Intersting fishing tackle history in BC - The ones who helped form local fishing habits.

PEETZcanada

This thread was inspired by a recent question about a historical question about a local Victoria company.

The first company I chose, and in no particular order is from one of the makers that I looked up to as a young angler building my passion around fishing.

This info was found on the internet...

Jim Gilbert Lure Company has a fascinating history rooted in the world of fishing. Let’s dive into the story of this renowned company:
  • Founding and Early Years:
    • The company, known as Krippled Fishing Lures, was established over 40 years ago by two fishing enthusiasts: Jim Gilbert and his partner Jack Robertson in 1962.
    • Jim’s connection to the fishing industry goes back even further. His father used to rent rowboats to salmon anglers in Brentwood Bay on Vancouver Island during the 1920s. Jim grew up in a boathouse, surrounded by the allure of fishing.
    • By the age of 13, Jim was already a salmon-fishing guide, navigating the waters of Vancouver Island. His intimate knowledge of the area’s fishing spots and techniques set the stage for his future endeavors.
  • Guiding and International Acclaim:
    • With 30 years of guiding experience, Jim earned a reputation as one of Canada’s most internationally acclaimed fishing guides.
    • Impressively, he achieved a career record of 332 consecutive guiding trips without a “skunk” (meaning no fishless outings) in the early 1970s.
    • Jim’s clientele included notable figures such as Canadian Prime Ministers John Diefenbaker and Lester B. Pearson, as well as U.S. President George Bush.
  • Venturing into Lure Business:
    • In 1962, Jim and Jack entered the lure business. Leveraging Jim’s fishing expertise and Jack’s contacts in the Orient (thanks to his role as a 2nd officer for Canadian Pacific Airlines), they introduced their first lure: the Krippled Minnow, which impressively sold 6,000 units in its debut year.
    • In 1964, Jim worked on refining the McKnight spoon, resulting in the creation of the Krippled “K” Spoon. This lure, characterized by larger ring holes, increased width, and lighter metals, became highly productive.
    • The same year, the Slasher Flasher was introduced—a fish-shaped, stainless steel dodger-style blade designed to attract salmon and enhance lure movement.
  • Continuing Legacy and Innovations:
    • Tragically, Jack passed away in 1965, but Jim carried on, forming Jim Gilbert Ent., which encompassed the lure business, Jim’s artwork, books, and lecturing.
    • The Krippled Herring Dodger (a narrow stainless steel dodger) debuted in 1967, followed by the Jim Gilbert Dodger (a wider stainless steel dodger) in various lengths.
    • In 1970, Jim introduced the Krippled Herring, later adapting it to accommodate larger bait.
    • The Krippled Anchovy, introduced in 1979, has sold over one million pieces and remains the most popular of all the Krippled lures.
    • In 1990, the Slasher Flasher underwent a redesign, becoming a line-through flasher made of plated plastic.
    • In 1991, Jim Gilbert Ent. sold its lure division to longtime employee Butch MacPherson, who now operates the business under the original name Krippled Fishing Lures from Sooke, B.C..
Jim Gilbert’s legacy extends beyond fishing lures—he was also a noted author, lecturer, accomplished artist, and a true icon in the world of angling12.

Last edited:
I met Rhys only once, but got to know his son Tom over the years in my late, late teens as an inquisitive young lure maker. He was one of the people that I looked up to and continue to respect whole heartedly today.

the following information is from the internet...

