2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Amazing boat!
Are we going to get to see the invoice?
Similar to my mortgage I’m guessing Lol

I am not the sort of boy to kiss and tell, but...... coming as no surprise to no one (including me) it cost more than I expected and right about where my wife thought it would be.

We are doing Sea Trials in the morning, there are few little things to tend to and based of the forecast the diesel furnace will be getting a workout.

The final survey came back after the trial survey (we had the boat looked at before it went for engines ) and there were no requirements , recommendations, or suggestions noted in the final survey.

The weather is not the best this weekend to cross the strait so that will get postponed

I am not the sort of boy to kiss and tell, but...... coming as no surprise to no one (including me) it cost more than I expected and right about where my wife thought it would be.

We are doing Sea Trials in the morning, there are few little things to tend to and based of the forecast the diesel furnace will be getting a workout.

The final survey came back after the trial survey (we had the boat looked at before it went for engines ) and there were no requirements , recommendations, or suggestions noted in the final survey.

The weather is not the best this weekend to cross the strait so that will get postponed
can't wait to see the sea trials video

Congratulations @Bill 310! Really happy for you both! Please be sure to upload some completed photos and when complete, some sea trial info!

Sea, er... Snow, er.... Fog Trials

Bob Dylan wrote a great song (but then all his songs are great) called "Watching the River Flow."

As a Bob Dylan fan ( I have see Bob live close to 4 dozen times ) I couldn't help but think of that song title as I watched the weather forecast for Saturday and to paraphrase that song, I was watching the weather go.

I mentioned to my wife that it looked like it was going to snow Saturday during Seat Trials . We had snow in Vancouver at our house earlier in the week and on Friday when we caught the 5:20 (?) Boat out of Horseshoe Bay it was getting colder.

The crossing was uneventful and we slept in the car snuggled up under our military surplus Italian Navy 100% Wool Submarine Service blanket that we bought surplus in Calgary last summer.

They are fantastic .

How good are they?

Our orange cat claimed one 10 minutes after we brought the first set home . Now for people who don't own cats, and for years I was one of those people, Orange Cats are usually male , and they are hedonists, the feline version of Hugh Heifer. life to an orange cat is 100% about the pursuit of pleasure -their pleasure.

We now have four of the blankets two for the house (including the cat's) and two for the boat. We gave a pair to Robert to use as cover ups around his fire pit as well.

Link to these blankets, remember I bought ours at a surplus store in Calgary not through this link

Sea Trial

Saturday morning is overcast and cold -1.

We meet Clay (from Breakers ) and Doug, our pal (who is going to bring the boat across with me ) at the Clutesi Haven Marina for the launch.

When Clay arrived he had already turned on the diesel furnace

Perspective

I am 6'4" and Clay is 6'2" Boat seems massive in this photo

1645990355705.png

Motors with Max tilt already set (thanks Clay!) Note Ladder is on far side , ignore it's position to the motors, It is the photo's perspective.

1645990483650.png

1645990637050.png

At the dock, with reflection (note the first snowflakes in the air)

1645990721762.png

Attachments

• 1645990936045.png
    1645990936045.png
    2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Vessel Christening (the Green Leaves)

1645992101321.jpeg

(film at 9) seriously I will post up the Christening video when the editing is complete

See post below

Snow report from the cabin door looking aft.

1645992513836.png

Skim Ice in the Marina as we cruise the docks

1645992278940.png

1645992323891.png

1645992188850.png

We were out for just under 2 hours. Unfortunatley the fog rolled in almost immediately and visibility was poor at best

Everyone had a chance to pilot the boat. Clay spent a bit of time showing me the sensitively of the Fly by Wire controls (before we left the dock and with the motors off). Not his first rodeo.

Once things were warmed up, (say 30 minutes) Clay ran a base course for about 1/2 mile with both of us on log/debris watch. Then he turned the boat around and then we ran back down the same course while WFO.

He was satisfied by the prop set up ( 3x16x20) and the GPS showed a speed of just a tad over 38 knots (43.7 MPH )or for the younger folks 70.38 KMH. I think he said at WOT the motors were running right around 5800-5900 RPM He told me that he the pitch was right where they wanted it to be.

By the time this was over and it was time for me to take the wheel, it was snowing much harder, and the visibly was getting worse. We zipped about a bit at different throttle setting I ran the boat up to 3400 RPM which seems to be the natural sweet spot, played with the motor trim and the trim tabs.

Not surprisingly she needs to ride with the bow trimmed up a bit. Clay had me tab the bow down so I could feel the boat out of trim so it was nose heavy, and as expected, an out of trim boat in the boat down attitude wants to fight the wheel and weave about .

