2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Robert just sent me some new photos of the boat. Note this is not our trailer.

The cockpit coaming needs to be finished the rear seat built but things are coming together

We are not buying a trailer for a number of reasons staring with we have moorage at Reed Point and I have never towed anything heavier than a canoe trailer holding 6 cedar strip canoes, with a 1975 Ford LTD wagon with a 403 Cubic Inch motor as the tow vehicle in 1976 & 77.

Some more good news Breakers found us a brand new pair of 2020 Yamaha 200's (A customer's boat is delayed -overseas build) and some happy boater will soon be buying my never titled pair of 2021 150's

IMG_6574.jpeg

IMG_6573.jpeg

Last edited:
Robert just sent me some new photos of the boat. Note this is not our trailer.

The cockpit coaming needs to be finished the rear seat built but things are coming together

We are not buying a trailer for a number of reasons staring with we have moorage at Reed Point and I have never towed anything heavier than a canoe trailer holding 6 cedar strip canoes, with a 1975 Ford LTD wagon with a 403 Cubic Inch motor as the tow vehicle in 1976 & 77.

Some more good news Breakers found us a brand new pair of 2020 Yamaha 200's (A customer's boat is delayed -overseas build) and some happy boater will soon be buying my never titled pair of 2021 150's

View attachment 70851

View attachment 70852
Sexy

Of course the excitement of a build never ends.

When I was last over to see Robert, the Trip before this one (last photos posted) I said to Robert, "So knowing what you know at this stage in the build and how things are progressing, would you wish we had done anything different in planning the build, or wished that I had made any different decisions in what we are buying for the boat".

Robert, thought for a moment, (or collected his thoughts ) and then said , "You know your boat is going to be a lot heavier than ReelSlim's, and he has a much lighter boat to begin with no rear door or rear cabin walls etc."

He paused and then said, "I am a bit concerned / worried you may not be happy with the performance of twin 150's and I think you should really consider buying twin 200's." :D.

Well being told that now while it is a small still a relatively small cost to change things around. was very helpful. I am being very serious here, Robert's integrity and forth righteousness cannot be overstated. ReelSlim did me a solid with his positive reference on his build experience.

I called Breaker's Marine in Port Alberni and things are being handled on that front. Another good decision we made, Breakers and our salesperson Jeremy have been excellent to deal with, and of course they were a Robert recommendation.

The good news is no change in engine weight and all the fly-by wire controls and instruments are 100% interchangeable

This discussion once again reinforced our belief that we made a good decision hiring Robert to build our boat.
Twin150’s are not enough. Good choice to go bigger. I had a similar boat built (Northwest 27 by 9.5) and was going with twin 175 but opted for twin 200. Good choice.

Twin150’s are not enough. Good choice to go bigger. I had a similar boat built (Northwest 27 by 9.5) and was going with twin 175 but opted for twin 200. Good choice.
No offence but completely different hulls. Yes 200 is more power than the 150s but it would of performed fine. It’s going to be heavier than mine but the hull is very efficient and planes quickly with zero tab….it just sits down and goes.

No offence but completely different hulls. Yes 200 is more power than the 150s but it would of performed fine. It’s going to be heavier than mine but the hull is very efficient and planes quickly with zero tab….it just sits down and goes.
Reel, what are the differences between yours’ and Bills’ hulls (from what you can tell)? He said his is going to be heavier than yours, was curious as to why.

Reel, what are the differences between yours’ and Bills’ hulls (from what you can tell)? He said his is going to be heavier than yours, was curious as to why.
Mine and Bills hulls are identical. I was making reference to the Jaxon hull vs the Northwest. Don’t get me wrong Northwest’s are good boats but definitely different hulls.

Our boat is going to be heavier because of the choices we made in the build.

I don't know where the extra weight is coming from but I am making a few guesses

1. We have a solid rear cabin door with windows, ReelSlim has the drop curtain.

2. We are having a more elaborate stern area with a large nearly boat width seat for my wife and the grand nieces and nephews.

3. Our cabin is taller so that I can walk around inside (6'7" clearance)

4. The higher cockpit sides (8")

5. Larger side windows and frames, larger windshield glass and frames . Two hatches and framing.

6. Longer v-berth

7. Perhaps our anchor and winch are heavier

8. Roof racks

9. Outside storage seat

10. Outside Folding table

12. 24 pounds extra motor weight and our total battery weight is 3 x 90 =270 pounds

13. I expect I weight more than ReelSlim

14, We have space for 30 gallons of fresh water (240 pounds)

15 Like Reel Slim we carry 478 litres of fuel

Incidentally , Robert told me one client has twin 300's on this model. I am sure it moves right along but I am conscious of the cost and the weight at the stern. I don't need to go that fast I grew zipping around in SS and SK race boats and I have ridden my motorcycle on the autobahn.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this thing slice through the flotilla at the cap next year. Definitely go for the serrated bow pulpit.

She's a beauty, well done.

Well moorage is starting to working out for us it seems. Things were desperate this spring, I called and visited most marinas and had little success. The very nice people at the old delta hotel at the airport had available moorage but we weren't quite sure of how long our boat would be with motors up, and we had to pass as their max slip was 30 feet.

The other things we considered included the drive to get there and the logs/debris moving down the Fraser ( and the tide spring run off excitement). My neighbour a lumber buyer had just had a boom of hemlock logs go missing in the Fraser ( sunk or broken up) and he laughingly asked me to see if I could look for them using my " magic" propellers. :D

We had deposits at a bunch of different marinas and my wife liked Reed Point, easy access to Indian Arm for after dinner trips and with 850 berths it seemed like a wait list might have possibilities,

We signed up on the wait list and soon it became clear that as the song says "If you can't be with the one you love , love the one you're with."

