2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
prawns

I am heading over to an island on the west side of Bowen for a couple days...for some large bonfires and fishing. Not expecting a whole lot out of the fishing but should be nice to get on the water.
We dont have a ton of experience with winter fishing, and I know its early but if any of you old salties want to recommend some spots and gear that would help us out greatly... Will report on what we find out there...

why not set out a prawn trap or two.... everyone would appreciate a prawn on a hotdog stick instead of a weiner.
put some weight in the trap , even if it means a couple flat rocks ...keep it on bottom and steady , if it moves they scatter.
good luck , have fun

Hey there Dorman,

Thanks a lot for all of that info it was really appreciated and helpful. We fished Saturday from about 11 to 3. most of the fishing was done around Hutt and Tunstal bay. We did mark some bait (very little) but didn't manage any fish. It was absolutely pissing out but we managed to stay dry at least. It may just be a bit early for the fish, or they were holding up in some other part of the Sound. It was a lot of fun and we had the ocean to ourselves. Thanks again for the info.

Capt Hook - We actually did drop some prawn traps and managed around 50 or so...none of which were eaten off a hotdog stick! We also managed 4 keeper crabs, so all in all not a bad day on the water..

prawns

Hey there Dorman,

Thanks a lot for all of that info it was really appreciated and helpful. We fished Saturday from about 11 to 3. most of the fishing was done around Hutt and Tunstal bay. We did mark some bait (very little) but didn't manage any fish. It was absolutely pissing out but we managed to stay dry at least. It may just be a bit early for the fish, or they were holding up in some other part of the Sound. It was a lot of fun and we had the ocean to ourselves. Thanks again for the info.

Capt Hook - We actually did drop some prawn traps and managed around 50 or so...none of which were eaten off a hotdog stick! We also managed 4 keeper crabs, so all in all not a bad day on the water..

That sounds like a fabulous weekend.
you did it right , congrats.
try the prawn on stick next time , with garlic butter dip or what have u....
kids and adults all enjoy it.
geeez , i,m hungry suddenly

Reports are VERY sparse this time of year :) Surely somebody must be out there in the cold looking for early signs of winter springs? I will be heading out on Saturday in the gulf islands and will report back.

Just registered to this site, the tale end of last week we managed a few along WestVan Shoreline as well as a few On the Back side of Bowen. Most between 45 and 50cm. We did lose one that felt legal. 3 and 3.5" spoons behind flashers. More action than I'm used to this time of year. Lots of bait marking that day.

been doing alot of prawning lately and noticed alot more diving birds,,, good sign,, gonna try on saturday around bowen.

I'm gonna drop the prawn traps in Howe Sound for the weekend and maybe soak the crab traps off Jericho too. A bit too cold to be staring at rods for a few hours for my liking.

Typically every year it is a lil slower until january.. As it has been this year.. Checking trapline today and going out saturday again .. We will see.. I use commercial size netting so we dont get slot of smalls.. A pound per trap of jumbos is all i really want/need..

Got out for a few hours today off west van. No hits from salmon but I did pick up a ling cod and released him. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387073141.251863.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1387073158.447749.jpg

Right on bud. Glad you got some action for your effort. If you see me out there come closer and say hi. Might be out next weekend.

Chris.

Right on bud. Glad you got some action for your effort. If you see me out there come closer and say hi. Might be out next weekend.

Chris.
I making plans to be out next weekend as well there Chris, cant have you out there having all the fun to yourself.
you got that kid trained to bait hooks yet lol
Tim

I headed over the gulf islands this weekend and spent 4 hours fishing the east side of Galiano on Saturday. A few undersized lings were all we were able to drag up unfortunately. Had one promising hit and that snapped our mainline (musta been a knick) but other than that just nice to be out of the water on a decent winter day. Will be trying again over the holidays. We were dragging spoons just off bottom.

Fished the QB to Cap today. Only one pin-popper at the Cap light, which didn't stick. Fished spoons with and without flashers, dragging the bottom.

No Tim,
My little man is still in diapers and I don't let him near the hooks or he will hook his mouth!! I hope to see you out there this weekend.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back