2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

30 litres to go 80 nautical mile?

Not a chance!

80 nautical miles divided by 20 knots = 4 hours run time.
30 litres divided by 4 hours run time = 7.5 liters per hour TOTAL for 2-200 HP engines

Those are GODDAM impressive engines Gump!

Last edited:
Something not adding up. Fuel burn on those engines is around 25 to 28 litres per hour per engine at cruise speed of 4000 rpm.
If you cruise at 30 knots and you have travelled 80 nautical miles you should have burned about 133 litres.
I know it seems way off. What is more confusing is that the Suzuki gauge was calibrated by the dealer taking into account the tank shape.

I was concerned when we went out Sunday on the estimated amount of fuel left in the tank and I expected that we would be down about a quarter tank . The tank holds 125 US Gallons (473 Litres) so my 1/4 tank fuel expenditure and your 133 litres are pretty close.

It seems quite likely I mays see a tank draining/gauge recalibration in my future.

I put $905. 00 worth of fuel in the boat in Nanaimo, and $63.00 in the next time it was at the fuel dock.

I pumped gas at a marina when I was a kid and I know I topped off the tank both times .

Maybe boat was filled on the trailer vs in the water might sit differently. Even if it’s double that’s pretty damn good!
I have seen some boats that in the water gets air trapped in the front of the tank when the tank vent and filler are at the stern of the tank so they will not totally fill up in the water with the stern down a bit. Once on a trailer with the tank closer to level they get more fuel in the tank as the vent is able work properly. On my friends boat we need a couple of big guys on sitting on the bow to fill up at the dock until he fixed it by moving the vent line to the front of the tank.

I’m a bit surprised you didn’t have a fuel flow indication on your engine electronics that would have told you what your burn was on the run across the Strait.

No video, sorry. My arm just isn't that long- even with a selfie stick.
I’m a bit surprised you didn’t have a fuel flow indication on your engine electronics that would have told you what your burn was on the run across the Strait.

Oh I am certain that there is a Fuel Flow meter on the Suzuki gauges and I have no doubt that there is likely an altimeter, and a reasonable facsimile of the Norden Bomb Sight buried somewhere in the Furuno screens.

I am slowly working my way through every Manual :eek: and trust me there is no shortage of wonderful documentation written in the most warm, comforting, and understandable language imaginable.

If you know what you are looking for you won't find it, and if your don't know what you are looking for you will find the answer to something you never understood , and still don't

Of course, as you can well imagine, Furuno, Suzuki , ICOM, Fusion ,etc., all met in a bar in Vegas and decided that each of them should write-in a fashion that is 100% dissimilar from each other.

Mission accomplished.

No video, sorry. My arm just isn't that long- even with a selfie stick.

Oh I am certain that there is a Fuel Flow meter on the Suzuki gauges and I have no doubt that there is likely an altimeter, and a reasonable facsimile of the Norden Bomb Sight buried somewhere in the Furuno screens.

I am slowly working my way through every Manual :eek: and trust me there is no shortage of wonderful documentation written in the most warm, comforting, and understandable language imaginable.

If you know what you are looking for you won't find it, and if your don't know what you are looking for you will find the answer to something you never understood , and still don't

Of course, as you can well imagine, Furuno, Suzuki , ICOM, Fusion ,etc., all met in a bar in Vegas and decided that each of them should write-in a fashion that is 100% dissimilar from each other.

Mission accomplished.
Remember to swipe right.

So... the last we were at the boat was Sunday. This morning we get an email from the Marina that says that the spotlight is on.

Instead of heading into the office, I make a run out to Reed Point to see what is what ,and am wondering as I drive out the how and why of the spotlight being on since Sunday(?) and we are just learning about it now.

I arrive at the Marina and I can see the spot light in in fact on. BTW We have a GO LIGHT GT.

I am walking down the ramp and a skipper and deckhand from one of the tugs are coming off shift. I make a comment about the spotlight being on and the one fellow says , sorry we forgot we were going to turn it off as we left.