We told the Marina we would take anything that came up that was larger than 36 feet. (It is harder to rent a spot or go on a awaiting list when you don't know how long your boat is going to be with motors tipped and anchor on the bowsprit). I called every few weeks, and we dropped by and met the very nice staff a few times,

So we ended up with a 45 foot covered slip on June 1st. We weren't allowed to rent it out.

The new reservation waiting process requires a reservation for a spot and that costs $250.00 . We signed up to move down in size when we got the 45 foot slip. I think when we took the new spot we got our $250 wait list deposit back.

I get a call on Thursday telling me that a smaller covered slip 36" is now available. Our boat with bowsprit. anchor, and motors tipped up, will be about 32’6” stretched out in the sun (as the saying goes).

A covered slip is a bit of an indulgence money wise, but walking the docks, the difference in boat appearance between covered and uncovered is quite noticeable.

Last edited:
Man you boat looks like it's moving just sitting there. Can't wait to see the sea trial pictures but will check in to get my fix until them.

So last night I went back and re-read ReelSlim's 2019 build of his JaxonCraft that I linked to in my first post of this thread. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend that you do.

I wanted to take a moment before our build is finished to thank RS for all the help he gave us by writing his thread and especially for all his off line assistance , when we were deciding to go ahead with this build and after we made the decision to build.

RS and I had many ,many, emails back and forth and RS was extremely generous with his time and his experienced advice. He has our thanks for all the time he spent answering emails after a long day at work.

My wife and I have the advantage of close proximity to Robert, that someone living and working in Northern Alberta like RS doesn't.
RS told me build visitations were a worthwhile and important part of the process and because I was so close we should make regular visits. Best advice ever.

I am convinced that being able to get over to see the build as it is happening is extremely advantageous and I knew from conversations I had had with other builders that some builders are not as generous with visitation rights as Robert has been.

My friends often ask me how many differed boats did you try out before you settled on a JaxonCraft, and what made you decide to buy one.

It is pretty hilarious the look on peoples faces when I explain my criteria was not hitting my head in the boat, welded aluminum construction
, a V-berth that was long enough for me to lay down in , and that I wanted to buy a made in BC boat, and that I found the boat that I wanted on an internet forum by reading a build thread.

To answer your question I have never been in a JaxonCraft except for ours in the shop on land.

We expect the build to be finished by mid to late November, then electronic, and then motor installs.

@Admin If Admin is reading this I might suggest that they add a sub forum just for builds, new boat setups and restorations and move all these threads into one common place.

Great threads like jeffywestcoast's NewLittleTinny, and cracked_ribs' Skiff. and there are so many more I could mention.

I think it would drive traffic to the site and lump all of the builds, rigging of new and new to the owner boats, and rebuilds together.

Last edited:
So last night I went back and re-read ReelSlim's 2019 build of his JaxonCraft that I linked to in my first post of this thread. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend that you do.

I wanted to take a moment before our build is finished to thank RS for all the help he gave us by writing his thread and especially for all his off line assistance , when we were deciding to go ahead with this build and after we made the decision to build.

RS and I had many ,many, emails back and forth and RS was extremely generous with his time and his experienced advice. He has our thanks for all the time he spent answering emails after a long day at work.

My wife and I have the advantage of close proximity to Robert, that someone living and working in Northern Alberta like RS doesn't.
RS told me build visitations were a worthwhile and important part of the process and because I was so close we should make regular visits. Best advice ever.

I am convinced that being able to get over to see the build as it is happening is extremely advantageous and I knew from conversations I had had with other builders that some builders are not as generous with visitation rights as Robert has been.

My friends often ask me how many differed boats did you try out before you settled on a JaxonCraft, and what made you decide to buy one.

It is pretty hilarious the look on peoples faces when I explain my criteria was not hitting my head in the boat, welded aluminum construction
, a V-berth that was long enough for me to lay down in , and that I wanted to buy a made in BC boat, and that I found the boat that I wanted on an internet forum by reading a build thread.

To answer your question I have never been in a JaxonCraft except for ours in the shop on land.

We expect the build to be finished by mid to late November, then electronic, and then motor installs.

If Admin is reading this I might suggest that they add a sub forum just for builds, new boat setups and restorations and move all these threads into one common place.

I think it would drive traffic to the site and lump all of the builds, rigging of new and new to the owner boats, and rebuilds together.
You can @Admin if you'd like them to see

In your last set of pictures (top one) you can see 2 bent alum. tubes behind the windshield..I was wondering if they are temporary or will be used for rigging ,radar wiring etc..Great looking boat.

In your last set of pictures (top one) you can see 2 bent alum. tubes behind the windshield..I was wondering if they are temporary or will be used for rigging ,radar wiring etc..Great looking boat.

Thank you for the compliment. As far as I know the tubing is a wiring conduit for radar, lights, XM antenna, 360 degree mooring light, etc., etc.

@Admin If Admin is reading this I might suggest that they add a sub forum just for builds, new boat setups and restorations and move all these threads into one common place.

Great threads like jeffywestcoast's NewLittleTinny, and cracked_ribs' Skiff. and there are so many more I could mention.

Thanks Bill

I'm glad you found the thread useful and I was more than happy to answer your questions along the way. If it makes you feel better I had never been on a JaxonCraft either before I had the boat built. I was on a lot of other aluminums though and definitely made the right decision for what I wanted in the end. You will be very happy with yours for years to come....Enjoy!

Greg

Loved the boat until you added the 8" gunnel extension. That ruined it for me. Makes the boat difficult to use for any fisherman. That will narrow your resale audience in the future. Also looks weird and may be a tripping hazard when getting in and out. Until that point, a dream boat!

Back