2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Loved the boat until you added the 8" gunnel extension. That ruined it for me. Makes the boat difficult to use for any fisherman. That will narrow your resale audience in the future. Also looks weird and may be a tripping hazard when getting in and out. Until that point, a dream boat!
I think post 47 mentions a transom door for ingress egress

Loved the boat until you added the 8" gunnel extension. That ruined it for me. Makes the boat difficult to use for any fisherman. That will narrow your resale audience in the future. Also looks weird and may be a tripping hazard when getting in and out. Until that point, a dream boat!

Sorry I ruined my boat for you, but I didn't build it for you, I built it for my wife and me and funnily enough we built it for what we wanted.

That is the joy of building a semi custom boat you can have what you want, and this is what we wanted.

I expect for the right buyer my modifications will be valued. The modifications we put in to the boat will be welcomed by another tall boater. because they may want to own a boat where they won't hit their head in the cabin, a boat where they can sleep stretched out in the V berth and not curled in a fetal position.

A tall buyer who wants a boat that accommodates them physically and doesn't want to gunnels that barely reach up halfway up their tib / fib will be interested in my boat.

The center of gravity of a person changes with their height and since humans are top heavy, taller people will have a harder time balancing.
In other words I am more prone to have a more difficult time dealing with the motion of the boat (keeping my balance) while reeling in a fish, cutting bait, or moving around the boat at trolling speeds or slower.

So when you compound the effects of being taller, taller people having more trouble balancing than short people, a shorter person will always be safer than a taller person assuming they have the same level of athletic ability and sense of balance. Add in age to the equation and being tall has risks that increase with age. Shorter people are less likely to fall down, and when they do, they're less likely to be injured. Simply put, shorter people are closer to the ground, which makes falls less dangerous for them.

So when you consider taller people are more likely to fall, and on a boat there is the added risk of falling overboard just by not being able to catch oneself it makes sense for me to want to mitigate that risk by as much as possible by increasing gunnel height by 8"

As far as resale goes , when we sell the boat it would not be a complex project for the new owner to remove the 8" gunnel extension and smooth out the top surface of the original gunnels. Compared to what some folks on here have to do to modify the used boats they buy, that is a pretty simple job.

Regarding boarding and disembarking , there will be a transom door on the boat.

If the gunnel extension ruined the build for you, just wait for the stern seating area . :eek:

Sorry I ruined my boat for you, but I didn't build it for you, I built it for my wife and me and funnily enough we built it for what we wanted.

That is the joy of building a semi custom boat you can have what you want, and this is what we wanted.

I expect for the right buyer my modifications will be valued. The modifications we put in to the boat will be welcomed by another tall boater. because they may want to own a boat where they won't hit their head in the cabin, a boat where they can sleep stretched out in the V berth and not curled in a fetal position.

A tall buyer who wants a boat that accommodates them physically and doesn't want to gunnels that barely reach up halfway up their tib / fib will be interested in my boat.

The center of gravity of a person changes with their height and since humans are top heavy, taller people will have a harder time balancing.
In other words I am more prone to have a more difficult time dealing with the motion of the boat (keeping my balance) while reeling in a fish, cutting bait, or moving around the boat at trolling speeds or slower.

So when you compound the effects of being taller, taller people having more trouble balancing than short people, a shorter person will always be safer than a taller person assuming they have the same level of athletic ability and sense of balance. Add in age to the equation and being tall has risks that increase with age. Shorter people are less likely to fall down, and when they do, they're less likely to be injured. Simply put, shorter people are closer to the ground, which makes falls less dangerous for them.

So when you consider taller people are more likely to fall, and on a boat there is the added risk of falling overboard just by not being able to catch oneself it makes sense for me to want to mitigate that risk by as much as possible by increasing gunnel height by 8"

As far as resale goes , when we sell the boat it would not be a complex project for the new owner to remove the 8" gunnel extension and smooth out the top surface of the original gunnels. Compared to what some folks on here have to do to modify the used boats they buy, that is a pretty simple job.

If the gunnel extension ruined the build for you, just wait for the stern seating area . :eek:
As someone as tall as yourself, I can vouch for the things you mention. The high center of gravity has aided to a few spills sheep hunting over the years (especially with a 55 pound pack strapped on). I appreciate the thought you’ve put into building your boat.

Just for ***** and giggles... is there any reason why they couldn't have raised the whole gunnel?

Just for ***** and giggles... is there any reason why they couldn't have raised the whole gunnel?
Robert has done these raised gunnels before and guessing I wonder he builds them like this to manage costs (less aluminum and time) and allow a future owner to easily trim the gunnels back.