The Rhys Davis Lure Company has a fascinating history that spans several decades. Let’s dive into the story behind these iconic fishing lures:
  1. Origins and Early Days:
    • Rhys Davis, born in 1906, grew up on a family farm near the present-day Swartz Bay ferry terminal in Victoria, British Columbia.
    • Fishing and hunting were not just recreational activities for him; they were essential for putting food on the family table.
    • Rhys was also a skilled craftsman and spent part of each year in Seattle as a furrier, designing and creating women’s fur coats and stoles for a prominent department store.
    • During this time, he fished for salmon in Puget Sound and developed the idea for a better fishing lure.
    • Back on the farm, he perfected his first production lure called the “Strip Teaser”. This hollow plastic bait-retaining device was designed to hold bait more effectively than existing options.
    • Rhys spent countless hours on the original Swartz Bay ferry dock, experimenting to achieve the perfect roll for his lure.
    • His son, Tom, often accompanied him on these fishing adventures, even though Rhys was occasionally forgetful about his whereabouts!
  2. The Strip Teaser:
    • The success of Rhys Davis lures began with the Strip Teaser. To make it work, Rhys needed precisely fitted herring strips.
    • The process of cutting strips was labor-intensive, and the entire family pitched in. Rhys cut the strips, while his wife, Loma, tied the lures.
    • Daily production filled the freezer on top of the kitchen fridge, and young Tom helped package the frozen strips.
    • The Strip Teaser became a staple for BC anglers, fooling salmon and other game fish into striking.
  3. Legacy and Evolution:
    • Tom Davis took over the company from his father in the early 1990s.
    • Under Tom’s leadership, Rhys Davis Ltd. expanded its lure lineup:
      • Bullet Roll Special: Introduced as a new lure.
      • Super Herring Special: A revised version of an existing lure.
      • The company also introduced an array of colors based on new glow and UV pigment technologies.
  4. Rhys Davis Today:
In summary, Rhys Davis lures have a rich history rooted in practicality, craftsmanship, and a passion for fishing. They’ve become an integral part of BC anglers’ tackle boxes, enticing salmon and other fish for nearly seven decades! 🎣🐟

Some information is dated and Tom has since sold to GIBBS a number of years back.

Last edited:
Jack was another amazing person that I met at a very young age and truly respect what he created and accomplished in the fishing industry.

This information is again from the internet...

Certainly! Let’s dive into the fascinating history of Hot Spot Lures, a company founded by the ingenious Canadian fisherman, Jack Gaunt.
  1. Inventor and Founder:
  2. What Does a Hot Spot Flasher Do?:
    • The Hot Spot Flasherserves three essential purposes:
      1. Vibration: It creates vibrations that attract fish to your gear.
      2. Visual Target: The flasher provides a visual target or stimulus for predator fish.
      3. Action Enhancement: It imparts action to a lure or bait that lacks inherent movement.
    • Anglers can even use a false-flasher setup, where the flasher is positioned 20-25 feet off the downrigger cable or ball. The lure, with its own action, is then placed 8-10 feet above the flasher. This setup combines vibration and visual stimuli to entice fish 1.
  3. Compatibility and Superiority:
  4. Trolling Speed and Color Selection:
  5. The Apex Lure:
  6. Color Variety:
Hot Spot Lures Ltd. is headquartered in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, where the cold waters of the Pacific Ocean surround this fishing hotspot on Vancouver Island 3. Jack Gaunt’s legacy lives on through these innovative fishing tools, enhancing the angling experience for generations of fishermen! 🎣🇨🇦

I was fortunate enough to meet Tom Moss when I was younger in Sooke, BC. He too is one of the people that have had a profound impresion on the development of my life long passion...as have the new owners of TOMIC Cam and Catherine Forbes, amazing people.

This info is from the internet...

Certainly! Let’s delve into the fascinating history of Tomic Lures, a company with deep roots in the world of fishing and lure craftsmanship.

The Origins of Tomic Lures​

The story begins with Tom Moss, one of the founders of Tomic Lures. The name “Tomic” itself is a blend of Tom and Dick, the latter of whom initially joined Tom in this venture. However, Dick eventually moved on to other pursuits, leaving the name “Tomic” as a lasting legacy.
Tom dedicated over half a century to building and refining Tomic lures. His passion and expertise laid the foundation for what would become an iconic brand in the fishing world.

