2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Inside Cockpit facing open stern​

Black Vent hose will connect to the blower . (Required in hold where 125 US Gallon ( 473 Litre fuel tank is installed and fuel Lines are connected). Exterior vent shown in first photo

Rear transom with a door on the port side facing aft. Robert built a seat across the remaining width of the stern with a backrest. Removable cushions with a fish cleaning board under cushions that drain over the stern. Storage area under the seat will have doors (locks and will house three Size 31 batteries, battery switches plus a bunch of stuff I can't remember right now
Any consideration into the lithium batteries? I’ve seen a boat or two with sizeable ones that can run AC systems and more. Lighter and more reliable than a generator when combined with solar, rumour is…

Boats looking good!

Any consideration into the lithium batteries? I’ve seen a boat or two with sizeable ones that can run AC systems and more. Lighter and more reliable than a generator when combined with solar, rumour is…

Boats looking good!

Batteries like many things are hard to get these days.

We have an account at Edmonds Batteries and I popped in there to see if they had any batteries in Size 31 . Another client had ordered 8 size 31 AGM's quite some time ago (months) and when they arrived earlier in the week the client only needed 3 of the 8. I bought my three (Start, Start, House) leaving two for someone else. I had been looking everywhere for batteries.

Lithium Batteries have too many unknowns higher cost, and risks for my comfort level

Ah Yes screens something you didn't know you needed until you need them.

Agreed,

One thing I forgot to mention was we are adding, at Robert's suggestion is an 18 by 18 Lewmar hatch (tinted with screen ) in the cabin roof. It will give us a little more ventilation on a hot day.

Last edited:
West Coast Boats aluminum thickness.

A friend was telling me about the XO Boats and how they were built to a much heavier specification that our local builds.

So I wanted to see for myself

Bottom 5 mm

Sides 4mm

JaxonCraft

Bottom 1/4 or 6.35 mm

Sides 3/16 or 4.78 mm

XO uses 5083 Aluminum JaxonCraft and many other BC builders use 5086 and some use a combination 5086 and 5052 Aluminum

Here is a detailed explanation of the differences between the two

I am more of a words and pictures guy so this illustration will explain the differences as I understood them.

1630286579473.png

September 10, 2021 Update

My wife and I headed over on the 5:15 Ferry to meet with Robert, drop off some items for the boat and discuss where we are in the build and talk over any things that may have come up since the last time I was over to see the boat. (mid August)

I have to say that working with Robert has been an easy and enjoyable experience. We communicate via email weekly and he provides guidance and listens to our needs carefully.

The shop was closed for vacation at the end of August and this had been explained to us in April before we even wrote our first cheque.

So lets lets look at some photos of where the build is today.

Batteries like many things are hard to get these days.

We have an account at Edmonds Batteries and I popped in there to see if they had any batteries in Size 31 . Another client had ordered 8 size 31 AGM's quite some time ago (months) and when they arrived earlier in the week the client only needed 3 of the 8. I bought my three (Start, Start, House) leaving two for someone else. I had been looking everywhere for batteries.

Lithium Batteries have too many unknowns higher cost, and risks for my comfort level

Lithium ion certainly has its safety issues

However LiFePO4 batteries are much more stable, have higher cycle capacity and are super lightweight. The two knocks against them is not being able to charge when they are to cold and they don't have the the high amp discharge capability as lead acid or lithium ion. Prices are finally coming down but are still high. Even with the high prices the lifecycle cost is still better. Problem is most owners wont cycle them enough to pay them off.

If I get into a large boat ill have the house batteries will be LiFePO4 and start batterys just lead acid. When i get my camper this fall I will be adding LiFePO4 batteries, perfect for a camper here space is limited. Nothing worse than a 230 amp hour pair of 6vs that weigh 140 lbs and only actually give 115 amp hours of juice if you want them to last. A single 100AH LiFePO4 will nearly outperform a pair of 6vs unless you draw those 6vs down low enough and reduce its life to 300-500 cycles.

Some New Photos as of September 10/21

Photo of my wife and Robert stand in the boat discussing how the stern seating area is going to look.

Note the curve of the roofline Robert had the rear overhang rolled at a local sheet metal shop into the curve you see. This is a very elegant feature and at 6'4" in a set of trail runners I have ample standing headroom from side to side.

On the port side there will be a flip up raised edge table that will hold the BBQ out of the rain and when the BBQ is stored away we will have a place to put out snacks, eat breakfast, or just set down a book.

On the Starboard side there will be an aluminum box seat with storage underneath the upholstered cushion.

The starboard inwhale at the curve will have the plug in for shore power.

Yeti tiedowns will be installed on the deck for our a 45 litre Yeti Cooler with lid cushion. There will be a few hard points to secure the Yeti to the boat will be welded in.

1631464911153.jpeg

Last edited:
Photo of Dash roughed in.
Robert has the the Furuno 12" flat screen, the Suzuki Individual Digital Engine controls and all the other panel mounted gauge and switch measurements. We will be using a tilt stainless spoked destroyer wheel with the wheel rim wrapped in black insulating material.
t
1631463106046.jpeg
b

Last edited:
Front & Back of Dash Passenger Side showing Glove Box.

The back opening will have snaps around the opening and a soft cover that can be easily unsnapped for access to any electrical cabling. On the passenger side the electronics will be the radio wiring, USB and Cigarette lighter plugs, and a small chart light on a goose neck.

1631464735074.jpeg

1631464099358.jpeg

Last edited:
Back