Tales From The Tyee Pool......2012...

Hi Andrew,

Couple of years ago there was a guy out on a sailboard sitting on a plastic milk crate, paddling with a kayak paddle with a gaff affixed to the board and a rod resting between two toes on his bare feet. Totally legal if rod, reel and line all legal too of course. There is a guy out daily in small plastic Walker Cay dinghy rowing himself too.
I remember everyone in the pool was hoping he'd get a strike just to see what would happen to his toes.
We're a bloodthirsty bunch.

I can leave my 10' Davidson rowboat on the beach at the Tyee Clubhouse for you should you want to try it.
No engine so if you hook a big one at dark on an ebb tide best have someone follow you. LOL

I'll be out this weekend with pals from Victoria so will keep an eye out for you.

Take care.

HI Dave H,

Thanks for the reply! We may just have to take you up on your offer of the row boat. I assume that this is a good way to reach you? We would only really be able to give the morning a try as I am not keen to boat back to Quadra in the dark....leaving in the dark in the morning is a different matter.

Also, I don't see any mention of use of weights at all in the rules. Are slip weights allowed and also, are you allowed to use any flasher or mini-flasher of any sort. Getting very excited, hard to work!

I really look forward to checking out the whole action whether we have luck on our side or not; seems like a heap of fun and good community around it.

1. The word tackle shall be defined as consisting of rod, reel, line, leader, and lure.

2. The rod shall have a minimum length of six feet and a maximum of nine feet. It may be made of wood, cane, glass, synthetic material, or tubular metal.

3. The reel may be any hand-operated type. Electric or spring wound automatic reels are excluded. No slipping or clutch mechanisms are allowed in single action reels. It is suggested that the reel has a minimum capacity of 250 yards of line.

4. The line shall be of linen or synthetic material. The Tyee Club line test requires that the line breaks before lifting the "Official Testing Device". The Official Testing Device weighs 26.25 pounds. It should be remembered that most synthetic lines are much stronger than advertised and that they may be tested following immersion in water for two hours at room temperature. Line labeled 20 pounds will normally pass the line test.

5. The use of a leader is optional. When used, it shall be 6 feet or less in length. The line may be doubled for a length of three feet or less at its attachment to the leader.

6. The lure may be any type of artificial lure that has one single barb-less hook only, and its basic use is for trolling. Lures designed for jigging, spinning, still fishing, or attraction by electronic or sonic means shall be excluded. Any lure about which there is doubt as to the acceptability should be referred to the Tackle Committee for a ruling prior to fishing.

7. Use of depth sounders or any electronic devices for fish detection are not allowed.

Note: Although not mentioned weights are needed to fish and any style can be used but 6 oz. is max size.
Most use slip weights while others use the pegged weight system.

I'll leave the boat on the beach at the Tyee Clubhouse and word with the Weighmaster that someone may be using it in the next couple of days. Oars are inside it as is a clamp you can use to brace your rod against if you want.
And no flashers or any other attractants. Spoons or plugs are the accepted lures of choice.
Otherwise you're on your own.
Good luck.

Take care.

Gee Dave - I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've never been to the Tyee Pool and not caught one - even if it was only a squeaker - ;-)

Thank you, BTW.

Janice

Gee Dave - I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've never been to the Tyee Pool and not caught one - even if it was only a squeaker - ;-)

Thank you, BTW.

Janice
I fished with Mike Rippengale out of a row boat in Tyee Pool many, many years ago
Spoons or plugs...no bait and no power boats!!
Tyee Pool has a history like no area in the world.
GREAT to see it's still alive and well!!
If you want to try for a Campbell River Tyee out of a motor boat with bait, go try Frenchmens, Copper Bluffs, or anywhere you like, but not Tyee Pool
You should be so lucky to get a chance to catch a Tyee out of a row boat in Tyee Pool.
Good on the guys who keep the tradition alive!!!

In what can only be described as some kind of weird ju ju or at least a "once in a blue moon" event I somehow fumbled my psuedo-son Karl into not one but two salmon tonite, one which we boated and one that came off at the apex of a three foot leap into the air.
Both were hooked on a plug he's had for 20 years or so but never swam before. It's an ugly thing too.
I had Brian on my rod with my proven plug and I conciously "fished" his plug while Karl looked after himself (he's experienced) yet Karl had both strikes and both when we were going the wrong way.....more or less.
With a steady ebb and a steady north wind it's easy to fish heading south as one needs few strokes on the oars with the wind sailing us against the current and the plugs happily working away. Everyone was fishing that way but eventually one runs out of pool and must turn which means rowing hard against the wind and with the current in order to make the plug work.
I rowed very hard on the northward bound tack and we were on the outside of the main pack when Karl struck quickly. The first few pumps on the rod were anything but impressive and the moaned word "dogfish" issued forth from both our mouths at the same time...............until a fourth and fifth pump strongly indicated otherwise and a run began.
There was but one boat between us and the clear space outside the pool so I yelled "FISH ON!!" to the guy who seemed rather puzzled at first and then asked, "Do you have a fish on?"
I nodded and he graciously gave some space and away we went out and into the much stronger ebb current as it turned out.
Several minutes later Karl had the fish pretty close but on the downwind side which meant we were being blown over the fish whenever it got close to us.
With the net in hand I couldn't row to spin us around so we dealt with what we had and managed to net it first try.
I knew it was an under just by looking at it so we decided to go back fishing, except now we were north of the Spit and out of the pool.
"Flash up the engine and motor us back into the travel zone close to the beach and we'll motor back to get set up," I suggested. "No sense wasting fishing time with me trying to row us back against the current from out here."

