Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Dave H

I'm baaaack!!

Hello everyone and greetings from Control Central and your humble host, soon to be a major movie star.

But I digress.

NOTE: I mistakenly believed we wouldn't be able to keep a Chinook large enough to be a Tyee until August 1st. and said so in my original post.
I was wrong and have corrected myself elsewhere and now here. Sorry about the confusion and the Tyee Pool is now open for business.

Ah well, it's been some years since a Tyee was registered in July, so we're not missing much, most likely.
Optimism once again is strong as we've had another year of good pasture in the North Pacific so hopefully will have well fed and fat fish when they come home.
Recent reports of the huge Sockeye returns to Alaska indicate good feeding conditions offshore so if our salmon can avoid the Alaskan and northern BC troll fleets plus the much smaller catch numbers of the recreational/commercial lodges along the coast, we might have another good year.

As usual, there won't be much in the way of pool related fishing activities for the next couple of weeks, but I'll find reasons to stay involved here and keep you up-dated.

Remember that if you can come visit and go out with me to please let me know and I'll fit you in somehow, plus all my regular rod-holders can expect to hear from me the moment some fish show up.

Great to be back.

Take care.

Last edited:
I'm baaaack!!

Hello everyone and greetings from Control Central and your humble host, soon to be a major movie star.

But I digress.

With no changes in the rules that I'm aware of we are in the same situation as last year, insofar as the Tyee season has begun, but we are not allowed to keep any Chinook caught before August 1st. that would be of Tyee size, as they would exceed the maximum length rule, 80 CM.

Ah well, it's been some years since a Tyee was registered in July, so we're not missing much, most likely.
Optimism once again is strong as we've had another year of good pasture in the North Pacific so hopefully will have well fed and fat fish when they come home.
Recent reports of the huge Sockeye returns to Alaska indicate good feeding conditions offshore so if our salmon can avoid the Alaskan and northern BC troll fleets plus the much smaller catch numbers of the recreational/commercial lodges along the coast, we might have another good year.

As usual, there won't be much in the way of pool related fishing activities for the next couple of weeks, but I'll find reasons to stay involved here and keep you up-dated.

Remember that if you can come visit and go out with me to please let me know and I'll fit you in somehow, plus all my regular rod-holders can expect to hear from me the moment some fish show up.

Great to be back.

Take care.
Afternoon Dave,
and welcome back to another year of CR reports.. we all look forward to. I wanted to make it up there last year but health issues
pushed that to the side. I will be up there this year(Aug 14-21) and will be trying the spincasting from the shores of the tyee spit and also from
Discovery pier.. I do have all the gear to get out and do a bit of trolling also.
So if you see an ole' coot in a green Tilly hat and a white fishing vest casting off the beach or pier that will be me... stop by and say hello

ttys

Afternoon Dave,
and welcome back to another year of CR reports.. we all look forward to. I wanted to make it up there last year but health issues
pushed that to the side. I will be up there this year(Aug 14-21) and will be trying the spincasting from the shores of the tyee spit and also from
Discovery pier.. I do have all the gear to get out and do a bit of trolling also.
So if you see an ole' coot in a green Tilly hat and a white fishing vest casting off the beach or pier that will be me... stop by and say hello

ttys

Gee, I've never started anything with a "Dear John" before, but here goes.

Dear John,

When you get here I will be looking for rod-holders, so if and when I see you I'm afraid you'll be recruited and end up in my boat.

Looking forward to it.

Take care.

Gee, I've never started anything with a "Dear John" before, but here goes.

Dear John,

When you get here I will be looking for rod-holders, so if and when I see you I'm afraid you'll be recruited and end up in my boat.

Looking forward to it.

Take care.
Yikes!! For a second there I was flashing back to my teen years.... Dear John Letters !!!

Thanks for the invite and looking forward to all of your reports.
ttys
P.S. do you know when the tyee club web cam is up and running ??

I'm baaaack!!

But I digress.

With no changes in the rules that I'm aware of we are in the same situation as last year, insofar as the Tyee season has begun, but we are not allowed to keep any Chinook caught before August 1st. that would be of Tyee size, as they would exceed the maximum length rule, 80 CM.

Great to be back.

Take care.
Tell me more about how much beer or other bribes are required for a seat in this boat, and what expectations you would have of a passenger being a help or a hinderance! I'm in Nanaimo but have a buddy that just moved to CR from the Okanagan last October - I know he's itching to get out on the water.