I look at him with a question on my face. He says we have the same type of light, the ones with the little FOBs as a controller and sometimes when we come in and turn off our light, a light on another boat goes on. We are too far away to affect your boat, .... but we thought we might be able to turn your light off with our fob.

I thank them and head down to our boat, climb aboard and turn off the light. Looking out the window I see another boat with the same spot light as ours 'on their boat. Now it doesn't go on , but our spot is wired with a fuse and doesn't have a switch on the panel.

Robert's rationale is if you wake up and need your spot light at night for any reason you need it right then.

I called manufacturer and they were great, and sent me the pages from the manual that tell me how to adjust the dip switches.

I am thinking that every switch is set the same from the factory and this caused the excitement

I also bought a spare controller for the spot light today and the factory FOB holder

Reprogramming instructions.

https://golight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Remote-Reprogramming-1.pdf

Both the remotes below will work the second one has to be screwed down to the dash.

https://golight.com/catalog/30100-2/

https://golight.com/catalog/30200-2/

The fellow I dealt with at GoLIGHT was Brandon Stritt

GOLIGHT, INC.

37146 OLD HWY. 17

CULBERTSON, NE 69024

I also called the Marina Office and told them how the light was on, so that they can tell their walk around person

Burp the Baby, Burp the fuel tank.

So... we went out for a nice little run today and when we came back we went to the fuel dock.

So this time when the fuel ran out of the overflow and burped. I waited and then I started to add fuel again. And I kept adding fuel, and all I was thinking was well the gang on BCSF were right, and then I started laughing about a joke that some actuaries played on a fellow actuary about 25 years ago.

So today we ran up Indian Arm had a floating lunch, saw an otter and continued the break in of the motors.

Back to the fuel dock and again after about 30 liters the fuel burped. This time I was ready and let things settle and it burped again and then the tank got serious and sucked down a total of 211.75 Litres ( or $445.37).

I stand corrected but I do still have that great memory of the boat only taking 60 liters of gas to run Nanaimo-Reed Point -Indian Arm (Wigwam Inn)-Reed Point.

So back to the joke .

An actuary I worked with, qualified while working at Great West Life in Winnipeg. Another one of the actuaries was a bit pompous and bought a new truck. Now this fellow was famous for going on and on about his possessions and how brilliant his buying choices in life were .

So a plan was hatched and a duplicate key to the truck was obtained on day one. Now in those days an ignition key unlocked the doors, started the vehicle, and most importantly opened the fuel door.

Now remember the pranksters were actuaries so they were detail oriented and began the joke. For the first few months they kept putting gas back into the truck in the company parking lot, and in the owner's driveway. Of course he was calculating his mpg and it was unbelievable, When he took his pickup in for it's first service of course he told the service writer he was getting something like 70 MPG. They said not possible and he then pulled out his detailed fuel log proving his mileage.

Now the boys move on to Plan B and they begin to get back their gas via siphon. Of course now their co-worker is losing his mind because now he is getting 2-3 mpg, back he goes to the dealership and havoc ensues but he has the math to prove it.

They go to the dealership after he leaves and fess up and then give the guy a photo of a bunch of gas cans with them putting gas in or siphoning it out, the key to his truck and a cake. He became a great guy to work with after that .

Howdy neighbor, where are you moored at the Marina?

Did you see the new speed zones that were posted for Indian Arm

1649739007743.png

To be fair, I’ve been close to taking a wake from a yacht over the windshield of my 18’er up in that area. It wasn’t going very fast either. I’m sure a few kayakers go for a swim on a regular basis

The western channel between Croaker Island and the mainland also has the same 5 Knot (Private) buoys marking it's entrances.

On another note

As a motorcyclist who has ridden in 20 plus countries and understand the importance of high vis clothing I am stunned at the kayakers in dark blue and black hulled boats wearing black wetsuits and black inflatable life vests. FFS they aren't a special ops team on a mission to save the free world.

One would think visibility would be pretty high on their safety plan. I now think of them as "The Invisibles."

When I lead canoe trips in the 70's in northern Ontario and Quebec , we painted the canoes bright yellow for a reason, and it wasn't to keep the bears away (though we sometimes told the campers that:eek:).

Back