My Double Eagle Re-build Journey

Inchebe

Time for me to start documenting my journey re-building / modifying my new to me Double Eagle, I have gained so much reading this forum so thought I would have a go at my own thread

Some of the elements I looked for initially (and somewhat naively) included:
- A project boat within reason - ideally a solid hull, deck, stringers and transom, I love the challenge of DIY and have done many (non boating) projects in the past
- Something that would handle the PNW waters
- Something I could put some sort of Alaskan cabin / Cuddy Cabin / similar
- A boat that I could pod immediately or in the future
- Primarily a fishing focused boat, but with some utility for other water activates

I settled on a 76 18.6 DE
- took her for a test ride and for her age seemed to tick more boxes than it didn't
- the fact that it was podded already was a real plus

Very pleased with my first boat purchase, thinking I had a little gem, I brought it home ........ oh reality thou are a heartless b*tch

Images attached are from the original advert and my test trip.

Attachments

• 20230629_044542000_iOS.png
    20230629_044542000_iOS.png
    896.7 KB · Views: 159
  • image_50426113.JPG
    image_50426113.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 157
Did you find some defects in er? I’m curious the size and design of the pod, kicking around ideas for a 1974’ 18’2” hourston I’m rebuilding. Good luck with the new rig!

Did you find some defects in er? I’m curious the size and design of the pod, kicking around ideas for a 1974’ 18’2” hourston I’m rebuilding. Good luck with the new rig!
I have recently learnt that if you can see one or two things wrong on a boat, the boat is hiding a lot more "wrong"

My original hope was to polish her up, put a cabin on and away I go ..... That was incorrect

I had her parked undercover, work was mad and with multiple overseas trips she sat for a couple months ....

I started doing my research in more detail and following many of the build threads on this forum

One thing in particular was bothering me (and this was again off zero experience with boats) there was a steel plate on the deck ... and although I had quite literally jumped up and down on it with zero movement, the fact that it was there bothered me.... I took the metal plate off and the project became essentially a complete rebuild at that point ....

The deck above the fuel tank was shockingly poorly built .... treated wood with no resin in sight formed the frame, normal plywood - untreated with no fiberglass forming the deck ...... rotten

I started ripping things out .... I discovered that there were at least two major bodies of work done on the boat... the initial conversion to pod in the stern of the boat was in spectacular condition, no rot, correct materials used etc etc But what i assume was a second body of work was done on the fuel tank, and was done as you can see, extremely poorly.

The second issue I discovered is that the old inboard engine bay which was converted to a bilge has no discernable path for the water to get into the bilge ... other than through the access hatch

And so deconstruction began

Attachments

• 20230629_025016010_iOS.jpg
    20230629_025016010_iOS.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230806_164502054_iOS.jpg
    20230806_164502054_iOS.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230921_182338152_iOS.jpg
    20230921_182338152_iOS.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20231022_025751530_iOS.jpg
    20231022_025751530_iOS.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 95
I’m always skeptical when I see aluminum in place of fiberglass. I’m of the opinion with these old boats that unless they have been rebuilt, they are all rotten.

I have recently learnt that if you can see one or two things wrong on a boat, the boat is hiding a lot more "wrong"

My original hope was to polish her up, put a cabin on and away I go ..... That was incorrect

I had her parked undercover, work was mad and with multiple overseas trips she sat for a couple months ....

I started doing my research in more detail and following many of the build threads on this forum

One thing in particular was bothering me (and this was again off zero experience with boats) there was a steel plate on the deck ... and although I had quite literally jumped up and down on it with zero movement, the fact that it was there bothered me.... I took the metal plate off and the project became essentially a complete rebuild at that point ....

The deck above the fuel tank was shockingly poorly built .... treated wood with no resin in sight formed the frame, normal plywood - untreated with no fiberglass forming the deck ...... rotten

I started ripping things out .... I discovered that there were at least two major bodies of work done on the boat... the initial conversion to pod in the stern of the boat was in spectacular condition, no rot, correct materials used etc etc But what i assume was a second body of work was done on the fuel tank, and was done as you can see, extremely poorly.

The second issue I discovered is that the old inboard engine bay which was converted to a bilge has no discernable path for the water to get into the bilge ... other than through the access hatch

And so deconstruction began
you'll be happier with it in the long run by tearing it down and doing it properly, nothing worse then a jimmy rigged boat that becomes unsafe while on the water..

you'll be happier with it in the long run by tearing it down and doing it properly, nothing worse then a jimmy rigged boat that becomes unsafe while on the water..
100% .... As I have gone through the process of removing things I have found countless issues, years of lazy and incorrect add on's and repairs from the simple frustration of multiple screw head types being used (record is 3 different screw types in a single 4 screw fitting), to incorrect wiring and fire hazards etc etc.... I would hate to put the family at risk, so going through each part of the boat piece by piece will give me the satisfaction and peace of mind that things have been done correctly

it would help if people tarped them or put them under cover, dives me crazy seeing all the uncovered boats in peoples yaards
Should be glassed like they’ll live under water. Majority of rebuilds I’ve seen would rot from the inside out just from humidity. Bare wood and people drilling holes without properly sealing is the problem.

Here's a link to a full rebuild, might give you some insight.

Here's a link to a full rebuild, might give you some insight.
re-read your thread this morning ... such a great build....

Back