Search results

1. jcon12

New wind and wave app

Hi all, I just put together a website ( straitweather.com ) which displays the current weather conditions at some government buoys and wind stations. I plan to add several additional features such as: - tides - self reporting for current conditions - weather and wave forecast tool - maybe even...
  2. jcon12

Hit a log - prop/motor damage?

Hi all, Just after exiting the north arm we hit a log and took a nice slice out of it with the prop (Yamaha F300) on a Grady Gulf Stream. About 5 years ago something similar happened (larger log) and it ended up bending the prop shaft which caused our seals to leak all of the lower gear oil...
  3. jcon12

Landing craft cost?

Hi all, I have the chance to purchase a kimple flat bottom boat I was considering using to run materials from cedar to ruxton island while building a cabin. Another option would be moving things in bulk and just paying for a landing craft to run the goods back and forth. Anyone have...
  4. jcon12

adjusting rental trailer for 28' boat

Hi all, This year we are thinking about taking our grady white gulfstream to Nootka instead of our smaller Arima. We don't have a trailer for the boat so I am just finalizing a rental, however am looking for any feedback on the adjustment process considering this trailer will not be setup...
  5. jcon12

Help rebuilding my tackle collection

Well it may be my worst loss to date.. somehow managed to let my freshly primed tackle box slide off the back of the boat yesterday. Lost my life's collection of spoons, hootcheis, plugs etc. Looking for some advice on the best lures if you were to start over again. I primarily fish Vanouver...
  6. jcon12

Boat storage in Cedar area

Hi all, I am looking for some storage options to keep a 17' boat (on trailer) stored in the cedar/south nanaimo area. Outdoor storage is fine. We have a place on ruxton and come across from Vancouver. Looking to avoid ferrying my boat over each time we visit the property. I usually use the...
  7. jcon12

Parking and launch to access Hornby Island

Hi all, We are heading to Hornby this coming weekend for 7 days. I have a slip on the island and will be trailering my 17' boat from Vancouver. My plan is to skip the ferry from the Island to denman/hornby and just launch my boat around deep bay or French creek. Any recommendations on where...
  8. jcon12

Cedar boat launch at low tide?

Hi all, I have launched a few times at cedar but always during high tide. Can anyone confirm if a 17' boat (arima) could be retrieved during low tide? Thanks!
  9. jcon12

Thoughts on this pod?

Hi all, Looking at an older bell boy which has a custom stainless pod installed from the previous owner (about 10+ years ago). Apparently at that time the transom was reinforced etc. I have not seen the boat yet.. its a fair distance away but wondering first impressions based on the photos...
  10. jcon12

Shared beach access/dinghy storage - is this just wrong?

We were doing some work on our property in the gulf islands. We've owned the property for 40+ years but just recently started working on it, setting up mooring etc. As we were moving our dinghy to the high water mark and tying it off the neighbour came out and made it very clear i should not...
  11. jcon12

Grady White 228 moisture readings

Hi all, I am looking to purchase a 2002 Grady white seafarer 228 from the east coast (USA). It’s priced well and has a very low hour 2011 yami on it. The initial survey that the selling dealership performed noted moisture in the hull around the aft corners and going forward a few feet. The...
  12. jcon12

dropping/lowering mooring anchor??

Hi guys, I plan on dropping a 250lb (pyramid style) mooring anchor this offseason at our place on ruxton island. The depth will be approx 15-20ft at low tide. Any advice on a way I can transport and lower the anchor myself? I am almost considering building a small raft with a cutout in the...
  13. jcon12

Clip leader to spoon?

Anyone run multiple leaders pre tied at various lengths with a swivel on either end then just use a clip to attach the leader to spoon? I have always tied my leaders to the spoon but on my recent trip to Nootka I noticed some guys running clips for a fast swap out. I always imagined that the...
  14. jcon12

Transporting salmon you ate?

Hi all, I am getting into longer trips and finding myself wanting to eat some of the fresh fish prior to getting home. Based off of the regs would you be able to fillet your fish (tail on and assuming it meets size requirements) then cut some of the fillet out while leaving one side fully...
  15. jcon12

Strait of Georgia wave height/crossings

Hi all, I've been fishing locally and crossing the SOG for the past two decades. I spend most of my time on the Vancouver side however find myself running back and forth to the Nanaimo area more often. I try and run my 17 Arima when the weather allows otherwise go out in our Grady Gulfstream...
  16. jcon12

Trip ideas for September?

Hi all, We are looking to take 7-9 days off and do a trip up the coast in early September. There will be 3 of us travelling in a Grady White Gulfstream. We will probably try for a combination of nights at anchor and dockside hotels. Last year we attempted desolation but the smoke was so bad...
  17. jcon12

What is this yellow stuff in my Lingcod .. ?

Hey guys, I’ve seen worms.. and this one had one or two. But never seen this? Is this from a disease or are they maybe dead worms?
  18. jcon12

Mooring anchor job - any referrals?

Hi all, Looking to drop a mooring anchor on Ruxton island (a little south of nanaimo). Anybody have a referral .. or anyone on the site able to assist with a job like this? It will need to hold a 8,000lb boat. Thanks for any leads!
  19. jcon12

Jervis/Prince Louisa inlet weather/wind/waves?

Hi all, We have a cabin booked at pender harbour for June 18 (4 days) and plan on spending 1 day up jervis inlet (fish a bit) then boat to the north end of prince louisa inlet. I will potentially be taking up our smaller boat (17' arima) and wondering if there is much 'weather' to worry about...
  20. jcon12

Filleting fish while at sea??

Hi all, Considering my limited cooler space I was just curious whether you are allowed to filet a lingcod (considering they have size requirements) while on a multi day trip in order to fit the meat in the cooler. The "tail on" (head off) limit is 53cm - do you just make sure to keep the tail...
Back