2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Well this thread has been quite the voyage. My first post was on April 27, 2021 and yesterday Aluminiferous was home in her berth.

This build thread took 314 days, or 10 months 8 days from the start to finish.

I am lucky to have a great partner in life, who is always game for adventure and agreed to this build. Everything in the design that is tasteful, colour coordinated or looks well thought out had Susan's input. I think that the build was the success it was because Susan was involved every step of the way, and quite frankly most people would rather deal with Susan than me. I know I would.

A final tip of the hat goes to Reel Slim for his thread who's thread introduced u s to Robert's amazing boats , to our builder Robert Jackson at JaxonCraft, to everyone at Breakers Marine, Jeremey (Mr. 200), Sarah (Manager Part, Accessories Service as well as high maintenance customers like me)., and Clay (Mechanic par excellence) , our new friends Doug and Robert, Gavin at SeaComm, Tanis at Shockwave, Mark Ralston, at Van Isle Marine Surveyors Ltd. and everyone here on this thread that gave commentary, suggestions and participated in the thread. If I have forgotten to thank anyone my apologies.

And I can't forget Johnny and his replacement Billy the Beagle. The JaxonCraft Shop Dogs extraordinaire. I will post up a photo of Johnny later today.

1646667678986.jpeg

Last night sleeping in her berth

1646667123603.jpeg

-31-

Last edited:
@Bill 310 the weather buoy was reporting 0.5m at 2.9s yesterday morning in the strait. That is a significant sea with it's square shape and period like that. (Winds W 14G17kn).

I suspect most of your crossing will be more comfortable than yesterdays conditions. If she rode nicely for you yesterday then you're in for a world of enjoyment going forward.

Can you share what speed you made the crossing in seas like that?

Thanks.

@Bill 310 the weather buoy was reporting 0.5m at 2.9s yesterday morning in the strait. That is a significant sea with it's square shape and period like that. (Winds W 14G17kn).

I suspect most of your crossing will be more comfortable than yesterdays conditions. If she rode nicely for you yesterday then you're in for a world of enjoyment going forward.

Can you share what speed you made the crossing in seas like that?

Thanks.

!8-20 knots.

New motors and old teeth

Thanks Bill for sharing, really enjoyed following your adventure. And for sharing that Suzuki alarm instruction, I had intended to save that after mine last went off but hadn't done so. Now I'm ready! Enjoy your boat, both you and your better half will have a phenomenal first year with it I'm sure.

Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day puttering around on the boat while it was moored in it's slip at Reed Point Marine.

Today Susan and I ran the boat up to the Wigwam Inn, a RVYC outstation. (Note we aren't members we just wanted to explore Indian Arm).

Prior to that I had had a mostly uneventful journey moving a new boat, with twins , in a crowded moorage.

My trip across from Nanaimo was about 56 nautical miles and Susan and my trip today was about 23 Nautical Miles so let's say 80 Nautical miles on the tank

When we got back we filled up the boat. We ran an average speed of 18-20 knots, and the twin Suzuki 200's have about 15 hours on them

Our total fuel consumption was 30.168 Litres since we left Nanaimo for a total fuel spend of $68.10.

My math makes those 200 burning just over 3/4 of a gallon per hour or 12 miles per gallon. No offense but someone's math is wrong ,maybe mine.
Probably needs to add a zero to the totals :cool:. Likely not that much but closer.

First order of business was to get our route laid out, check weather, and do a final vessel inspection before heading to the fuel dock.

My first time at the wheel (when it wasn't snowing) was to move us the fuel dock to take on 430 liter's of of marine gas.($905.30)
Yikes. BOAT is now an acronym just to refer to refueling!

Yesterday, I spent a good part of the day puttering around on the boat while it was moored in it's slip at Reed Point Marine.

Today Susan and I ran the boat up to the Wigwam Inn, a RVYC outstation. (Note we aren't members we just wanted to explore Indian Arm).

Prior to that I had had a mostly uneventful journey moving a new boat, with twins , in a crowded moorage.

My trip across from Nanaimo was about 56 nautical miles and Susan and my trip today was about 23 Nautical Miles so let's say 80 Nautical miles on the tank

When we got back we filled up the boat. We ran an average speed of 18-20 knots, and the twin Suzuki 200's have about 15 hours on them

Our total fuel consumption was 30.168 Litres since we left Nanaimo for a total fuel spend of $68.10.

I was skeptical as well.

Both times when filling the tanks, I got the tank vent hiss then a spittle of fuel pop out of the vent. I would stop filling the tanks, let things settle and then continued refueling and got maybe another liter and a half in.

Fuel was visible in the neck of the filler tube. I waited for it to spit and settle but nada, tank was full

I too was surprised at the low fuel burn.

I was skeptical as well.

Both times when filling the tanks, I got the tank vent hiss then a spittle of fuel pop out of the vent. I would stop filling the tanks, let things settle and then continued refueling and got maybe another liter and a half in.

Fuel was visible in the neck of the filler tube. I waited for it to spit and settle but nada, tank was full

I too was surprised at the low fuel burn.
Something is not quite right. That would be fantastic if it was correct.
30.168L / 4.546 litres to an imperial gallons = 6.636 imperial gallons burnt in 15 hours runtime = .4424 gallons per hour.

Something not adding up. Fuel burn on those engines is around 25 to 28 litres per hour per engine at cruise speed of 4000 rpm.
If you cruise at 30 knots and you have travelled 80 nautical miles you should have burned about 133 litres.

I’m wondering if your fuel gauge has been properly calibrated. very common on a brand spanking new setup for there to be a discrepancy between what your digital gauges are reading verses actual fuel burn. on my neighbours 2018 Kingfisher w/ brand new yammys he was over 50 litres off.

he drained every drop of gas out and recalibrated the guages. i thought he was nuts but if it’s the difference between getting home or getting stuck might as well do it right

I’m wondering if your fuel gauge has been properly calibrated. very common on a brand spanking new setup for there to be a discrepancy between what your digital gauges are reading verses actual fuel burn. on my neighbours 2018 Kingfisher w/ brand new yammys he was over 50 litres off.

he drained every drop of gas out and recalibrated the guages. i thought he was nuts but if it’s the difference between getting home or getting stuck might as well do it right
But this is just based on what fuel he put back in. Maybe you have a clogged vent.

Maybe boat was filled on the trailer vs in the water might sit differently. Even if it’s double that’s pretty damn good!

Back