Robert has done these raised gunnels before and guessing I wonder he builds them like this to manage costs (less aluminum and time) and allow a future owner to easily trim the gunnels back.
Makes sense. Thanks

I just want to extend my services as ballast or whatever when you run this back over to Reed point, I figure I can manage myself around said gunnels with modest ease.

We just have to stop and drag some lines to get that deck bloody on the way.

A very well written response.

It is obvious you have done your research and you have built the boat that works for you. Congratulations on what will be a PERFECT custom boat for you and your needs. The boat you have built is the one I would choose 100% of the time over the low gunnel design.

At 6'4" with a 36" inseam, I was sick and tired of hitting my shins and knee caps on some alloy boats 25-26" cockpit to gunnel height. Those low gunnels hit all the wrong parts of your leg, and when hitting your knees etc you don't have much stopping you from going over into the water. Not such a factor in protected water, but terrible in bigger waters. I had my alloy boat but with an extra tall house, and 29.5" gunnel height with a 6" high railing. It is now much safer on board fishing the big water, and we have ZERO problems fishing this configuration for all species. Added bonus you don't need to duck down to see through the house when operating at the back steering station.

Well done on your choices. The reason for doing a custom boat is to get what works for you. Otherwise there are a ton of off the shelf solution already available for less outlay.

Love the forward overhang over the windows and nice clean access to the wiring and batteries. As much as I love getting down on my knees and trying to find fuses and look at my batteries out on the chuck, it looks like you have a great setup.

Guess some guys can bring some wine and a step ladder!

Having a little experience fishing off shore and two kids prone to climbing over everything, I’m pretty happy to have high gunnels, but once again your boat and no one should buy a boat for resale as the cost of ownership are so high. Yes there are a few exceptions and those guys are smarter than the rest of us ;).

When do you think the launch will happen Xmas?

Love the forward overhang over the windows and nice clean access to the wiring and batteries. As much as I love getting down on my knees and trying to find fuses and look at my batteries out on the chuck, it looks like you have a great setup.

Guess some guys can bring some wine and a step ladder!

Having a little experience fishing off shore and two kids prone to climbing over everything, I’m pretty happy to have high gunnels, but once again your boat and no one should buy a boat for resale as the cost of ownership are so high. Yes there are a few exceptions and those guys are smarter than the rest of us ;).

When do you think the launch will happen Xmas?

We are heading over Friday to see Robert and deal with some build things that he will have questions about our preference on, and/ or give us choices on some things. I expect that the stern seat that my wife wants will be a topic of discussion and the two of them will finalize those questions.

ReelSlim's point that he was further away ( Alberta) and not able to visit the boat as often as he would have liked ,and as a result Robert would make the best decisions he could while moving the build along, struck home with me.

We will have made 6 or 7 visits before the boat is finished and each one has been both worthwhile and enjoyable.

We will start bringing things home this trip (Prawn & Crab Traps, Water Jugs) and a few other things Robert needed during the build to make things fit for us.

We will take the measurements of our small propane Coleman Stove over this time to make certain the exterior flip up table will fit on it.

I expect the mounting position of the shockwave seat bases and seats will be on the menu. We have the slider mount on the Pilot's seat and (slider/swivel on the passenger seat) I expect Robert, my wife and I ( 5'4" & 6'4" ) will work out the compromise mounting position for the Pilot seat.

I know my wife wants to see where any vertical hand rails are going to mounted in the cockpit.

Hopefully, we will have an ETA on the windows. I expect they will arrive in the next 3 weeks or so.

Launch date - I am thinking the boat will be finished at Roberts mid to Late November. He will drill the motor mount holes for the motor install and then Breaker's Marine will come get the boat. All of the Electronics will be installed at Robert's Shop before it leaves and he will have mounted the Suzuki gauges and controls and the little things, USB plugs, etc.

The placement of the shore power plug and the inside electrical panel will be on the Agenda as well.

We will head over to Breaker's for the initial launch, have a boat naming ceremony, and go out with Breaker's Marine on the initial run.

Then we have to co-ordinate getting the boat back to likely Nanaimo for the launch and the trip over to Reed Point. That will of course be weather dependent and take more planning than the invasion of Grenada and will occur at a most inconvenient time for me work wise.

When I have time I will write the Flag Pole story :D

Bill 310, being a taller guy myself I'll take that 8'' gunnel extension all day long
as mentioned use the egress door when required by lil people.....;)......or wives kids etc
beautiful build....

Bill 310, being a taller guy myself I'll take that 8'' gunnel extension all day long
as mentioned use the egress door when required by lil people.....;)......or wives kids etc
beautiful build....

After fishing on both our boats, along with a bunch of others, the tall gunnels on mine with the padded rub rail feature are a game changer. I wouldn’t own another boat without them. It’s nice to be able to lean over the edge and not feel like you’re gonna topple out. The guy bashing your high sides must be suffering from short man syndrome. Sorry buddy! Can’t hear you from way down there!!

