2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

So we made a quick trip over to see the build and spend some time with Robert reviewing the build . We can't emphasize enough how beneficial these build visits are, and we understand why Robert encourages them. It is also important that both parties have good chemistry and can communicate well with each other.

So now on with the photos and commentary.

The Spray Rails are no longer just tacked on to the hull. They are now completely welded to the hull for their full length. Note to reader I am calling them Spray Rails after some perhaps faulty research , but I can't see these being strakes because of their position on the side of the hull.

IMG_0100.jpg

Close-up of welds

IMG_0101.jpg

Next let's look at the interior hatch framing. The V-Berth Hatch is 24 x 24 and the Cabin Hatch is 18 x 18. Both will offer screened ventilation, dark tinted privacy and in the case of the V Berth hatch emergency egress.

You can see the Lone Star Winch inside the anchor locker, power and switch cables are attached. The winch is not mounted in it's final position.

IMG_0084.jpg

The Cabin Hatch, I may have mentioned came about as a result of the three us sitting in a recently completed boat early on in our boat's construction. It got a bit warm in the boat and Robert mentioned the idea of putting a second hatch in the ceiling of the cabin to allow for more cabin ventilation in warm weather. My wife said "Yes" before I even had processed the idea completely.

With a fully insulated and paneled cabin, diesel heat, and screened opening windows, hatches and door we should be able to remain coolish on the few warmish days we get each year.

IMG_0083.jpg

The Cabin door has been hung and it will have a vertical sliding window with screens. I have clearance stepping though the door. It will lock open and shut. (Swings Out) Note the handrail on the starboard and port roof edging.

No photos yet but there will be a small horizontal mounted step on each side of the cockpit to allow safe access to the gunnel walkway to the bow. This step was on installed on a prior build that was visible in some earlier shots. There are as you know roof hand rails already built.

1634360289098.png

Below

Sides storage racks partially installed. Also in photo, transom door opening and inspection port to allow wiring and cable access.

1634360380823.png

Rocket Launchers test mounted on cabin (part of a pair one rocket launcher per side (6 rods in total). Note: Net mounting point not yet completed .

1634360965791.jpeg

Or stiffening rail.

Be cautious where you put that cabin 18x18 vent - in the shoulder season you could get some decent condensation dripping down. Best if it's not on your head / neck while underway.

Thanks to both you and Gong Show for help on that name.

The cabin vent is centred midline aft of the pilot / co-pilot seats. Robert had raised that very point of condensation with us and had specified the smaller hatch size.

Reactions: BCI
The rear seat.

History when we decided to have the boat built one thing my wife wanted was a seat at the stern of the boat.

She wanted to be able sit out at the back of the boat on a nice day and fish, watch the lines or talk with her friends. Fair enough.

Now before any of you think my wife is a precious girly girl, she is not that in the least. In 20079 she rode her motorcycle along a mutual pal of ours and myself to Inuvik, the next year she and I rode to Prudhoe Bay and back.

Robert was intrigued with the idea of building the rear seat that my wife wanted and spent hours designing one for her.
The seat cushions will snap on and off. There is a backrest. Under the bottom cushion will be a white plastic bait prep / fish gutting area. (see drain holes). At the end of the seat there will be a stern steering wheel with room on the seat for two regular size or three smaller people .

The salt water washdown is in the lower right hand corner of the stern. Clean-up should be easier

These photos are not of the finished product, and I expected that there will be a lot of changes still to come as this part of the build progresses.

IMG_0090 (3).jpg

IMG_0089 (5).jpg

Bill a few quick questions and thoughts;

1. I see the rod holders on the side. Where is the net holder going to be? Vertical between the rod holders and the house? Vertical is the easiest to get in/out without torque leverage from an angled design, however some don't like seeing nets vertical on the boat.

2. Those welds look great - dimes.

3. The cutting board cleaning table under the rear seat - consider if the table is low (a-la circa 2010 Kingfisher 2825 that I banged around in for 24 months before losing my sanity) your back will be complaining after cleaning a couple fish. If it is that low, consider some kind of design which will bring it up so you aren't hunched over for periods cleaning fish. Perhaps you could slide in / out the starboard cutting surface from 'storage height' to 'usage height' depending on how many fish you need to clean.

4. Cockpit shelves - as long as it does not interfere with any in floor storage in the cockpit, consider a second shelf, one that is about 4-5 inches above the cockpit sole and runs the length. Use it primarily for toe-hold when leaning over the side doing stuff, and also gives you a second shelf. Makes a good way to keep flashers and rigs you used for fishing organized and out of the way ready to be used again or fresh water rinsed at the end of the day. Makes a good place to store extra dock lines, lead, etc. Can also be used as a step one shelf to the next shelf to the gunnel, without having to put steps in.

QLGP7660.JPG

Bill a few quick questions and thoughts;

4. Cockpit shelves -Use it primarily for toe-hold when leaning over the side doing stuff, and also gives you a second shelf. Makes a good way to keep flashers and rigs you used for fishing organized and out of the way ready to be used again or fresh water rinsed at the end of the day. Makes a good place to store extra dock lines, lead, etc. Can also be used as a step one shelf to the next shelf to the gunnel, without having to put steps in.

View attachment 71517
I also wondered about a toe-hold for leaning over to gaff release and other reasons.