Passing the Torch​

In 2002, Tom decided to retire, but he didn’t want the secrets of Tomic to fade away. Enter Cameron & Catherine Forbes, who would carry the torch forward. Let’s learn more about them:
  1. Cameron Forbes:
    • Cameron grew up fishing in Gold River, located in Nootka Sound on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. His familiarity with Tomic lures ran deep.
    • Recognizing an opportunity, Cameron established the Critter Cove fishing lodge in 1993. Critter Cove now serves as the official test tank for Tomic lures.
  2. Catherine Forbes:
    • Catherine’s fishing roots trace back to her family in Campbell River on the East Coast of Vancouver Island.
    • She was well-acquainted with Tomic lures, having fished for the Tyee Club, which exclusively allows artificial lures. Catherine even landed her first Tyee for the club at the tender age of 9!
    • Catherine’s biggest catch weighed in at 53 pounds in 1986, making her the Tyee Man for that year.
    • Before moving to Nootka in 1996, Catherine worked as a salmon fishing guide in Campbell River during the summers.

The Tomic Legacy Continues​

Once Tom imparted the Tomic secrets to the Forbes duo, they relocated the workshop to Gold River, where it remains today. A team of talented lure makers and airbrush artists collaborates to create these exceptional lures.
So next time you cast your line, remember the rich history behind those Tomic lures – a legacy passed down from generation to generation, fueled by passion and a love for the art of fishing. 🎣🐟
For more details, you can explore the official Tomic Lures website.123

Blayney Scott taught me my first lesson in business. I was 12 turning 13 years old, I met him at his shop in James Bay, Victoria. They used to make net lights for the commercial fleet and punched out center cores of foam floats to fit the pipe. I asked if i could collect the waste and he agreed. While I was there scrambling around picking up the pieces...he and his partner would tease me a bit by pretending to try and steal my idea, I had a zipper lip. This was my very first product that I introduced into the market. I was making floats for river fishing, Gordon's Sports was my very first customer.

This information is from the internet...

In 1952, Blayney Scott and his wife Almeda embarked on a remarkable journey in Victoria, British Columbia. Their vision was to revolutionize the manufacturing of fishing gear and marine products by pioneering the use of plastics. Thus, Scotty Manufacturing Ltd. was born.
From their modest beginnings, Scotty evolved into a company that produces thousands of products under the Scotty trademark. These products cater to the fishing, marine, outdoor, and firefighting industries worldwide. Let’s take a glimpse at some key milestones in Scotty’s history:
  1. 1952: Blayney and Almeda Scott establish Scotty Manufacturing, focusing on plastic-based fishing lures and marine products.
  2. 1990: The mysterious Black Box emerges—a device that anglers believe could magically attract fish to their boats by altering electrical currents in downrigger cables.
  3. 2000: The 163 1.5″ Ball Mount becomes a popular product.
  4. 2018: Scotty introduces the 2106 High Performance Pro Pack.
  5. 2022: Scotty continues its legacy of innovation, quality, and service, remaining committed to designing outstanding sport fishing equipment.
For the past 70 years, Scotty has thrived, thanks to its passionate customers and dedicated staff. They’ve weathered the tides, reeled in success, and continue to shape the fishing world with their ingenuity and commitment. 🎣🌊
For more Scotty updates, join the community at @SCOTTYPRODUCTS12.

This thread was inspired by a recent question about a historical question about a local Victoria company.

The first company I chose, and in no particular order is from one of the makers that I looked up to as a young angler building my passion around fishing.