I didn't run like that for more than a minute because the snow was really coming and my lack of familiarity in these waters was a good sign that the helm needed local knowledge.

Susan next took the wheel and by then it was too foggy for her to get the boat up fully on plane but she had fun turning the boat in its own length using the motors.

Doug took us into the harbour and by that time it had been cold long enough that skim ice was forming (see photos).

Doug is one of those guys, you know a "Boat Whisperer".

Like Clay, he has the gift of what I now think of as gentle nautical persuasion that comes from a lifetime of running boats on the West Coast. It is humbling, but in a good way to watch.

I grew up running boats in fresh water on big lakes but the additional constant variables of the ocean add a serious multiplier.

I had said to my wife I will be spending a lot of time practicing close maneuvers at our marina and docking and moving about in all conditions, our snow storm run was a great reminder of my promise to myself.

Yes we were running radar while we were out and I learned two things the first being that Clay, Doug and I like to have our charts set course up and secondly, as I expected I will need to spend a more than a few hours setting the Furuno screens to meet my needs .

I can't tell you how fantastic that diesel heater is. It was f'ing cold out and the cabin (insulated ) holds the heat in , which means on the one ceremonial hot day of summer the cabin will not be an oven for sleeping .

All the work on having the correct ergonomics built into the boat has already paid off . Shockwave seats on sliders and swivels, tilt wheel and the Shockwave adjustable foot rests allowed everyone to hake themselves comfortable in a matter of minutes.

My OCD was complimented by Clay and Doug with regards to the dash layout and we decided on a better position for the compass while we were out. We had planning on moving the Compass once I run operated the boat.

Going back on the trailer (I just realized we took no photos with the radar mast up).

Trust me it the mast was up and kudos for Doug and Clay for doing that .

1645992433164.png

Last edited:
Nice ice breaker,and gorgeous boat.The clean survey,level floating position and right prop out of the box tells lots about the builder and workmanship involved in the build.Nothing left to do but enjoy for years to come,congratulations.

First class all the way Bill, congrats and well done.

Well I didn't do that much. We had a great builder, Robert Jackson at

who referred us to Breakers Marine for the motors, and install ,

to Gavin at SeaCom Marine for the electronics,

and to John Arvy at Hammer Marine Supply Co. for the Lone Star Anchor system

Well I didn't do that much. We had a great builder, Robert Jackson at

who referred us to Breakers Marine for the motors, and install ,

to Gavin at SeaCom Marine for the electronics,

and to John Arvy at Hammer Marine Supply Co. for the Lone Star Anchor system

Sounds like Roberts got it figured out, I'm sure you've inspired some others with your build and might bring him some new customers. Have fun with the boat!

Sound like a good and bad time to have a sea trial, really start to use the chart plotter and radar in those condition. Amazing amount of speed for something you can sleep comfortably in! Nice details continue with the bumpers fitting underneath the gunnels.

I was watching the weather as keenly as you Saturday but with not a great launch to come home to, Sidney, and as much speed to get things done I did 1/2 of what I wanted to do and we pulled the boat and had it back on the trailer by 12:30. I was only worried about the electrical upgrades and old wallas heater and both worked perfectly but likely not as hot as yours.

Such care and attention on the commissioning, pretty nice. I felt rushed buying my boat and wasn’t with knowledgeable boat whispers or was with a broker who knew but was trying to cover things up. Those detail like radar usage, prop selection, wot, heading up and compass location are things I’m still working on, and you have them mostly figured for before you go on your first solo trip.

Boat of a lifetime enjoy it. I hope to catch a glimpse of you doing 2X my speed some day.

Sound like a good and bad time to have a sea trial, really start to use the chart plotter and radar in those condition.

It was actually pretty hilarious boating in the snow. The last time I would have done that was duck hunting and getting to our blind in the swamp just before freeze up.

Amazing amount of speed for something you can sleep comfortably in! Nice details continue with the bumpers fitting underneath the gunnels.

I can't imagine using the speed available unless I need to run from something. Weather, approaching twilight, or it's an emergency. Clay told me something I hadn't remembered , if you are going to hit a log or object, throttles to neutral. I know I would have backed off the throttles but wouldn't have thought to move to neutral in the one move . With drive by wire , it is so much faster than cables.

The bumper storage is not the good planning you might think. It is actually a fluke that they nestle in there. I tied them in so they didn't started bouncing around like crazed seal pups if it got rough (and also for practice)

I bought size 5 fenders, (size 4 would have fit better under the gunnels), but the sides of the hull will learn to love their Size 5's. I hung size 6's along our slip parallel to the water. (we are moored with floating not fixed docks )
Those detail like radar usage, prop selection, wot, heading up and compass location are things I’m still working on, and you have them mostly figured for before you go on your first solo trip.