No beer and no bribes.
Just try to give me a day or so notice and I'll fit you in.
I really enjoy taking out those who may not normally have an opportunity, plus I have all the gear you will need.

No charge, no strings attached, I like any kind of beer.

LOl... But no bribes please.

Take care.

Yikes!! For a second there I was flashing back to my teen years.... Dear John Letters !!!

Thanks for the invite and looking forward to all of your reports.
ttys
P.S. do you know when the tyee club web cam is up and running ??
Don't think the camera is up as the clubhouse has been in a construction state for some weeks now.

I'll let you know when it comes back online.

Take care.

Don't think the camera is up as the clubhouse has been in a construction state for some weeks now.

I'll let you know when it comes back online.

Take care.
Dave
Nice to see you are back on this site. Looking forward to hearing your great reports.
We tried getting out with you last year, but had to cancel.
Hopefully we can get out with you this season.
Stay well Amigo
Stosh

Greetings again and it appears I have been wrong in my belief that we couldn't keep a salmon large enough to be 30 lbs. until August 1st.

I just looked it up and starting July 15th. we can keep one chinook per day no size limit in the Campbell River Special Management area which includes the Tyee Pool.
My bad.

It's been a rare thing to actually register a Tyee in July, but it is nice to know that if anyone gets one they can keep it now.

Take care.

Ah I’ve been waiting for this thread, driving me crazy not being able to be a Rod holder with you cause I haven’t been able to get back since covid and it’s killing me! Doesn’t look like this year I will be able to either which depresses me but I will be there next year Dave and we’ll make up for the missed time! I sure look forward to living it through you posts and maybe crying a bit watching the live cam again! Can’t wait to see the action and maybe you can row a tyee or two this season! Good luck out there

Ah I’ve been waiting for this thread, driving me crazy not being able to be a Rod holder with you cause I haven’t been able to get back since covid and it’s killing me! Doesn’t look like this year I will be able to either which depresses me but I will be there next year Dave and we’ll make up for the missed time! I sure look forward to living it through you posts and maybe crying a bit watching the live cam again! Can’t wait to see the action and maybe you can row a tyee or two this season! Good luck out there

Hi amigo. Sad to know you won't be here this year but I'll definitely be happy to see you next year. Watched the first optimist of the year row about the pool earlier this evening and Norm Lee mentioned there has been only one Tyee ever registered on July 15th. opening day, so no rush as yet.
Be launching my boat in a week or so as it's all ready to rock and looking good too, as I had it sanded and re-coated this year.

Have a great summer and I'll look forward to mentioning you in my speech when I win Tyee Man of The Year later on. LOL

It could happen.

Take care.

Hi amigo. Sad to know you won't be here this year but I'll definitely be happy to see you next year. Watched the first optimist of the year row about the pool earlier this evening and Norm Lee mentioned there has been only one Tyee ever registered on July 15th. opening day, so no rush as yet.
Be launching my boat in a week or so as it's all ready to rock and looking good too, as I had it sanded and re-coated this year.

Have a great summer and I'll look forward to mentioning you in my speech when I win Tyee Man of The Year later on. LOL

It could happen.

Take care.
Just need to win that lotto max and I won’t miss another tyee day until I finally get my pin lol.. glad to hear you and the boat are ready to go. Can’t wait for that mention but it will just give me a bigger bar to strive for lol

it really could be your year( and not just for cabezon lol) take care Dave

I just moved to CR yesterday. Got our new house in March, and did our final load yesterday. I’m very interested in being a rod holder. How does a person get connected with this community? That is the boat owners. Dave, you seem very generous in offering people seats. But I know you can’t accommodate every request.
I have a large ocean boat and can trade trips?
Excited to try this experience and hopefully join The Club!!!

How’s the water level in the river this year

Good as far as I can tell.

Hydro will adjust it to the requirements for summer activities on the lakes and then allow more flow later on, trying to somewhat mimic natural conditions.
Hopefully that will keep the quarry in the pool instead of inducing them to go upstream prematurely.

Take care.

Been some renovations done on the clubhouse as well as a few changes in the yard.
The signboard that tells biggest fish and last fish has been moved from where it was to a much more open spot which will make it easier to see from out on the water.
The cleaning table is still in same spot but the line testing set-up has moved.
Note also the extra windows on front of clubhouse and there are also new entrances for the weighmaster and spouse to use.

Here's a photo taken earlier tonight that shows that which I've described.
DSCN7339.JPG

More to come.

Take care.

Back