Jim Gilbert Lure Company has a fascinating history rooted in the world of fishing. Let’s dive into the story of this renowned company:
    • The company, known as Krippled Fishing Lures, was established over 40 years ago by two fishing enthusiasts: Jim Gilbert and his partner Jack Robertson in 1962.
    • Jim’s connection to the fishing industry goes back even further. His father used to rent rowboats to salmon anglers in Brentwood Bay on Vancouver Island during the 1920s. Jim grew up in a boathouse, surrounded by the allure of fishing.
    • By the age of 13, Jim was already a salmon-fishing guide, navigating the waters of Vancouver Island. His intimate knowledge of the area’s fishing spots and techniques set the stage for his future endeavors.
    • With 30 years of guiding experience, Jim earned a reputation as one of Canada’s most internationally acclaimed fishing guides.
    • Impressively, he achieved a career record of 332 consecutive guiding trips without a “skunk” (meaning no fishless outings) in the early 1970s.
    • Jim’s clientele included notable figures such as Canadian Prime Ministers John Diefenbaker and Lester B. Pearson, as well as U.S. President George Bush.
    • In 1962, Jim and Jack entered the lure business. Leveraging Jim’s fishing expertise and Jack’s contacts in the Orient (thanks to his role as a 2nd officer for Canadian Pacific Airlines), they introduced their first lure: the Krippled Minnow, which impressively sold 6,000 units in its debut year.
    • In 1964, Jim worked on refining the McKnight spoon, resulting in the creation of the Krippled “K” Spoon. This lure, characterized by larger ring holes, increased width, and lighter metals, became highly productive.
    • The same year, the Slasher Flasher was introduced—a fish-shaped, stainless steel dodger-style blade designed to attract salmon and enhance lure movement.
    • Tragically, Jack passed away in 1965, but Jim carried on, forming Jim Gilbert Ent., which encompassed the lure business, Jim’s artwork, books, and lecturing.
    • The Krippled Herring Dodger (a narrow stainless steel dodger) debuted in 1967, followed by the Jim Gilbert Dodger (a wider stainless steel dodger) in various lengths.
    • In 1970, Jim introduced the Krippled Herring, later adapting it to accommodate larger bait.
    • The Krippled Anchovy, introduced in 1979, has sold over one million pieces and remains the most popular of all the Krippled lures.
    • In 1990, the Slasher Flasher underwent a redesign, becoming a line-through flasher made of plated plastic.
    • In 1991, Jim Gilbert Ent. sold its lure division to longtime employee Butch MacPherson, who now operates the business under the original name Krippled Fishing Lures from Sooke, B.C..
Jim Gilbert’s legacy extends beyond fishing lures—he was also a noted author, lecturer, accomplished artist, and a true icon in the world of angling12.

I used to drag a dew worm on a tandem hook leader behind a Krippled No 2 Dodger to target big cutthroat and bull trout in BC’s lakes. I used a mooching sinker to get it deep and in spite of always flirting with the bottom I didn’t snag and lose it until after more than thirty years of reliable action.
A buddy who used to fish with me and knew how well this worked and how disappointed I was to lose it found me another just recently.
E24576E8-F5A3-4452-9B68-2967FD33647D.jpeg

I met Rhys only once, but got to know his son Tom over the years in my late, late teens as an inquisitive young lure maker. He was one of the people that I looked up to and continue to respect whole heartedly today.

the following information is from the internet...

The Rhys Davis Lure Company has a fascinating history that spans several decades. Let’s dive into the story behind these iconic fishing lures:
  1. Origins and Early Days:
    • Rhys Davis, born in 1906, grew up on a family farm near the present-day Swartz Bay ferry terminal in Victoria, British Columbia.
    • Fishing and hunting were not just recreational activities for him; they were essential for putting food on the family table.
    • Rhys was also a skilled craftsman and spent part of each year in Seattle as a furrier, designing and creating women’s fur coats and stoles for a prominent department store.
    • During this time, he fished for salmon in Puget Sound and developed the idea for a better fishing lure.
    • Back on the farm, he perfected his first production lure called the “Strip Teaser”. This hollow plastic bait-retaining device was designed to hold bait more effectively than existing options.
    • Rhys spent countless hours on the original Swartz Bay ferry dock, experimenting to achieve the perfect roll for his lure.
    • His son, Tom, often accompanied him on these fishing adventures, even though Rhys was occasionally forgetful about his whereabouts!
  2. The Strip Teaser:
    • The success of Rhys Davis lures began with the Strip Teaser. To make it work, Rhys needed precisely fitted herring strips.
    • The process of cutting strips was labor-intensive, and the entire family pitched in. Rhys cut the strips, while his wife, Loma, tied the lures.
    • Daily production filled the freezer on top of the kitchen fridge, and young Tom helped package the frozen strips.
    • The Strip Teaser became a staple for BC anglers, fooling salmon and other game fish into striking.
  3. Legacy and Evolution:
    • Tom Davis took over the company from his father in the early 1990s.
    • Under Tom’s leadership, Rhys Davis Ltd. expanded its lure lineup:
      • Bullet Roll Special: Introduced as a new lure.
      • Super Herring Special: A revised version of an existing lure.
      • The company also introduced an array of colors based on new glow and UV pigment technologies.
  4. Rhys Davis Today:
In summary, Rhys Davis lures have a rich history rooted in practicality, craftsmanship, and a passion for fishing. They’ve become an integral part of BC anglers’ tackle boxes, enticing salmon and other fish for nearly seven decades! 🎣🐟

