Tuna off WCVI - who's done it

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:I plan on giving it a shot myself out of Renfrew.

Really? Any plans on doing that trip with clients?

Probably not immediatly, as it really changes what I have to have for training and a boat to go further then 25 miles offshore. I'll have to see how I do as well, I have years of our regular fishery under my belt, but I'll need a lot of time to really get the hang of it before I start doing it profesionally.

I think I'll have to move up to a craft with sealed decks, as well as my 60 ton masters, I'll do the research once I confirm it's a viable fishery.

Hey, maybe if there is enough interest, we could find a day in the summer and get a handful of boats going out together? I'm game and can fit 2 more on the boat to split the fuel, but being only 19' need to pick a day that the weather is certain to be good. From everything I've read, fishing Tuna is better if multiple boats cooperate anyhow.

Call it the First Annual SWCVI Tuna Hunt. Maybe make it a derby.

Takers?

If the salmon catch is going to be all doom and gloom, maybe this keeps our sport interesting and challenging -- not to mention tasty.

quote:First Annual SWCVI Tuna Hunt

I like it, Lastchance how far from Renfrew are you expecting to run?

Proably 60 miles from Renfrew proper, out around 30-50 miles. Depends where the warm water comes in, I was looking at Coastwatch as provided by 5Salt last summer. I think I'll have to be damn near off Lapush to be in the "zone" at times.

Near coastal voyage, Class 1 is the safetly requirement for that type of voyage, I'm still navigating Transport Canada's page to see what is needed.

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

What are the conditions like out that far in our waters. Is a 19' Striper enough boat or is that a trip better suited to a bigger boat?

Went out a couple of times on tuna last season as a couple noted above.
IMHO, I believe I'd pass on a 19' boat. Too far out there, to much possibility of something going not quite as right as it should, and anything over 20 miles out needs a rig with a tad more substance.

We went out in modified 24 foot Sea Rays (pod addition makes them actually almost 27') with newer, fully serviced 4 stroke mains, and kickers. Guess you could say I had a decided advantage: I also work with the troll fleet when it is engaged on salmon (as well as guiding). Many of the folks that commercially fish tuna are involved in the salmon troll as well, so I have become Buddies with many of them. In both occasions last year, I was forwarded up-to-the-minute reports from the grounds, knew what the catch rate was and was provided explicit GPS coordinates.

Extra precautions included a fair amount of water and foodstuffs, fuel maxed out, and of course several folks knowing exactly where we were headed (and the routes both ways). Didn't hurt to know I would be well within radio range of the commercial boats before I lost that from the coast.

First time out was to Grandfather Charles Canyon. A couple of boats working that area relayed news of decent catches, so 3 of us roared out. I closely monitored the water temperature along the way, and about 32 miles offshore, ran into a plume of 62 degree water. Time to drop the gear methinks, and troll towards the coordinates I had been given. Shut down the main, revved up the kicker, and got the gear ready. That was my first time, but I had some excellent advice from Ken Myers who had been there before. The technique was interesting. It seems tuna just love lots of bubbles, surface disturbance and lots of flash. So, we set flashers on 10 foot tethers just subsurface (they actually came close to topping out on each roll, creating a lot of disturbance) on each side. Then, the hali rods (standard 6 or 7 foot rods with heavy Shimao levelwinds loaded with 80lb braid) were rigged. 6 foot leaders of 50 pound test, swivel to mainline, standard tandem rig behind (but using huge 5/0 commercial beak hooks) behind a tuna clone. These were dropped back about 15 or 20 feet behind and off each side of the flashers. Then, revved the kicker to the max, and we were soon skipping along nicely at 5 knots. The clones running along just subsurface had me sort of questioning my sanity, but we hadn't made 100 yards when the first "finners" were observed, directly ahead!!:D

As we passed over where they had just surfaced, we were amazed to actually witness several tuna scream toward each of the lures in the super clear water (could see down about 75 feet!)! This was very much a race, and both rods engaged at almost the same millisecond with an explosion of spray! The initial run from these buggers is BLISTERING, often ripping 100 yards off the reels in mere seconds!! The battle that followed, once I'd cleared the downriggers, was excellent, feisty and long freight-train bursts. They eventually tired, and were gaffed into the boat. Bleeding them is critical, but a word to the wise here, cover everything you don't want splattered with blood prior to bringing them onboard!!

