Father Son boat build

kaelc

Happy Fathers day.

My son has asked me if we can build a real boat. I think we’ll start by helping my dad finish his last Cedar Strip Canoe.

Then I'd like to build a smaller ocean going boat. Thinking a Specmar Orca or Tolman Skiff would be awesome but don't have the skills or time for either, but can work towards it over the next couple years. Other option I’d like is to buy an old starcraft and rebuild it, more realistic but not as good a learning experience as going from plans and raw materials to a final project.

Anyone build a boat with their kids or would like to? How long did it take and how old were they?

Thanks for any ideas!

Happy Fathers Day!

When/if my kids ever show an interest in building a boat my plans are to find a rotten 16’ Double Eagle and rebuild it.

Why:
Easy to find, Inexpensive in both the purchase price and materials to rebuild, power would be easy to find and fairly inexpensive, boat would be very capable to fish local waters safely, towable by any small SUV and last of all if they loose interest I could finish it and still get something for it.

However I am one night into stripping the rot from a little lake boat and I am not sure I want to ever do it again. Good thing this will be a faint memory by the time my kids want to build a boat.

I have built both a kayak and ceded strip canoe. I think the reward for the effort isn’t worth the time for me. Also to do it correctly it takes a fair amount of skill. If I did it with my kids I feel I would be doing all the mill work. I guess this really depends on the age of child and their skill level.

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpeg
    IMG_3376.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 79
I know approx. how old your son is and I think his attention span might be too short for a full on project still,just going by my experience raising 2 boys.It is a tough call to say when the right age would be.Maybe start with a small project and see how it goes.

I have a 1969 Starcraft 17' that I rebuilt - the only thing original on it is the aluminum hull. My major projects: I fabricated a new dashboard made out of composite deck board. Once the new dash was in, put in new teleflex steering, then gutted all electrical and put in new junction boxes, fuses, switches, depth finder and stereo. I had custom canvas made & installed, 2" taller than me so I can stand upright. The big job was ripping out the old floor and putting in a new one - the proper way to do it is to do the transom at the same time. There's some great videos on Youtube on how to do that. I've had this boat for almost 20 years and it's been great for the kids and I whether we are out on the salt chuck or lakes all through BC and Alberta.

built this with "help " from my grandson . Truth be told I did 99%. But he only could help when he visited. Thats him now 20 holding the salmon with his younger cousin. Great memories!! A Tolman would be a great choice... Google is your best friend and tolman builders have there own group.

Attachments

• fishing 2023 2 (3).jpeg
    fishing 2023 2 (3).jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 121
Back