Some information is dated and Tom has since sold to GIBBS a number of years back.
My father talks about cutting Herring strip for Rhys Davis in the early days through Askey's Fish market. At that time there was very little commercially available strip as most people cut their own.

CR Greg

Thanks for putting this all together Robert !! These are the names I grew up with as my father was familiar and friends with many of these people. We need to remember that a lot of the gear innovations grew out of the commercial Troll fleet. What better place to test gear than a troller. Other names I recall are Jack James at Radiant and who can forget the master of the Herring Jig "Whiskers" who was a neighbor of my family growing up in the late 60's early 70's and I had the privledge of learning how to jig Herring off the Craigflower Bridge from.

CR Greg

Jim Gilbert’s legacy extends beyond fishing lures—he was also a noted author, lecturer, accomplished artist, and a true icon in the world of angling12.M
My Dad was friends with Jimmy Gilbert. When I was a kid I spend many days fishing off Jim's dock in Brentwood Bay. We used to catch perch with handline and had one rod we would put off the end of the dock with live perch for lingers. Carried them home squished in a rat trap on the back of my bike LOL.
My dad is gone now but my mom still has 8 pieces of his art on the wall. Some originals. My mom was telling me she has a blanket box lid with his art that had not been signed. My dad ran into Jim and got it signed a week before he passed.
Going off old memory here. I'm sure my mom has lots of info and stories.

I used to drag a dew worm on a tandem hook leader behind a Krippled No 2 Dodger to target big cutthroat and bull trout in BC’s lakes. I used a mooching sinker to get it deep and in spite of always flirting with the bottom I didn’t snag and lose it until after more than thirty years of reliable action.
A buddy who used to fish with me and knew how well this worked and how disappointed I was to lose it found me another just recently.
View attachment 104028
I have a couple of these brand new, still in plastic.

Charlie White invented a bunch of lures and developed the Scotty downrigger with Blayney Scott

Last edited:
Here are a few mentions of Wilson & Lenfesty I found on the net. I grew up a few doors away from Jack James and Ken? Packford of Radiant lures. I tied spinners and a few bucktails with John and Matt but I never went fishing with them. Living on this island for all these yrs and only discovered fishing myself 6 yrs ago.

Attachments

• A16E1398-55B9-4354-A7F3-0FFE6307A81D.jpeg
    A16E1398-55B9-4354-A7F3-0FFE6307A81D.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 32
  • FFE7B5B2-B1CD-4D03-9894-1EF2AD62EC8A.jpeg
    FFE7B5B2-B1CD-4D03-9894-1EF2AD62EC8A.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 92BAB681-CC97-45D9-8A83-332A686D319D.jpeg
    92BAB681-CC97-45D9-8A83-332A686D319D.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 32
Here are a few mentions of Wilson & Lenfesty I found on the net. I grew up a few doors away from Jack James and Ken? Packford of Radiant lures. I tied spinners and a few bucktails with John and Matt but I never went fishing with them. Living on this island for all these yrs and only discovered fishing myself 6 yrs ago.
The Pacific Recorder is a PEETZ product. The first reel range that Boris Peetz made was called the Pacific. In reading one of the images that you posted, I would say that Wilson Lenfesty was a distributor for PEETZ at one point, and for how long, I have no idea. Great find, thanks for sharing.

Back