The next couple of hours the action was furious and non-stop! We eventually encountered a fairly large school, and they were more than cooperative. It was amazing to see them drawn up from the depths, as far down as 30 or so fathoms, by the surface disturbance we were creating. And the speed of that reaction was nearly unbelievable! We'd see them downstairs a fair ways, then almost without exception witness them streaking en masse towards the surface like missiles fired from a sub!! And with the clones running so close to the surface, we got to witness the vast majority of the takes! Sweet!

I toyed briefly with the idea of launching more than 2 rods, but the action was so damn fast, that soon fled from my mind!

One thing to keep in mind here, you MUST get the drags set just right before they hit! Too loose, and they'll spool you before you can think to react. Too tight, and they'll rip rod holders right off the boat! That happened to us twice. On one occasion, the rod went over the rail, but hung up on the downrigger wire. I leaned over the side, and gingerly retrieved it to discover the fish still peeling off line like no tomorrow. Handed him off just as the other went off. Sweet! On the second occasion, I was standing right next to the rod, saw a larger fish (~ 27-28 pounds) smoking up behind the lure, and was reaching for the rod when it hit. The rod holder base literally exploded, but I had the handle firmly in my grasp, and so saved both the set-up and the fish.

By the end of that day, we were all battle weary, damn tired from fighting so many strong and hot fish, but wearing grins a wire brush couldn't remove! The boat was spray-painted red from stem to stern, and blood poured constantly from the holds' pumps.

It is very much a different world out there. The water is extremely clear, and it is something of a funny feeling fishing with thousands of feet of water below you! The life out there is interesting too. On one occasion, a huge blue shark, attracted by the blood being pumped overboard, settled in just where the bilge hit the surface and tagged along with us for 20 minutes. One of the Ladz wanted to hook it, could have been done easily enough, but I didn't want to bring him on board, nor give up the potential hook-ups with tuna. So, he had to content himself with a handful of pictures. Loads of huge sunfish out there, always passing sluggishly by. Albatross galore, and whales of many different species. We actually sat for almost an hour, watching a small group of orcas attempting to separate a calf humpback from its mother and a few other adults. Never did see the conclusion of that, but damn interesting to watch!

The second trip out wasn't quite as successful as the first, but we did manage to find a handful. One of the highlights of that run was to run across an absolutely monstrous sea turtle (leatherback) of near 15 feet in diameter! It's head and neck were the size of a man's entire torso!! Too Cool!

Would I do it again? You Betcha! That was some of the most FUN I've had out on the chuck in a few years! Ca be super fast, and always an exciting fishery!!

For those thinking about doing this, a few suggestions:
- If at all possible, try to cultivate a working relationship with a few of the commercial Gentz. They are an excellent source of information, and may well prove to be your saviour should anything go wrong.
- Great idea to make the run with a couple of boats. The Buddy System works well out there to ensure you both make it home intact.
- Recently serviced and absolutely reliable power is required. You gotta have a back-up engine, and carry the usual spare parts (and more). Self reliance is the name of the game, the service center, or even another boat to help, are generally way to far away to be of any assistance.
- Good electronics, radar, sounders, radios (redundant), satellite phone even better, and of course informing a few folks as to your routes of travel and when to hit the panic button should you not re-appear back at the dock.
- These are looong runs. Extra food, extra water, and sufficient fuel must be considered.
- And of course, watch the weather. I wouldn't have gone on either run had there been even a sniff of an ugly on the horizon. We were lucky, both days it was as flat as a pancake out there. But it ain't always like that by any means. So the caveat "Know your limit, Play within it" very much applies.

Once all of that has been addressed, get ready for some of the most Fun you can have with your clothes on! As good as they taste, they're even better to hunt and fight!!

Cheers,
Nog

Editted to ad:
- Some very good advice on this thread!
- The water temp as SushiHunter noted is CRITICAL! The temp gradient charts you can get online very much help. Also another reason to try and have a contact with the fleet that is working them.
- Bleeding is critical to maintain quality. Do that the instant it comes onboard.
- These are warmed blooded (really) fish. They MUST be cooled and cooled down fast to maintain quality. Salt ice offers a quick heat sink and cold storage, good idea to have lots. If the fishing is not too fast, I prefer to loin them out right then and there. Cools even faster, and less effort when you get to the dock at the end of a long day.
- Run as many rods as you have holders. When one hooks up, a slight turn will usually engage one or two more for some madcap action.
ENJOY!!