So we motored into the inside zone and arrived there just as another boat was coming out and motoring along close to the beach when some guy on the beach threw a dummy out in front of him and a Labrador went swimming out to fetch it. The boat in front of us actually slowed and then passed inside the dog while we turned out and around the dog which was now swimming back with its prize.
The guy started yelling at us that there was no motoring allowed in the Tyee Pool and we shouldn't be motoring and on and on. WE couldn't believe this guy but he must have read the recent articles in the local paper about motorboats violating the No Motoring zone and was unaware that all 50 boats that were out tonite had motored through where we were. It was strange for sure but we ignored him and carried on southward.
We set up and did the south tack then I made an inturn and rowed my butt off again against the wind and with the current and as we arrived just off the Clubhouse Karl struck again and we were off to the races once more.
As there were no boats immediately to the north of us and the current was taking us that way we stayed put while Karl played tug-o-war with what might have been a Tyee, although we'll never know as the plug sprang away from it when it leapt.

So two fish hit on an ugly old untried plug and both fishing the "wrong" direction but compensating for that by rowing hard as I could paid off tonite.

Now I'm sore as can be but stoked nonetheless.

Oh, the fish went 24 lbs but will smoke up nice regardless.

Take care.

Thank you, BTW.

Janice

It was my pleasure Janice.

Next time we'll get a bigger one 'cause that one was skinny alright. LOL

Take care.

Pretty quiet since Sat. nite when Ken Mar rowed another "skinny" Tyee at 30 1/2 lbs.
Nothing rowed Sunday morning or Sunday nite, the latter being one of the calmest nites all season.
This morning saw many fish showing and four "players" hooked with a near miss 29 weighed in by Randy Killoran, his fourth near miss of the year I'm told.
The Tyee Pool can be a capricious place where sometimes effort, knowledge, experience and diligence seem to count for nothing and rank beginners register Tyee almost daily, as RK hasn't registered a Tyee yet this season yet nobody on the planet deserves one more than he does.
Strange indeed.

Later.

Take care.

4:30 AM always arrives too darn soon it seems but here it was and my trusty alarm jingled the news with some sense of glee it seemed, as I groped for it in the dark.
A half hour later neighbor Mike and I were fumbling around in the rowboat getting set to head out for the morning bite..................we hoped there would be a bite anyway.
Less than an hour later, after a couple of passes and one change of plug, I set hard on a solid strike which quickly produced a jump and then one great big long run........the longest I've ever enjoyed in the Pool I think.
The jump showed me it wasn't a Tyee but the long and powerful run gave a slight glimmer of hope that maybe my eyes were mistaken.

Alas, even with glasses I guess I see well enough as first impressions turned out accurate and it weighed but 22 pounds.
Nice silver fish fresh from the feeding grounds but not a Tyee.

Ah well, maybe tonite eh??

Take care.

Keep at it Dave, your generosity as a rower will surely pay off soon enough...fish karma is in your corner!

Bit of an update and some more pics from the Pool.

This is the bell everyone would like to ring. That's my boat out there with some while hulls, trying to earn the right.

Sept6th001.jpg

Here's a typical undersize caught last nite. 24 pounds and lots of fun but not a Tyee.

Sept6th003.jpg

Here's another from last nite. This was a 26 pounder and fought like crazy as we saw it jump several times during the battle. Fresh fish too.

Sept6th004.jpg

Just at dark last nite a 32 pounder showed up and a new member joined the Tyee Club of BC.
Well done Cathy Moulton and rower Floyd Ross.

31st-Tyee-2012-med.jpg

I've been off since day before yesterday nursing a sore shoulder/neck thingy but it's feeling much better now so I'm looking forward to getting back at it shortly.

Take care.

Here's my 1964 10' Davidson rowboat I left for Andrew P and family to use if desired.
Don't know if anyone used it or not.

Sept6th002.jpg

Always a beautiful view looking up this way in the evening.

Sept6th006.jpg

Here's part of the fleet all facing into the ebb current and fishing the same direction.
We hooked two fish last Friday going against this flow.

Sept6th005.jpg

And here's Buddy the Wonder Dog trying for a better view of Tyee Pool happenings...................or attempting to attract more attention to himself in the everpresent hope that somebody will give him a biscuit. LOL

Sept6th007.jpg

Take care.

I have read a bit about the Tyee Pool and it sounds very interesting but I have never even been there. I have done a lot of kayak fishing in still waters and some in front of Cap. I think my setup is working well so I thought I might give the Tyee Pool a go. I use my river gear which has handled a mid 20's spring in current. My big question is: can I use a kayak in the Tyee Pool? I know the rules say I can but all the pictures I have seen have only have traditional tyee boats. Is it really ok to use a kayak? If it's ok I will be there on the 15th and 16th. Is this too late in the season? Judging by the reports I think my timing is ok. Thanks in advance for any info.

I have read a bit about the Tyee Pool and it sounds very interesting but I have never even been there. I have done a lot of kayak fishing in still waters and some in front of Cap. I think my setup is working well so I thought I might give the Tyee Pool a go. I use my river gear which has handled a mid 20's spring in current. My big question is: can I use a kayak in the Tyee Pool? I know the rules say I can but all the pictures I have seen have only have traditional tyee boats. Is it really ok to use a kayak? If it's ok I will be there on the 15th and 16th. Is this too late in the season? Judging by the reports I think my timing is ok. Thanks in advance for any info.

Buddy was just out there in a paddleboard so i cant imagine why a kayak cant be used lol

Thanks LP1. All the pictures of the tyee boats were throwing me off. Where do you put in? Sorry. but I have only driven through Campbell River so I don't really know the area.

Here's a series of pics taken by a friend who was lucky enough to be included in last week's Soldier On event for some military folks hosted by Dave and the Tyee Club. Dave you can pass these around to some of the rowers you recognize !

Gotta start with this one, "The Old Man and the Sea" himself.............

P8243963.jpg

Back