Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

I am taking the litte ones, 7 and 9, out tomorrow morning in hopes for some pinks action. Is it still hot? any advice where/what?

Thanks,

Stefan

Try Pedder Bay, Beecher Bay, or Secretary Island. Finding them at all different depths from 30-75 ft.

This may interest some.........from friends reports, there are pinks around yellow can buoy at 70-110 on tide lines. They picked up a couple in a couple hours.

Fished off North Pender island again yesterday. Only made it out for a few hours in the afternoon. Only action was a double header of pinks which I landed and bonked. Nothing else for the rest of the day.

Huge orca show off otter bay. Must have been 20 whales and 50 boats there watching.

Pretty slow for us this weekend, we worked the usual gear in search of some Springs but.... Nada. :(
On Saturday there were a few fish caught on the flats,Sunday looked slow for most boats.
Heard a few reports that some decent Springs were taken off the waterfront
and the pinks are slowly arriving as well.

where to go Craven

R.S. Craven

I consider you the Oracle of all things "Oak Bay". Could I pose a question to you please.

1)If I am targeting sockeye and launching from cattle point, am I waisting my time?
Gas +time to Sooke+ has anyone really figured out where they go past Discovery Island? Is it worth a search or is it better to get up and go to Sooke. Your thoughts please.

2) what about taking the wife and kids out for Pinks from Oak Bay? In previous years, for me its been a waste of time. More productive west of Race.; Am I missing anything??

thanks Bud

appreciate it
Gary

Buddy of mine was fishing the break water off Victoria last week and this weekend.. he bumped into several sockeye while trolling for springs..
Launch form Esquimalt anglers and go out a few miles to the Yellow can bouy and drop the gear.. heard they were getting pinks there, I'm sure the Sockeye are there to.. just look for other boats out there fishing.. watch to see which boats are playing fish... you will get a sence where the schools are..

The diversion rate is higher for Johnstone Straights than JDF; the run isn't that big; and I believe that the sockeye come past Race and somewhere along the way many of them head into American waters and hit the shore near Bellingham and then up to the Fraser. These things lower the odds from Victoria up. How was the fishing for sockeye in the Oak Bay/ Pender Bluffs/Active Pass areas last year when the run was huge?

If I am targeting sockeye and launching from cattle point, am I waisting my time?
Gas +time to Sooke+ has anyone really figured out where they go past Discovery Island? Is it worth a search or is it better to get up and go to Sooke. Your thoughts please.

the sockeye do not come through this way although you may find them further out at Constance bank.

2) what about taking the wife and kids out for Pinks from Oak Bay? In previous years, for me its been a waste of time. More productive west of Race.; Am I missing anything??

There were a few boats fishing pinks off Oakbay out on the tidelines between Trial and Discovery
i know of one caught for sure.
when i first started fishing here and couldn't catch a Spring for the life of me
we went out and limited on pinks several times.
find the tide lines and then traverse back and forth trolling a pink squirt or a small spoon.

Good luck Gary ! :)

Tons of pinks off Oak Bay right now. Played probably 30 fish yesterday in 2.5 hours. Kept 4 beefy ones for the smoker . Get into 300 feet of water and a tideline between Trial and Discovery and let the fun begin. I was fishing a cohokiller and a redsquirt on a mini flasher and it was non stop. 60 to 90 feet seemed to be the right depth.

Not much action otherwise though,not many springs comin in.

beemer

Thanks for the update beemer. Time to take the kids out for a short, no boredom, action-filled trip with the fly rods.

To fish or not to fish (for salmon), on a full moon (Saturday morning)

Please reply you experienced guys.....

I don't really buy into the whole full moon mythology. my take is if it is a clear night salmon have a little longer time to feed due to the brightness of the moon and may be a little less hungry on a morning bite. The fact is the fish are still there and are genetically programmed to feed heavily this time of the year.

Full moons create big tides though and that is why IMHO the "no fish on a full moon" theory started.

my two cents,

beemer

The full moon helped us out last night. Picked up a nice 8lb hatchery coho off pender bluffs shortly after sunset last night.

Lots of orcas splashing around. Cool sight to see under a full moon.

Went out off the waterfront today for a few hours. I think I saw Beemer rescuing someone this morning. My radio was off an I was trying to teach someone how to set up lines and run the riggers, then I looked up and saw him towing a little hourston in by Trial. Anyway, worked trial to flagpole a few times, but no chinook, so headed out for the yellow bouy. Picked up 2 large pinks and a brown sea bass about 5 or 6 lbs. Then the killer whale show that was likely at Pender last night, pulled up for some snacking on pinks/ sockeye and to show off for the whale watching boats. The wind was picking up, so we headed in around 1. My friend got his first salmon so he was happy. Taught him how to fillet too, so it was kinda like elementary salmon school. Both pinks, and they were pinks, had quite nice dark pink/reddish flesh.Very nice meat.

I tried out a seafood "shake'n'bake" on the seabass and my son went crazy for it. He ate about 5 times more fish than usual. He's not a big salmon eater, but perhaps the shake'n'bake might get him more interested in some fishing for snapper/ling/hali/seabass. Perhaps if I can change up the menu some more from the BBQ/baked salmon and smoked salmon he might be a more motivated fishing partner and get out with me more often.

Does anyone out there have some good tips aside from pink fishing to keep the kids more interested and engaged with dads outdoor/fishing activities?

Went out off the waterfront today for a few hours. I think I saw Beemer rescuing someone this morning. My radio was off an I was trying to teach someone how to set up lines and run the riggers, then I looked up and saw him towing a little hourston in by Trial. Anyway, worked trial to flagpole a few times, but no chinook, so headed out for the yellow bouy. Picked up 2 large pinks and a brown sea bass about 5 or 6 lbs. Then the killer whale show that was likely at Pender last night, pulled up for some snacking on pinks/ sockeye and to show off for the whale watching boats. The wind was picking up, so we headed in around 1. My friend got his first salmon so he was happy. Taught him how to fillet too, so it was kinda like elementary salmon school. Both pinks, and they were pinks, had quite nice dark pink/reddish flesh.Very nice meat.

I tried out a seafood "shake'n'bake" on the seabass and my son went crazy for it. He ate about 5 times more fish than usual. He's not a big salmon eater, but perhaps the shake'n'bake might get him more interested in some fishing for snapper/ling/hali/seabass. Perhaps if I can change up the menu some more from the BBQ/baked salmon and smoked salmon he might be a more motivated fishing partner and get out with me more often.

Does anyone out there have some good tips aside from pink fishing to keep the kids more interested and engaged with dads outdoor/fishing activities?

Yup , that was me , poor guy first time out on his new boat. Hopefully he will get a VHF now!

Out off Trial today , still plenty of pinks and even a few sockeye!

beemer

Back