Thats a cool post Matt [8D]

A friend of mine caught one right off friendly cove in nootka sound a couple summers ago.

Excellent post Nog, thanks so much for putting that out there.

If you think there is any chance now I am going to be able to concentrate on work for the rest of the day...

Man, that is an absolute dream trip!!! Makes a guy think about a 24+ foot boat!!!

Hey,, thx for the thread Iron that was cool... Man if a guy never wanted to hunt them suckers before he sure does now.. Man my old lady is going to hate you [8D] [8D] [8D]

Very good post IronNoggin!
Been lurking on some other forums down south and man that 2NA fishing sure sounds exciting. An' with the global warming it may become the choice catch in our neck o' the woods ;)

A lot of guys say they go out in 19 to 24 fters, so me thinks if you choose your weather and use a buddy system should be ok going out. I like what TenMile suggested getting toghether for the SFBC chapter 2NA fishing.

I'm in [8D]
Cheers yall

Great post Nog,I,ve ventured offshore as far as 38 miles off the north VI coast looking for the fury that the albies can bring ,only to come up empty handed, not because we were in the wrong place, it's just a big ocean out there.
The biggest asset that is available to us, that wish to pursue these addictive invaders from the warm water, is the SST charts available on line. It gives the sea surface temps from space. The best site I've found is Terrafin, it's available for about a $100 a year. There is no reason to go offshore unless there is at least 60 degree water out there.
We are planning a third trip to the outer limits this year again, any of you that would like to join the journey let me know.
All the safety stuff, dependable crafts etc. is a must.
Let me Know... email me

Hmmm, if there are enough guys interested, could a bunch throw in $5 each and split the cost of the online membership for the SST charts? I can only see doing this 1-2x per year (if that) so would rather use the $100 for fuel (or a quarter tank if they price keeps going up).

Maybe what we do is bracket a 2-4 weekend window in July or Aug (so we can get one with good weather) and get a bunch of boats interested in heading out together one day. Look for a day when the weather is guaranteed solid, wind is calm or <5-10kts.

This sounds like a meeting that needs to take place at a pub to work out some logistics.

nog great post.

We went last year off Oregon and we had the same experance with the reel drag being a little tight. I assume that the fish might have stopped by now with my freind hali rod and reel set up. The tuna make Salmon look like a second class fish. Nog what rods and reels did you use did you use? The freind I go out with wants to try to catch one on a Fly rod and reel set up but my bet is he is spooled in 10 seconds. The fly rod and reel set up is about $800. I wonder how the knuckle busters would work has anyone tried them. I just hope he chains it down this time.

When I tuna fished on the east coast and Cali we used clips with a cable to secure the reel but I have never seen any one do that up hear it is probably not a bad idea. I think that is what those rings are for on the penn internations reels. It really makes me long for summer to get here.

What I had in mind is to persuade my fishing buddy, since hes the proud owner of a 24ft cat, to try and go out for some hali at the banks and why not even some 2NA.
I'd gladly be sharing the juice and even bring some nice grab. I can make a meeean rye and brie sandwich :D
cheers

quote:Originally posted by mlaag

what you think gypseas you keen

what did you run for rods and reels chubby?

We were trolling for salmon...so the regular gear, This year I want to try taget them a bit more so I got some tuna style plugs with skirts in them. The guest only landed the one but two more were lost by the boat all within a 2 hour period. Back the next day and nothing. Need to learn more about how they move around and when to expect to encounter them again.

LodgeLivin066.jpg

The vicinity of the Nitnat Canyon has been good to us the last couple of years. Last week of August the past summer was especially productive with larger than average fish. Some very good advice being passed around so far. Just thought I'd give a little pointer as to where. Tight temp breaks with 61F+ temps in 300+ fathoms of water have resulted in pretty fast fishing here.

BCtuna.jpg

quote:Originally posted by PNW

Just thought I'd give a little pointer as to where. Tight temp breaks with 61F+ temps in 300+ fathoms of water have resulted in pretty fast fishing here.

Could that warmer temperature have anything to do with all those unexploded bombs and explosives dumping sites? I'm glad this isn't about halibut fishing.:)
Tuna fishing sounds freakin awsesome, well other than the potential of 2 days at sea. The commercial guys must get used to it pretty quickly, I think they may spend days or weeks out there.

Back