Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Dave H

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, and the opening day of our annual pursuit of the famous Tyee.
And we're not crazy, our Moms had us tested.
Hello everyone.

I'm going to open with a couple of sad events that happened earlier this year, and by that I mean I found out that my friend since the age of five passed away before he made his 78th. Birthday, which would have been March 13th.
We started school together and were like brothers back then. Our Moms started the first Cub Pack in the District of Coquitlam, circa 1952 or so.
The past few years found Al in dementia and I wasn't able to talk to him his last three Birthdays, but I always phoned, and his wife would update me.
This year the update was the worst one.
R.I.P. Al MacTaggart.

A couple of days later I heard that Ken Fletcher, the builder of my boat as well as a half dozen others seen annually in the pool, had passed away in Ontario.
I'll miss seeing him here when he visited. Here's the boat he built for himself but sold to me when he left BC.
R.I.P. Ken Fletcher

BoatAtCorilSpot.jpg

With that done, let's start up this year with a quick look at the Tyee Clubhouse grounds, once again looking fabulous thanks to the efforts of Bob and Judy.
First thing I noticed this morning was this new picnic table, made by Bob, the Weighmaster, from the slab that used to hold the trophies in the clubhouse, but was really too small, a couple of pieces donated and some beach scavenged pieces for the legs and voila, there you are. Looks good and will weather well and add patina as time passes. Well done, Bob.
RSCN7788.JPG

Looking around at the grounds it's impossible to not enjoy them. The flowers look great and the whole scene is wonderful.

DSCN7787.JPG

Something new this year is that whoever brings a fish to be weighed must produce a valid fishing license and mark the fish caught on it.
The Weighmaster will ask to see it, so be prepared.

Lastly, we had our first Tyee Pool violator this morning and here he is. LOL
RSCN7791.JPG

Word's not out yet I guess.

Anyway, I'll be welcoming any rod-holders who wish to tour the pool with me so figure out when you can make it and let me know so I can get you marked down, date and time etc.
Looking forward to the season with the annual hope that this year will be the one where I break my drought.
Could be you helping do that.
Here's Aaron and I in 2013 with the last one I rowed, the 45, not the 61 1/2. LOL
TyeeBoles45.jpg

Take care.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, and the opening day of our annual pursuit of the famous Tyee.
And we're not crazy, our Moms had us tested.
Hello everyone.

I'm going to open with a couple of sad events that happened earlier this year, and by that I mean I found out that my friend since the age of five passed away before he made his 78th. Birthday, which would have been March 13th.
We started school together and were like brothers back then. Our Moms started the first Cub Pack in the District of Coquitlam, circa 1952 or so.
The past few years found Al in dementia and I wasn't able to talk to him his last three Birthdays, but I always phoned, and his wife would update me.
This year the update was the worst one.
R.I.P. Al MacTaggart.

A couple of days later I heard that Ken Fletcher, the builder of my boat as well as a half dozen others seen annually in the pool, had passed away in Ontario.
I'll miss seeing him here when he visited. Here's the boat he built for himself but sold to me when he left BC.
R.I.P. Ken Fletcher

View attachment 94793

With that done, let's start up this year with a quick look at the Tyee Clubhouse grounds, once again looking fabulous thanks to the efforts of Bob and Judy.
First thing I noticed this morning was this new picnic table, made by Bob, the Weighmaster, from the slab that used to hold the trophies in the clubhouse, but was really too small, a couple of pieces donated and some beach scavenged pieces for the legs and voila, there you are. Looks good and will weather well and add patina as time passes. Well done, Bob.
View attachment 94795

Looking around at the grounds it's impossible to not enjoy them. The flowers look great and the whole scene is wonderful.

View attachment 94796

Something new this year is that whoever brings a fish to be weighed must produce a valid fishing license and mark the fish caught on it.
The Weighmaster will ask to see it, so be prepared.

Lastly, we had our first Tyee Pool violator this morning and here he is. LOL
View attachment 94797

Word's not out yet I guess.

Anyway, I'll be welcoming any rod-holders who wish to tour the pool with me so figure out when you can make it and let me know so I can get you marked down, date and time etc.
Looking forward to the season with the annual hope that this year will be the one where I break my drought.
Could be you helping do that.
Here's Aaron and I in 2013 with the last one I rowed, the 45, not the 61 1/2. LOL
View attachment 94798

Take care.
Afternoon Dave,
Welcome back to the craziness. Looking forward to your stories and reports.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. What do things in the Tyee Pool look like this year ???
any early indications of what the season will be like ? Again I wish to apologize that I couldn't get out
with you last August and had to cancel, you would not have wanted me on you boat in the condition I was in.
I would love to have another crack at it this year and will be in CR between the 23rd and the 29th of July
If you have an opening for an evening tour please let me know. Thanks again
John I.