Well, being 6'5" myself I appreciate the tall people extras. Must admit though the retro-extension of the gunnel is less aesthetically pleasing than the rest of the boat. But it will do the job for sure. Someone else before mentioned this briefly, you won't have a second steering/control station on the deck, correct? You must not plan on trolling much?

OMG, are you cry baby teenagers who didn't get a like on their favourite tick tock post? Did you post every nut and bolt detail of your boat build here to only accept positive comments? Was your intention just to stroke your pride? Then maybe you should have added in the title: only positive feedback only!
I thought you posted your build here for some others to learn and to receive honest feedback to learn yourself too!? Because there are many here who have owned boats since childhood and since the dawn of outboard technology. Forgive me if I misread your intention. I said I very much like your boat but not every little aspect of it. If you don't want to hear that then don't make your build public.

OMG, are you cry baby teenagers who didn't get a like on their favourite tick tock post? Did you post every nut and bolt detail of your boat build here to only accept positive comments? Was your intention just to stroke your pride? Then maybe you should have added in the title: only positive feedback only!
I thought you posted your build here for some others to learn and to receive honest feedback to learn yourself too!? Because there are many here who have owned boats since childhood and since the dawn of outboard technology. Forgive me if I misread your intention. I said I very much like your boat but not every little aspect of it. If you don't want to hear that then don't make your build public.
It’s great you’re the kinda person open to negative feedback and comments. Cause it’s not what you said… but how you said it. Perception matters. You were criticizing. Not offering an opinion. Just one mans view.

Pescador pretty much nailed it so won't remove the posts that are now making a mess of the thread. Written word without context or implied intent can be perceived in many ways. The best way to avoid things being taken the wrong way is to read your post and ask yourself; if I was the person being replied to, how would I take this? If it seems like it might tick you off, don't hit send without a little editing to take the "edge" off your text.
Last thing, if things might strike a nerve, how about we don't immediately head into name calling territory as a response.

Now, back to the build!

Calm Sea, perhaps what I write below will help.

In Post #1 I thanked ReelSlim for his excellent build thread and I quoted where he wrote "I’m going to try and make this a “Happy” thread and post pictures of my new boat build". ....... As much as I am a die hard fishermen it is going to be used for family time and exploring as well till I can’t do it anymore...etc.

It was an inspirational thread

I went on to write that, "My decision to do the thread was more about helping the builder than anything else. I had never heard of Jaxon Craft before ReelSlim's build".

I also wanted to thank ReelSlim for all his help during the last few months. To answer your questions we are building the same size/model boat but ours will be less hard core fishing.

So now you have the history and reason why I am doing this thread. So let me try answer the points you raised in your post, To restore civility to this thread I won't spend any time on some statements but rather simply say no comment.

OMG, are you cry baby teenagers who didn't get a like on their favourite tick tock post?

No Comment

Did you post every nut and bolt detail of your boat build here to only accept positive comments?

No, I posted general photos and a build progress report because I thought based on how much people seemed to enjoy ReelSlims' build , that Forum Members might like to watch another build that was the same but different and it was good advertising for JaxonCraft

Was your intention just to stroke your pride?

No Comment

Then maybe you should have added in the title: only positive feedback only!

I don't see anywhere in the build thread that I didn't listen to good ideas and positive suggestions. A bunch of people on here were very helpful when I was ordering the boat's electronics. (Separate Thread)

I thought you posted your build here for some others to learn and to receive honest feedback to learn yourself too!?

As I mentioned above, " My decision to do the thread was more about helping the builder than anything else" There have been some excellent suggestions made by some people in this thread as well as things I have learned in other thread on here. Hopefully, some folks following this thread will pick up an idea or two, or decide nope that idea is not for me.

Because there are many here who have owned boats since childhood and since the dawn of outboard technology.

I recognize that and appreciate the vast level of knowledge on this board, and if you feel I have not been respectful enough to some people please let me know and I will make amends to them. That doesn't mean that I am going to do any, some, or all of the things anonymous individuals tell me to do.

Forgive me if I misread your intention.

Oh course I forgive you, why wouldn't I ?

This is an internet forum about fishing and boats , if we can't get along in places like this there is really not much hope for the world in general

I said I very much like your boat but not every little aspect of it.

It is nice that you like our boat Thank You. I wouldn't expect anyone to like every aspect on our boat. I know won't. There will be things I wished I did differently, some will really bug me , and others will become humorous annoyances

If you don't want to hear that then don't make your build public.

There is always a risk one takes when people start threads like this. What makes or breaks the thread is how the Original Poster tries to keep things civil and moving forward. I am trying to do that .

Back