Westcoast Fishing Tackle?

Most modern spoons are a knock off of something similar used in the past.

I loved the old (made in canada) coyote spoons. The glow actually held a charge and the paint didnt flake off after 1 or 2 strikes. Those spoons were almost certainly a knock-off of another spoon from the past. Most of the big tackle manufacturers these days have their own version of a coyote.

Generally when i hear the term "knock off" i think of an existing product that somebody has seen, and decided that they could make something similar in design with cheaper components. What if somebody took an existing design and instead made a few improvements, is that still a knock off?

Imho, these spoons and many like them are just another persons take on an old classic. Nothing wrong with looking at a product and thinking you could make it better.

I loved the old (made in canada) coyote spoons. The glow actually held a charge and the paint didnt flake off after 1 or 2 strikes. Those spoons were almost certainly a knock-off of another spoon from the past. Most of the big tackle manufacturers these days have their own version of a coyote.

Generally when i hear the term "knock off" i think of an existing product that somebody has seen, and decided that they could make something similar in design with cheaper components. What if somebody took an existing design and instead made a few improvements, is that still a knock off?

Imho, these spoons and many like them are just another persons take on an old classic. Nothing wrong with looking at a product and thinking you could make it better.
If I read correctly Locally made as well.

No doubt most fishing tackle it derivative, nature of the beast. But when the owner of a company references what spoon he used as the basis for his "new" lineup of spoons in the launch video it becomes more than derivative. Calling it the phat-e that knocks off the Skinny-G lacks respect for the original. I guess knocking it off in the first place show reverence but most companies seem to be able to walk that line with a little more class.

Calling it the phat-e

haha I feel dumb that did not put two and two together.

my afternoon tho was a **** show tho at work today so I’m not surprised

reminds me of the show I watched the other night that talked about the inventers of the hoolahoop and frisbee.

The only real quality spoons I've found in the last few years are the AP spoons. No crappy paint that flakes off, no bending and warping.
They are a little more money but well worth it.

I agree. Andrew's design is also unique in what is out there. I really like supporting him and his family. Some of the spoons he gave me when he started up I still fish with.

The coho killer is a copy of an old spoon called the coho king.
I’d love to see someone do a recreation of a coho killer that’s a little stronger, has better paint and a decent hook.

I’d love to see someone do a recreation of a coho killer that’s a little stronger, has better paint and a decent hook.
Wee gee is not far off. That’s what I have switched to with good success. Although you still have to change out the hook.

Like this one? An oldtimer from the Saanich Inlet gave me a few 40 years ago.

Attachments

• 20211208_143553.jpg
    20211208_143553.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 153
  • 20211208_143558.jpg
    20211208_143558.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I like the Hammer spoons from LeftCoast Lures. He uses stickers instead of paint, but I haven't had an issue with them peeling off. They hold their shape exceptionally well and can be more or less bent depending on what you like

LINK to page

Back