Transporting salmon you ate?

jcon12

Hi all,

I am getting into longer trips and finding myself wanting to eat some of the fresh fish prior to getting home.

Based off of the regs would you be able to fillet your fish (tail on and assuming it meets size requirements) then cut some of the fillet out while leaving one side fully intact?

I can't find much regarding this on the forum or regs.. its all about transporting the fish processed but not partially consumed.

This is assuming we cannot consume the entire fish on the trip.. (and understand it would still count towards possession limit).

thanks!

1628104207484.png

Just think of it from the officers perspective, they need to 1. identify your catch and 2. be able to measure it to make sure it meets regulations

If you can satisfy those conditions and partially eat a fish then your good to go.

Label everything with a sharpie. I assume you’ll bag things up. Date caught, area caught in, species, piece number x of x pieces. Fish # off your license if applicable. Start eating from the head back (that sounds bad I know). Eat tail sections last.

We just eat our cohos and keeps the paper work on the Chinooks less confusing
I would assume that once a fish is totally consumed, it still counts toward your daily limit the day you caught it, but it doesn't count towards your possession limit [as it doesn't exist any more], and you can fish again the next day.

Mine being a family show, I rarely catch enough for this to be an issue.

Last edited:
Back