Landing craft cost?

jcon12

Hi all,

I have the chance to purchase a kimple flat bottom boat I was considering using to run materials from cedar to ruxton island while building a cabin.

Another option would be moving things in bulk and just paying for a landing craft to run the goods back and forth.

Anyone have experience and pricing for a job like this?

Trying to sort out the most economical approach… and a friend happens to be selling there 20’ flat bottom boat at the same time.

Hi all,

I have the chance to purchase a kimple flat bottom boat I was considering using to run materials from cedar to ruxton island while building a cabin.

Another option would be moving things in bulk and just paying for a landing craft to run the goods back and forth.

Trying to sort out the most economical approach… and a friend happens to be selling there 20’ flat bottom boat at the same time.
I would give Island Supply in Nanaimo a shout, they run to Protection mostly but ive seen them going to other gulf islands from time to time. Might be more cost effective than buying something.

There are many vessels that could do this for you.
Buying a vessel for this specific purpose makes no sense.
I don't know this kimple brand, so resell is what?

If it floats, f@cks, or flies it's cheaper to rent.

Is your cabin site really close to a suitable landing spot? Like "put some lumber on your shoulder and walk 20 metres" close? And what options are there for getting from landing craft to the site? Getting materials ashore is one thing, getting it to your building site is another.

Our family cabin on Thormanby has had several sleeping shack and deck builds over the years. The sequence of moves for material goes like this:
- lumber pile to pickup truck
- pickup to dock (mainland side)
- dock to boat
- boat to dock (island side)
- dock to top of ramp
- top of ramp to pickup
- pickup to building site

That's seven times that each and every piece of lumber, bundle of shingles and box of nails needs to be handled, and we have a decent gravel road to our site that avoids a 200 m walk across sand flats between beach and cabin.

For the larger builds, we do a very carefully detailed order at the building supply and have it delivered via barge during an appropriate tide window. To us, it's worth the cost of a largish barge that the Hiab truck can just drive onto the island, deliver right on site and drive away. Yes, family labour is cheap, but not unlimited, we would rather keep worker energy for actual on site work rather than burning them out just getting the materials package to site.

Obviously this door to door system might not work at your location, and in fact it barely works at ours either, we need >13 ft tide for 3 hours. Not many of those windows in daytime during the 6 warm months of the year.

If you buy a landing craft, you’re going to become a popular guy on the island and will be moving stuff for your neighbours all year long.

Hi all,

My Bro in-law lives on Ruxton 1/2 of the year. He used to have a landing craft and now has a different craft that he uses to run supplies and building materials to the Island. He also runs from Cedar I believe. He has done a lot of work and runs for people on the island. If you want his number send me a PM and I'll connect you. He's a great guy.

Spoke to my brother in law. He's up for it if you need help. He is on Ruxton right now building his place.

Is your cabin site really close to a suitable landing spot? Like "put some lumber on your shoulder and walk 20 metres" close? And what options are there for getting from landing craft to the site? Getting materials ashore is one thing, getting it to your building site is another.

Our family cabin on Thormanby has had several sleeping shack and deck builds over the years. The sequence of moves for material goes like this:
- lumber pile to pickup truck
- pickup to dock (mainland side)
- dock to boat
- boat to dock (island side)
- dock to top of ramp
- top of ramp to pickup
- pickup to building site

That's seven times that each and every piece of lumber, bundle of shingles and box of nails needs to be handled, and we have a decent gravel road to our site that avoids a 200 m walk across sand flats between beach and cabin.

For the larger builds, we do a very carefully detailed order at the building supply and have it delivered via barge during an appropriate tide window. To us, it's worth the cost of a largish barge that the Hiab truck can just drive onto the island, deliver right on site and drive away. Yes, family labour is cheap, but not unlimited, we would rather keep worker energy for actual on site work rather than burning them out just getting the materials package to site.

Obviously this door to door system might not work at your location, and in fact it barely works at ours either, we need >13 ft tide for 3 hours. Not many of those windows in daytime during the 6 warm months of the year.
North or South?

Back