Hit a log - prop/motor damage?

jcon12

Hi all,

Just after exiting the north arm we hit a log and took a nice slice out of it with the prop (Yamaha F300) on a Grady Gulf Stream.

About 5 years ago something similar happened (larger log) and it ended up bending the prop shaft which caused our seals to leak all of the lower gear oil out and seize the leg.

Curious what your response would be to something like this. Our shop recommends bringing the boat over for an impact test and to send the prop out to confirm it’s true/balanced and straight.

It’s a 2021 outboard with a stainless prop and we were doing about 20MPH. Log was about the size of your thigh.

Attachments

• C542EEAE-008A-4913-8DEC-7B3BCB665BF5.jpeg
    C542EEAE-008A-4913-8DEC-7B3BCB665BF5.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 152
Doesn't hurt to take it in. However, it also doesn't hurt to have a look yourself 1st, neither.

You should be able to see any obvious external damage - like bent prop blades. The other thing to look for is the prop shaft being bent. That can possibly indicate internal damage - or a likelihood that the O-ring will wear out and release the leg oil later down the road. Put your drive in neutral and rotate the prop and watch to see it is rotates asymmetrically (lop-sided) or symmetrically.

A bent shaft is worse than a slightly bent blade(s) on a prop - that can be fixed - sometimes easily. Missing metal on your prop blades can mean they run and vibrate too much because (like tires) they are unbalanced now. Did you notice any vibration afterwards while running? The flip side to better performance with stainless props verses aluminum is that stainless props are tough - much tougher than aluminum ones - and unlike aluminum which often takes the damage before the bottom end gets it - is that with stainless the impacts are more easily transferred internally to the bottom end. That's why I like aluminum - easier and cheaper to change or fix than either stainless props or internal damage. The high-performance sales reps usually won't tell you that one.

Doesn't hurt to order in a matching prop and have it onboard along with tools and a cotter pin, neither. It could be a lifesaver someday - and if you severely damage a prop some day - you'll need a spare, anyways.

The last thing to check is your leg oil. If there is internal damage - it'll show up there as filings. While rotating the prop feel for a gritty feeling when turning it. It could mean chipped/broken gears. Anything internal - ya absolutely - take it in. If your lower leg fails while you are out there - it's a long kicker ride or tow home.

Last edited:
Like others have said, get it looked at, or do it yourself, bent shaft is fairly easy to detect, your prop is probably out of wack for sure, so take that in too. If the shaft is bent it will vibrate, same goes with the prop, don’t ask how I know lol. The way I do it, I’m sure marine mechanics are going to chip in if I do wrong lol,spin the prop and look around the gap where the prop is in the gear case, if it’s uneven when you turn it it’s bent, bit of a dinosaur way of doing it lol, I just don’t like paying or wait for a shop to tell me,, imo it takes a lot to bent, the prop usually get the worst of it, lower gear case on that bad boy is expensive

And I forgot to mention - in areas with lots of logs - here's a strategy I learned (and prob others reading this post, as well) that's reasonably effective in avoiding log damage to props/lower end:

Some areas seem to collect logs - a combination of current and past logging operations & leakages from log booms. High (spring) building tides refloat previously stranded logs from on the beach, as well. But logs aren't evenly distributed in the water. Often, they pile up where the tide makes fronts in the water where all debris collects. Obviously, avoid these areas if possible - and cut through them at the narrowest areas that appear to have no large debris. Sometimes the area between water attached to the shore and where it meets water driven by tidal currents is free of logs.

But here's the trick - BEFORE cutting thru theses spots with debris - raise the leg a little to lift the bow. That lowers the back of the boat with the props/bottom ends deeper in the water and makes it less likely that unseen logs will travel under the boat, but instead are pushed to the sides away from the props. In addition to doing this - if you hear or feel clunking from logs or debris on or under the hull - come out of plane immediately. The sinking of the hull also drives logs out the sides and away from your props - if you are fast enuff in responding.

The deadheads are the worst of the worst and really hard to see if the winds create waves. I carry reflective tape and nails and a hammer. If I see a deadhead close to a harbour entrance or docks with boats - I tag it for the benefit of the other boaters.

Last edited:
I've done the same tooo many times. The motor should tell you by carefully listening/feeling for vibration. If there is the slightest change you have
a bent blade or two. Lots of times a guy can get lucky and zero damage.

go to the shop. i lost one prop last week because of that. i use only aluminum props for that reason and burn $40 to pop a new one on.
stainless will damage your lower unit. use alu...its cheap to throw away and get another prop.

When u get your hull out check for damage on your transom... the 232 are thin skined and may need to do glass work as I have in the pass.. I have put one of those Rubber hull protectors on and has paid for its self twice now .. Alberni canel is full of those land mines...Just got one yesaterday chasing socks ... As my Suzuki dealer says.. Put her in netraul and hit her straight on.... It works

Check the prop shaft for a wobble by spinning the prop as fast as you can by hand.

Back