Tales From The Tyee Pool......2012...

P8243996.jpg

Thanks LP1. All the pictures of the tyee boats were throwing me off. Where do you put in? Sorry. but I have only driven through Campbell River so I don't really know the area.

Your best bet to put in is right at the south end of the Tyee Pool just past the fence around the big buildings.
You can park there and it's the shortest distance between the pool and dry land parking. Paddle north of the big red bouy and you're in the pool.
The season ends at midnite September 15th. so best try before then.
You must register at the Clubhouse first or sign the sheet outside indicating your intent to angle for Tyee plus your tackle line and gear must comply. Check www.tyeeclub.org for rules and stuff.
Otherwise there is no reason why a kayaker cannot angle in the pool for Tyee.

If you're unsure where the Tyee Pool is simply locate Canadian Tire and turn down Spit Rd. which is right behind it.
The Tyee Clubhouse is down around the corner, past the RV Park and Jiggers Grill, has a reddish roof and is on your right side. Walk on in and either Bing or Francis will help you out.

Good luck and have fun.

Take care.

Thanks very much for posting those pics Rob.
Appreciate it.

Are you two up for another go either Sunday or Monday nite coming??

PM me.

Take care.

Great pictures!

Expect Pm for next year Dave H... I'll even row you. :cool:

Gorgeous evening in the pool but a scarcity of hook-ups as we saw but two.
No ringing of the bell either unless it was late and snuck by me at home.

Tomorrow.

Take care.

Appreciate the pics, info, and stories that Dave H and Lazoman have shared. Great way to spend some time on the water!!

I certainly wish I was bumping this thread because of some awesome news, like I caught my Tyee finally, but alas, nothing like that has happened and it appears the pool is currently harboring none at all.
Last night a small pod of Orcas passed by just outside the pool and that's never a good thing when one is fishing there so, as has been the case the past week, nothing to report.
Three nights left for something to happen though, and anglers are always optomistic. LOL

Take care.

thats 3 nights for fish to move in!!

hopefully those orcas chased in a bunch of tyee to the pool! they just need to calm down before they start biting :) probably by tomorrow night :)

thanks for the thread Dave I know alot of people have had fun following it!

Here are a few pics for your perusal and enjoyment.

I liked this one with a rowboat, a sailboat and a tugboat all aligned heading the same way.

Sept13001.jpg

Here's a couple of the double rainbow we enjoyed a few days back.

Sept13004.jpg

Sept13003.jpg

And here's Buddy sitting in the rower's seat of my boat. I used every training tip and technique I know trying to teach him to row but sadly, all he could ever do was dog-paddle.

Sept13007.jpg

Take care.

is there a specific season for the Tyee Pool Dave? "Three Nights left" leads me to believed there is some sort of official schedule...just curious..

Nothing new and exciting to report from last nite or this morning.
I'm told a couple of very small ones were taken but no Tyee.
Virtually nothing showing in the pool either and with Hydro starting to increase water flow in the Campbell starting tomorrow that will pretty well put paid to this season as any salmon that do arrive late will move upstream quickly.

Perhaps a day early but I'd like to offer my personal thanks to Bing and Francis Cowen for their diligence to keeping the Tyee Clubhouse and grounds looking so good and for serving as such wonderful hosts to everyone who visits.
Everyone is welcomed, shown about, has their questions answered and sometimes even get to try Tyee fishing themselves all due to their efforts.
Here they are for those of you who haven't met them.

BingFran009.jpg

Every nite Bing has a fire going in the front yard and every nite sees a different crowd hanging about.
Old pals meet up again, stories are exchanged, the group gathers around the scale when a fish is brought in, sunsets create tapestries no mere man could match, cruise ships pass by as do Orcas and Humpback whales and an ever changing variety of boats and ships, some heading north, some heading south.
Yesterday there were four tugs and four barges all lined up fighting the flood to get up close to the narrows so they could run through when the ebb started.
Some nights things need livening up though so that's when Francis usually instigates the famous Tyee Clubhouse Pants On Fire ritual where she throws a cup of gasoline into the fire and everyone dances around trying to avoid the sparks.
This ritual has never been captured on film before, but as I have a digital camera I was able to come back with the hard evidence, and I'm here to share it with you all.

Here she is, sizing up the situation and all prepared to spark some action. You can see the evil intent in her face if you look closely.

BingFran008.jpg

Naturally I had to dive to the ground to save myself when she ignited her gas bomb but as I rolled under a chair to safety I was able to snap off this shot showing the massive display of sparks just as they were nearly all gone.
You should have seen it a split second earlier.

BingFran007.jpg

As one would expect I was somewhat shaken by my near death experience and had some difficulties holding the camera steady while endeavoring to capture other activities last nite but one of my attempts produced this neat effect.

BingFran004.jpg

See ya later.

Take care.

Back