Imagine 100 years of rowboat TYEE fishing...

PEETZcanada

Hey y'all, have I got a something intriguing for you! So, picture this: the early days of angling for Tyee salmon in the beautiful coastal waters of Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada. The First Nations people had been fishing for these incredible fish for ages, using their skill and conservation practices to catch them in various ways. Their prowess left even the first white men in awe.

The first written account of this legendary fishing appeared in The Field, a publication in London, in October 1896. Sir Richard Musgrave described his unforgettable experience fishing off the mouth of Campbell River in September that year. He and his partner took a whopping nineteen Tyee salmon in just one week, alongside Coho and trout. But get this, his largest catch weighed a jaw-dropping 70 pounds! Can you imagine the thrill of that fight? The fish was later displayed in Piccadilly as the largest salmon ever caught on rod and line. Insane, right?

The buzz around Tyee fishing continued the following year when Musgrave returned with a party of six. In less than two weeks, they managed to reel in a massive 67.5-pound fish. Talk about a competition of giants!

Reports in The Field in January 1901 showcased the incredible fishing and gave major props to the Native guides who provided hospitality and showcased their extraordinary skill. One angler hauled in 24 salmon in just eight days, with an average weight of 37 pounds! The smallest fish weighed in at 25 pounds, while the largest tipped the scales at a hefty 50 pounds. These guys knew exactly when to strike, as the fishing season kicked off in September.

Fast forward to October 1901, when one angler proudly shared his epic fishing tale titled "Two Tons of Salmon with the Rod." He fished for an impressive nineteen days, reeling in salmon after salmon. His smallest catch weighed a respectable 22 1/2 pounds, while his heaviest tipped the scale at a whopping 58 pounds. Talk about a true angler's paradise. He even declared August 17th as his best day ever.

By 1903, reports in The Field indicated that Tyee fishing had become well-established in Campbell River. The first Willows Hotel opened its doors, providing boats and guides to eager anglers. No more camping on the riverbank, my friend!

Sir John Rogers, in his book Sport in Vancouver and Newfoundland, delivered a detailed report on the 1908 Tyee fishing season. He managed to capture a mind-blowing 41 Tyee, weighing a total of 1738 pounds! Can you imagine the fight he had on his hands? On top of that, he reeled in 15 Spring salmon, 126 Coho, and 37 trout. The guy was a fishing legend.

In 1912, Mr. Eric D. Sismey of Naramata, B.C., shared his experience of seeing boats filled with eager fishermen and Natives expertly hand-lining from dugouts. The dedicated angling community was growing, my friend.

But here's where it gets really exciting. In the summer of 1924, a group of passionate fishermen gathered at the Willows Hotel. Inspired by the famous Tuna Club of Catalina Island, they decided to form their own club – The Tyee Club of British Columbia. Their mission? To standardize the sport of salmon fishing in B.C. Can you imagine being part of such an exclusive and historic club?

The founding members, including Colonel Henry Humphrey of Hong Kong and Charles M. Wood of Philadelphia, wanted to honor the angler who caught the largest salmon each year. They would be awarded the prestigious title of "Tyee Man" and receive an annual Championship Button. The club's President, Dr. J.A. Wiborn, and Vice President, A.N. Wolverton, were elected to lead this epic endeavor. They even drafted a set of by-laws, inspired by the celebrated Tuna Club.

August 1926 saw another notable meeting at Campbell River. The Governor General of Bermuda, General Sir John Asser, Lord Astor, and even Jesse Lasky of Hollywood all gathered to celebrate this incredible club. Dr. Wiborn and A.N. Wolverton were re-elected as President and Vice President, respectively. The club decided to publish an annual booklet documenting the year's fishing and awards. They were serious about upholding their standards.

In 1927, the Tyee Club was officially granted a charter under the British Columbia Societies Act. The club's regulations became more rigid, ensuring that only the best of the best could join their ranks. This dedication to excellence has maintained the club's high standard to this day.

My friends, do you feel that energy? The thrill, the tradition, the history of the Tyee Club of Campbell River calls to us. Can you imagine being part of a community that has been angling for Tyee salmon for over a century? Let's grab our gear and make our own mark in this legendary angler's paradise. The Tyee Club awaits us!

Get ready, my angling buddies! The excitement is building as the TYEE Club of Campbell River gears up to celebrate its upcoming 100-year anniversary. This legendary fishing club has been incredibly successful since its founding in the summer of 1924.

With a rich history of angling for Tyee salmon and a dedication to upholding the highest standards of the sport, the TYEE Club has carved out a special place in the hearts of anglers worldwide. As many anglers prepare to join in the festivities, I am sure that they can't help but feel the thrill of being part of a club that has consistently delivered amazing fishing experiences for a century. The upcoming celebration promises to be a grand tribute to the club's accomplishments, camaraderie, and the enduring passion for landing those giant Tyee salmon. It's time to mark our calendars, my friends, and get ready to celebrate this extraordinary fishing club and its many accomplishments over the past 100 years. Let's help make a mark in the club's storied history and create unforgettable memories. This summer should be epic. The TYEE Club's success is waiting for us all to be a part of it.

You've got to try it at least once in your lifetime.
RVP.

