Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Lakeside6

Congrats Lakeside,what makes it even better is the fact that you caught it off Rock Sausage Row*;) well other than you bagged it before it hit the flats where surely Ten Mile & r.s would be lurking:cool:...sammy

*Victoria waterfront

I am now seriously questioning my brother's expert weight guessing on other's fish when he has none in the boat. He said my fish was 18 maybe 20. I was thinking 20 +, but rarely catch the decent size fish so my judgement is off. Anyway, I measures the length from nose to fork in tail = 35.5 inches and girth was 24. I think it was so long it made it look skinnier. I just picked up the frozen meat trays and they are likely 20, so I went online for an estimate. The link below said it was 26lb and change. Are these online tools accurate?

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/weightcalculator.htm

Just caught a 22 lb chinook yesterday which measured 35.5 inches and was weighed on digital scale.
Did not measure girth to check accuracy of formula.

We were out on the o.b flats this morning.. we got a 30lber. and a 13lber.
Weekend trip before we got a 27lber and a 15lber.. some good fishing locally, go get'em !! Lots of dog fish to deal with, check your gear often.

This morning,
IMG_5860.jpg

Finally out there.......

Finally got my boat out there. Anyone willing to tell me their secret about where I should put a crab trap?

Attachments

• 100_0313.jpg
    100_0313.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 50
well, i hit the flats tonight finally. No action though. Wind started to blow pretty good, and i couldn't keep my gear down because there was too much seaweed. I only trolled for 30 mins or so, then gave up. oh well, next time hopefully!

Finally got my boat out there. Anyone willing to tell me their secret about where I should put a crab trap?

on the bottom! try to find a flat sandy spot out of big currents in the 25' to 40' range. You will want to put some extra weight in the trap so it stays put. Look for the other traps in the area. Make sure you use sinking line as there seems to be an epidemic of floating line in Oak Bay. I have ran over two lines in the last week. One trap had about 150' of floating line in 30' of water , took me 30 minutes to clear my prop.

beemer

Headed out on Friday -- hit the flats with a couple of friends from about 7-10am without any luck. Decided to see if there were any Pinks around so took a ride out to Border Bank. 5 pinks in the cooler, at least 6+ lost. On checking the crab trap, the largest haul of large male crabs I've ever pulled. Total of 17 crabs in a single trap, 12 males all over 7". Everyone had a crab and salmon feed on Friday night.

Oak%252520Bay-20110722-00002.jpg

IMG-20110722-00003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the way to Pat Bay yesterday we dropped the gear on the flats for an hour before the BIG flood hit and picked up a low teener. Just after we landed it we saw some jiggers landing a double header of springs and then they left. We talked to another guy fishing beside them and he saw them get at least a few more. Looked like they limited and there were 3 guys on board. That's good fishing!

Just caught a 22 lb chinook yesterday which measured 35.5 inches and was weighed on digital scale.
Did not measure girth to check accuracy of formula.

Thanks Silver Streak. Somewhere in the ballpark of good fighting and good tasting regardless of whether it weighs in at 18, 20, 22, or 26. I'll just start dropping in to the OB marina. I am pretty sure they have a scale there.

Good to hear there are still decent fish around the flats. I was off to North Saanich/Sidney over another fine long weekend. Took my Okanagan trout fishing buddy and his 8 yr old out Saturday and the little guy landed a nice 12lb chinook. His first salmon. He is stoked for the fishing saltwater now. We got that in the channel by Powder Wharf on James Island. Lots of salmon and bait showing there, at Hamley Pt on Sidney Island, and Fairfaw Pt on Moresby Island. Got some bottom fish over there too. Headed over to Pat Bay. Tonnes of bait on the bottom, but mostly in the top 15ft of water being chased by salmon. Saw 3 salmon just cruising the surface, and lots of tail swirls as we approached. No hits or catches there during the day, but last night between 930 and 1030 we got 4 big hits and 2 buried the rod like we hit bottom, but we were 15ft down in 150+ ft water. The salmon kept nailing the 3inch tomic plug we were trolling. The guest was too slow setting the hook and lost all 4, but it was exciting.

The fish are everywhere. It is all good.

Traded some salmon and okanagan fruit with neighbours in North Saanich. Ended up with two nights of salmon, crab, prawn and rib eye steak BBQ dinners. Beauty weekend.

We ran the boat back from Pat Bay, stopped at the flats on our way for an hour, current was just ripping, was hard to fish, lots of bait, no salmon, dog fish were bad again.. continued our trip on ward to Sooke.. stopped at Sectretary Isl. for an hour and limited in pinks, one small spring and one sockeye.. set up at Sooke H. for the rest of the summer now.. Guys at the cleaning station had 5 springs from Otter.. Can'nt wait to get out there...

I am taking the litte ones, 7 and 9, out tomorrow morning in hopes for some pinks action. Is it still hot? any advice where/what?

Thanks,

Stefan

Back