole for the light, and a factory lit flasher for a template to make the hole.

I have a 15 year old Scotty on the starboard side of my 14ft Livingston COHO special, and a Cannon mag10 on the port side. I like the power down feature of the Cannon, but the lifetime no-questions-asked warranty on the old 1106 puts it way ahead of the Cannon, I had a problem with the circuit board on the Cannon and had to pay to get it fixed; there is no longer a local Cannon repair place down here (Seattle area) so when it goes tits-up I'll bite the bullet and get a new hi-power Scotty for the port side. The Cannon is prone to getting moisture inside the casing as I store the boat in my horseshoe driveway and it rains a LOT down here!! And---the Scotty is a bit faster retrieve the the Cannon.
But having the 0.6 volt charge on the wire is neat! That said, I run the Scotty with braid, and use the Lurecharge system for my hoochies and spoons, can't tell a difference in catching between the 2 riggers, more dependent on what terminal tackle I'm using. Big Abe&Al #2 13inch flasher with a 26 inch leader to a herring aide hoochie with a 6/0 95710 with Lure Charge kicks butt in MA11 or MA13 in South Puget Sound! Too bad the
DFW took away our winter blackmouth season, I did really well using Lit Protroll flashers in Feb and March 2019. When I get a chance I'll post some pics of technique for installing l LED lights on regular flashers----cost is about $17 USD from Amazon for a pack of 5 of the lights, vs $23 (Cabela's) for a lit Protroll.
You will need a scroll saw or a Dremel tool to make the oval hole for the light, and a factory lit flasher for a template to make the hole.
Sounds cool

I encourage people to learn how to service/fix your own fishing gear. Riggers are the simplest of all. Sure Scotty dosent charge but then you can be out a rigger in the middle of season because of a 5 dollar plug n play relay that would take 10 minutes to install. Swapping out the board on your old cannon would have taken fifteen minutes with one screw driver. Boards costs 60 bucks. The old cannons dont have lid gaskets so take off your lid and seal it with dap dynaflex 230 get at local hardware. I buy all my parts for riggers at fish307.com. I also recommend removing the cover at end of season and inspect. Even Scotty can let in moisture via the auto stop lead where it enters the case. Best to seal it with from the inside. Here is a pic taken 2 weeks ago when I offered to help a friend figure out why his 1106 wouldn09AF1A02-075F-4114-AD49-A08F70145138.jpeg084B0F86-47B5-48C9-8A89-9E26802D46E3.jpegt work! Like to see your led workaround.

Do you have shares in Canon or work for them lol.

I encourage people to learn how to service/fix your own fishing gear. Riggers are the simplest of all. Sure Scotty dosent charge but then you can be out a rigger in the middle of season because of a 5 dollar plug n play relay that would take 10 minutes to install. Swapping out the board on your old cannon would have taken fifteen minutes with one screw driver. Boards costs 60 bucks. The old cannons dont have lid gaskets so take off your lid and seal it with dap dynaflex 230 get at local hardware. I buy all my parts for riggers at fish307.com. I also recommend removing the cover at end of season and inspect. Even Scotty can let in moisture via the auto stop lead where it enters the case. Best to seal it with from the inside. Here is a pic taken 2 weeks ago when I offered to help a friend figure out why his 1106 wouldnView attachment 62705View attachment 62706t work! Like to see your led workaround.
I drop mine off for free annual maintenance and tune up every off season.I’m spoiled I live very near to Scotty’s plant so I haven’t had to deal with an issue like the one above due to regular maintenance. I also have yet to have them keep my riggers for an extended period, but once again living close does have its benefits and it’s simply drop off / pick up for me.

My brother bought a Scotty used rigger off Facebook for cheap. Sent it to Scotty and they replaces the motor,belt, switch, wires and only for the cost of shipping and the rigger was real old.

had the previous owner done that they probably could of sold it for hundreds more.

I don’t no any company in the world that would do that for an old product. Could you imagine sending in your 15 year old car and the manufacturer sending it back completely rebuilt for free. Incredible

I don’t know. Rereading this thread has convinced me switching to Cannon means poor customer service, sketchy parts replacement practices and no local warranty services. I see absolutely no pro’s to switching so I’ll stick with Scotty

Last edited:
The digital counters were what made me sell my 2106 riggers. They were brutal.....sound like they aren't that much better now. The best warranty in the business doesn't help when you are away from the dock. Used to keep 4 lids with new counters in the boat all the time.

I have bucked the trend and gone with cannon digitroll 10s....have had them since 2014. They are more maintenance heavy but have lots of extra features above and beyond a scotty. The preset depth power down is nice along with not needing auto stop beads...

They would not work for most on here but they work well for how I like to fish.

I have had 2106’s for close to 9 years and never had a counter failure.That being said I don’t store riggers on the boat, they get rinsed and put inside after each trip.

I am curious what goes wrong with them ? Does the screen fog or just go blank ? Or do they have the incorrect read out ? I have always found one rigger to be off of the depth by about 10’ from the other even when zeroed at the waterline.

If there is a depth disparity like that its likely due to having different amounts (or thickness) of line on each spool.

Sometimes the counters fog, sometimes i assume the battery goes dead or water gets inside. If you carry a couple spare counters it takes 2 mins with a screwdriver to swap them out. The mechanical counters fail just as often in my experience.

I'll take the faster retrieve, bigger weight capability and larger digits any day.

I don’t know. Rereading this thread has convinced me switching to Cannon means poor customer service, sketchy parts replacement practices and no local warranty services. I see absolutely no pro’s to switching so I’ll stick with Scotty

Cannon has excellent customer service from my experience and they have sent me free parts in the past even though I was not original purchaser. What they would NOT do is give me a FREE electonic part for a different downrigger that I wanted to be able to modify for my model. However I could have bought it from them. Cannon parts are readily available though many distributors. If you can change your oil, filters and plugs in your outboard then you have enough practical skill to service/change any part in a cannon. The pro's of cannon are features that scotty does not have.

Cannon warranty is lifetime for motor/plastics/switches/circuit boards and boom for original purchaser. If there is no service center in your vicinity and you cant repair your own equipment then stick with Scotty for sure!

Your confusing me? Can you order circuit boards or not? You say you can’t find them then you say you can from mikes for $60? I’m not sure if your trying to plug cannons or what? Obviously if your happy with them use them. My opinion, and it’s just that is that if they wouldn’t let you know that you can change out circuit boards even with a little work and that you have to go to mike reel repairs for parts, ( search the forum about that) they’re not all they’re cracked up to be. Again, if they work for you that’s awesome. Your not going to change my mind though. Too bad about the original purchaser clause. Scotty has come through time and again for second hand owners. Just another reason to buy local.

read again..slower. I said you can order/buy circuit boards but they wont give you free ones if they are not made for the model you bought! I am sure the service rep didnt know about modifying only that they quit making the board for my 11 yr old rigger. I am not trying to change your mind just an informative discussion that always turns defensive on forums.

I placed my order with mikes. they acknowledged and told me 3 weeks to deliver. 2 weeks later they called me and said they are shipped. I will get them in a day or so.

ref original purchaer. I posted a pic of corroded scotty parts. owner is a full time salt water guide and has 4 scottys. he called scotty to get a new thermal circuit breaker and they told him no warranty as he was not the original purchaser. he had told them they came with the boat he bought. Scotty said to go to automotive store and get the thermals because they are auto ones they use. which he did.,

I have to say I thought this was BC SPORTFISHING??

not merican outdoors????

In BC which stands for British Columbia we like and love Scotty, long history of a family run local business , yes there is other options but to be honest ill support local as much as I can just like you will support GO USA.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back