Not me, good marina staff, good builder, and lots of GPS experience riding in 27 countries and rallying. I screwed up the compass location in the build, and knew it was wrong and Clay and I figured out how to move it without having Robert build a new mount.

Listening to Doug and Clay was sobering because they had so many things in their heads from instinct. I need to make up some laminated check lists for our boat.

Boat of a lifetime enjoy it. I hope to catch a glimpse of you doing 2X my speed some day.

....and I hope we enjoy ours as much as you do yours .

Who knows some summer there might be a SFPC rendezvous, where we could get to meet each other.

Last edited:
Boat sure turned out nice Bill. One quirk with the Suzukis is that the legs need to be dropped yearly and the splines of the drive shaft greased. If left too long it could cause an issue where it’ll be impossible to remove. I’m sure breakers mentioned but thought I would just incase . Enjoy

Boat sure turned out nice Bill. One quirk with the Suzukis is that the legs need to be dropped yearly and the splines of the drive shaft greased. If left too long it could cause an issue where it’ll be impossible to remove. I’m sure breakers mentioned but thought I would just incase . Enjoy

They did, and they will be doing the maintenance service on the motors .

I have the twin 200 Zukes on my boat and love them. Very quiet and love the ability to control the trolling speed by 50 rpm increments with a simple button.

One tip is to ensure that you get the procedure for turning off the maintenance needed alarm from the dealer and keep it handy. The Suzuki's will send out an alarm at 100 hours (and other maintenance intervals) that you need maintenance. It will continue to repeat the alarm, every 15 seconds in a very loud and annoying manner. And there isn't a simple and logical way to stop the alarm.

I know because I was fishing off of Renfrew, out of cell range when mine went off. Drove me insane. Eventually, I managed to text the dealer and got the sequence which involves turning on and off the boat, pulling the kill switch, all while patting your head and rubbing your belly, etc etc. I now have the sequence printed and a copy inside my glove box to avoid the issue in the future.

LOL- I have the 200’s as well, had the same alarm go off while out of service. It’s an easy sequence to shut it off but I did take a pic of it. Awesome motors. I’m at 350 hours on my 2018’s
That’s funny and good advice, I have twin Suzukis and my oil change alarm went off the second I got to the head of Rivers inlet and I had no idea how to shut it off. No cell service so I had to Use my inreach to message a friend. No idea why they made it so complicated to reset the alarm.

And for everyone else who will forget about this alarm until it goes off here is the procedure.

1646493303252.png

Home Port

Being trailer less and without a suitable tow vehicle we arranged for Breakers Marine to deliver Aluminiferous to Nanaimo where we had arranged docking at the Municipal Dock. Now the dock we chose was double gated for security.

She was moored on Wednesday and I went over Sunday to prepare her for the trip to Reed Point Marina

My friend Doug agreed to come along and met me at the boat shortly after 6 am Sunday.

Here she is tied to the dock

1646636879589.jpeg

Last edited:
First order of business was to get our route laid out, check weather, and do a final vessel inspection before heading to the fuel dock.

My first time at the wheel (when it wasn't snowing) was to move us the fuel dock to take on 430 liter's of of marine gas.($905.30)

I took this photo the night before after I had tidied things up on board.

1646664756917.png

This fine fellow appears to be in a semi live aboard situation. He told me his name was River Otter and he prefers sail to power.

From the looks of things he keeps his boat **** Shape and he is planning a crossing to Guano.

1646664940194.png

1646664998628.png

Last edited:
We then headed out and had a perfect day for a crossing. We tootled up by the the line of marinas and the 8:25 Ferry to Horseshoe Bay passed in front of us, just before we left the channel to head east.

We set a comfortable pace and head to Vancouver, seas were about half a metre and we set a comfortable pace which coincidentally seemed close to that of the BC Ferry. Now we were heading to the Lion's Gate and our courses diverged during the crossing and we were likely 2- 3 miles astern and the same distance south east of the ferry when it moved around Bowen Island.

We ran with the rear cabin door open, adjusting engine speed on the crossing and conversation was easy (not strained).

The Highbacked Shockwave seats are really something.

Log /debris watch was not too busy and we couldn't have had a nicer day for a crossing.

I didn't get an exact time for the gas bar to our Reed Point slip but it was just under 3 hours.

Crossing under the Lion's Gate and by a freighter in the harbor (photos by D. Moore)

1646664532877.png

1646664553704.png

Anchored just west of Second Narrows (we gave it a wash)

1646664595230.png

Last edited:
Back