Afternoon Dave,
Welcome back to the craziness. Looking forward to your stories and reports.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. What do things in the Tyee Pool look like this year ???
any early indications of what the season will be like ? Again I wish to apologize that I couldn't get out
with you last August and had to cancel, you would not have wanted me on you boat in the condition I was in.
I would love to have another crack at it this year and will be in CR between the 23rd and the 29th of July
If you have an opening for an evening tour please let me know. Thanks again
John I.

Hey John,

How about Saturday the 29th. then?

Meet at 7:00 PM at the Tyee Clubhouse and carry on from there.

Let me know and I'll mark you down.

Take care.

Hey John,

How about Saturday the 29th. then?

Meet at 7:00 PM at the Tyee Clubhouse and carry on from there.

Let me know and I'll mark you down.

Take care.
Morning Dave,
Sorry but I can't do the 29th, I have a rental car that has to be back at Victoria airport at 11:00am the morning of the 30th. and I don't think I can push the drive that hard. If this trip is not meant to be that is ok. It will happen somewhere down the road.
Thanks again John I.

Morning Dave,
Sorry but I can't do the 29th, I have a rental car that has to be back at Victoria airport at 11:00am the morning of the 30th. and I don't think I can push the drive that hard. If this trip is not meant to be that is ok. It will happen somewhere down the road.
Thanks again John I.

How about the 28th. then?

Bit early but at least you'll have the experience.

Let me know.

Take care.

How about the 28th. then?

Bit early but at least you'll have the experience.

Let me know.

Take care.
Evening Dave,
Thanks again, Yes I can do the 28th. Same time ?? Could you please PM me and let me know what
information and gear I will need for the evening row. I believe that I have everything that will be needed.
Not to sure what you prefer for gear? Yours/mine or a combination of both. Also any other thing I should
do at the Tyee Club office before we go out that evening.... Membership,payments etc?

Rowboat is in the water ! Let the games begin !

CR Greg

Your rowboat is in the water whereas I only have water in my rowboat.

What am I doing wrong?

Was going to launch today but nope, didn't happen.

Went to lunch instead.

Take care.

Finally got everything in place and ready to go with launch time set for tomorrow afternoon.
Had to bail out much water this morning, then set-up the barrel borrowed from my neighbor so we could test run the outboard and tune it a smidge.
Checked out my lights and found that the bow set-up had finally expired so off to OP and 60 bucks later a nice new one sits in place.

Looking forward to my first row this Friday with John. It's a bit early for sure but at least we can enjoy the fishing experience but most likely won't have any catching experience.
But ya never know for sure.

Take care.

Finally got everything in place and ready to go with launch time set for tomorrow afternoon.
Had to bail out much water this morning, then set-up the barrel borrowed from my neighbor so we could test run the outboard and tune it a smidge.
Checked out my lights and found that the bow set-up had finally expired so off to OP and 60 bucks later a nice new one sits in place.

Looking forward to my first row this Friday with John. It's a bit early for sure but at least we can enjoy the fishing experience but most likely won't have any catching experience.
But ya never know for sure.

Take care.
Don't forget putting the plug in.....
WhenI was a kid,late July offered up some beauties off the arganaut warf,so like you said "you never know"......best of luck!!

Greetings all.

Just in from a catch-up chat with Bob at the Clubhouse and what I heard was encouraging.
There have been a few boats out the past evenings, four last night and tonight, and there was a fish of 25 lbs. or so taken plus a couple more small ones brought boatside and released.
Bob said RD and spouse had been out on the corner during the day flood but didn't stay long.
Must have been hotter than heck sitting there in the Sun today one would think, but RD knows when to be there.

Pal Peter and I managed to launch my boat earlier today with no major mishaps, neither of us actually fell in this time, and the only actual damage was when I squeezed one of my testicles against the gunwale whilst trying to board the boat while it was still on the trailer.
Apparently, I'm not as nimble as I used to be.

Looks like there will be a small flood tomorrow right into dark, so we shall plot our course accordingly.
Wish us luck.

Take care.

Greetings all.

Just in from a catch-up chat with Bob at the Clubhouse and what I heard was encouraging.
There have been a few boats out the past evenings, four last night and tonight, and there was a fish of 25 lbs. or so taken plus a couple more small ones brought boatside and released.
Bob said RD and spouse had been out on the corner during the day flood but didn't stay long.
Must have been hotter than heck sitting there in the Sun today one would think, but RD knows when to be there.

Pal Peter and I managed to launch my boat earlier today with no major mishaps, neither of us actually fell in this time, and the only actual damage was when I squeezed one of my testicles against the gunwale whilst trying to board the boat while it was still on the trailer.
Apparently, I'm not as nimble as I used to be.

Looks like there will be a small flood tomorrow right into dark, so we shall plot our course accordingly.
Wish us luck.

Take care.
Good luck Amigo
Can’t wait to read your next post.
Stosh

Back