Hey y'all, have I got a something intriguing for you! So, picture this: the early days of angling for Tyee salmon in the beautiful coastal waters of Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada. The First Nations people had been fishing for these incredible fish for ages, using their skill and conservation practices to catch them in various ways. Their prowess left even the first white men in awe.

The first written account of this legendary fishing appeared in The Field, a publication in London, in October 1896. Sir Richard Musgrave described his unforgettable experience fishing off the mouth of Campbell River in September that year. He and his partner took a whopping nineteen Tyee salmon in just one week, alongside Coho and trout. But get this, his largest catch weighed a jaw-dropping 70 pounds! Can you imagine the thrill of that fight? The fish was later displayed in Piccadilly as the largest salmon ever caught on rod and line. Insane, right?

The buzz around Tyee fishing continued the following year when Musgrave returned with a party of six. In less than two weeks, they managed to reel in a massive 67.5-pound fish. Talk about a competition of giants!

Reports in The Field in January 1901 showcased the incredible fishing and gave major props to the Native guides who provided hospitality and showcased their extraordinary skill. One angler hauled in 24 salmon in just eight days, with an average weight of 37 pounds! The smallest fish weighed in at 25 pounds, while the largest tipped the scales at a hefty 50 pounds. These guys knew exactly when to strike, as the fishing season kicked off in September.

Fast forward to October 1901, when one angler proudly shared his epic fishing tale titled "Two Tons of Salmon with the Rod." He fished for an impressive nineteen days, reeling in salmon after salmon. His smallest catch weighed a respectable 22 1/2 pounds, while his heaviest tipped the scale at a whopping 58 pounds. Talk about a true angler's paradise. He even declared August 17th as his best day ever.

By 1903, reports in The Field indicated that Tyee fishing had become well-established in Campbell River. The first Willows Hotel opened its doors, providing boats and guides to eager anglers. No more camping on the riverbank, my friend!

Sir John Rogers, in his book Sport in Vancouver and Newfoundland, delivered a detailed report on the 1908 Tyee fishing season. He managed to capture a mind-blowing 41 Tyee, weighing a total of 1738 pounds! Can you imagine the fight he had on his hands? On top of that, he reeled in 15 Spring salmon, 126 Coho, and 37 trout. The guy was a fishing legend.

In 1912, Mr. Eric D. Sismey of Naramata, B.C., shared his experience of seeing boats filled with eager fishermen and Natives expertly hand-lining from dugouts. The dedicated angling community was growing, my friend.

But here's where it gets really exciting. In the summer of 1924, a group of passionate fishermen gathered at the Willows Hotel. Inspired by the famous Tuna Club of Catalina Island, they decided to form their own club – The Tyee Club of British Columbia. Their mission? To standardize the sport of salmon fishing in B.C. Can you imagine being part of such an exclusive and historic club?

The founding members, including Colonel Henry Humphrey of Hong Kong and Charles M. Wood of Philadelphia, wanted to honor the angler who caught the largest salmon each year. They would be awarded the prestigious title of "Tyee Man" and receive an annual Championship Button. The club's President, Dr. J.A. Wiborn, and Vice President, A.N. Wolverton, were elected to lead this epic endeavor. They even drafted a set of by-laws, inspired by the celebrated Tuna Club.

August 1926 saw another notable meeting at Campbell River. The Governor General of Bermuda, General Sir John Asser, Lord Astor, and even Jesse Lasky of Hollywood all gathered to celebrate this incredible club. Dr. Wiborn and A.N. Wolverton were re-elected as President and Vice President, respectively. The club decided to publish an annual booklet documenting the year's fishing and awards. They were serious about upholding their standards.

In 1927, the Tyee Club was officially granted a charter under the British Columbia Societies Act. The club's regulations became more rigid, ensuring that only the best of the best could join their ranks. This dedication to excellence has maintained the club's high standard to this day.

My friends, do you feel that energy? The thrill, the tradition, the history of the Tyee Club of Campbell River calls to us. Can you imagine being part of a community that has been angling for Tyee salmon for over a century? Let's grab our gear and make our own mark in this legendary angler's paradise. The Tyee Club awaits us!

Get ready, my angling buddies! The excitement is building as the TYEE Club of Campbell River gears up to celebrate its upcoming 100-year anniversary. This legendary fishing club has been incredibly successful since its founding in the summer of 1924.

With a rich history of angling for Tyee salmon and a dedication to upholding the highest standards of the sport, the TYEE Club has carved out a special place in the hearts of anglers worldwide. As many anglers prepare to join in the festivities, I am sure that they can't help but feel the thrill of being part of a club that has consistently delivered amazing fishing experiences for a century. The upcoming celebration promises to be a grand tribute to the club's accomplishments, camaraderie, and the enduring passion for landing those giant Tyee salmon. It's time to mark our calendars, my friends, and get ready to celebrate this extraordinary fishing club and its many accomplishments over the past 100 years. Let's help make a mark in the club's storied history and create unforgettable memories. This summer should be epic. The TYEE Club's success is waiting for us all to be a part of it.

RVP.
Thanks Rob !!! It was great to get you out for your first time last year. It wont be your last trip in my boat I am sure !

CR Greg

Thanks Rob !!! It was great to get you out for your first time last year. It wont be your last trip in my boat I am sure !

CR Greg
Can't wait to get at it again. Thanks for being a friend. :)

RVP.
That’s an amazing post!

Back