BCI, thanks for the input.

1. I see the rod holders on the side. Where is the net holder going to be? Vertical between the rod holders and the house? Vertical is the easiest to get in/out without torque leverage from an angled design, however some don't like seeing nets vertical on the boat.

Sounding like launch control, "Yes, we are going vertical." I have been given permission to measure some "butts". Robert is going to put a vertical net tube into the gunnel, near the rod rack (with a drain).
2. Those welds look great - dimes.

Yes, looking at those welds takes me back to my high school welding class when if someone had made just one dime shaped swirl before creating a vomitus appearing mess of pinholes, burn marks and carbon pock-marked pits of hell we all felt a miracle had just occurred .

3. The cutting board cleaning table under the rear seat - consider if the table is low (a-la circa 2010 Kingfisher 2825 that I banged around in for 24 months before losing my sanity) your back will be complaining after cleaning a couple fish. If it is that low, consider some kind of design which will bring it up so you aren't hunched over for periods cleaning fish. Perhaps you could slide in / out the starboard cutting surface from 'storage height' to 'usage height' depending on how many fish you need to clean.

Yeah, that is a very valid issue , and we have been talking about that. We have a small cockpit per se and I had though about trying to mount something that was going to be higher. I am a bit of a freak of nature for my height with a 32" inseam while being nearly 6'4" and with chimp like arms 38" sleeve length so everything in my life is an ergonomic adventure.

I found it reassuring that you are considering that I may actually catch a few fish. Long ago I threw the price per pound of the first salmon caught on this boat out the window. At least I can feel comfort in know the price per pound amortized over the boat cost will continue to plummet.

4. Cockpit shelves - as long as it does not interfere with any in floor storage in the cockpit, consider a second shelf, one that is about 4-5 inches above the cockpit sole and runs the length. Use it primarily for toe-hold when leaning over the side doing stuff, and also gives you a second shelf. Makes a good way to keep flashers and rigs you used for fishing organized and out of the way ready to be used again or fresh water rinsed at the end of the day. Makes a good place to store extra dock lines, lead, etc. Can also be used as a step one shelf to the next shelf to the gunnel, without having to put steps in.

I really like that idea and I will talk to Robert about it and see if it is possible space wise. Thanks for that. I don't have a photo of the step thing Robert builds and I can't describe it but when you see it I think you will understand it's versatility, and my wife thinks it is a good idea.

Which way is the rear door going to pivot? My rear door goes out and I can’t stand it. I’ve tilted the motor into it once already while cleaning my anodes. Just food for thought.

Did you consider a sliding door to the cockpit as opposed to a swing door?
I was going to ask the same question. My Seasport has a swing out door and have been on others that have the sliding door. The sliding door is 100% better. If there is anyway you can put a sliding door in I don’t think you will regret it.

Did you consider a sliding door to the cockpit as opposed to a swing door?

No we didn't think of a sliding door, and I can certainly see the appeal but as you can see from the photos we are too far along in the build now to make that kind of a change.

As far as the swing (in or out) again I am not certain which way the door will go but I seem to remember seeing a photo of an earlier JaxonCraft where the door swung inwards.

I checked with Robert and the Starboard is 30" off the deck. Fortunately my wife is 5'5 so her back will probably be fine cleaning her fish. :D

Our kitchen counters are 36"so it will be too low for me , but at the same time I don't want my wife to be in an "Edith Anne" type of sitting arrangement.

If the cleaning area is too low for me (I think it is) we can work our something using some Scotty or Burwiin mounts and a bait table. I want to get things finished first and then have the time to sit and ponder.

Asking Robert to add a upper slide track into the seat as you suggested while being brilliant may be the most expensive option both expensive and delay the build completion date. We are looking now at the end of November which is pretty close to the original estimate of mid November.

In addition the rear seat is my wife's request and idea and she is Really Happy with it as it sits and I think things are better left as they are.

Reactions: BCI
You could still do a sliding door - they just weld some channel overhead and along the closing surface. See photo for general idea;
And here I though you were talking about the transom door. BTW your boat looks amazing and not at all underpowered .

A sliding door would interfere with the fold down table that will be attached on the rear cabin wall where your slide track is. The other side has a box seat with storage and a removable cushion

I can’t remember what you are doing for heat but I remember you saying you are trying to keep the cooking stuff portable and you aren’t putting in a stove. Have you ever seen the wallas heater, single burner combos? They mount on a countertop and are quite small so won’t take up too much counter space and when closed they are a heater. https://wallas.ca/product/85xc/

Last edited:
And here I though you were talking about the transom door. BTW your boat looks amazing and not at all underpowered .

A sliding door would interfere with the fold down table that will be attached on the rear cabin wall where your slide track is. The other side has a box seat with storage and a removable cushion

Sounds like the conventional door is the way to go for your needs then. As you said, a scotty pedestal base is an easy way to get some extra inches on the cleaning table if it ever ends up bugging you. Always good to spitball ideas, sounds like you've thought it through well.

The transom shot of the red North River is just a marina shot of a boat to give you some ideas of how other builders have tackled some things - the picture being worth 1000 words etc etc. Not mine.

Please keep us posted with new photos of your Jaxon as you get them. Mid/End of November is very close - can't wait to see it as it all comes together now at the end.

Back