Tuna off WCVI - who's done it

TenMile

I've spent way too much time today daydreaming about fishing and reading the forum. There are some excellent posts on Tuna fishing on the board. I'm interested in who has done it.

I am somewhat new to boating out here in the west and have only been as far as Renfrew in my own boat. As I understand it, to find Tuna, you have to hit the 60 degree water which can be 10-30 miles off shore (or more) in the summer. A tuna hunting trip is a dream-trip of mine, but I have no idea what to expect from the waters out that far. Of course, we are always subject to a good blow-up out there but would like to hear from guys that might have taken their own sporty boats out for Tuna in the summer.

What are the conditions like out that far in our waters. Is a 19' Striper enough boat or is that a trip better suited to a bigger boat?

I haven't fished tuna here in BC but in California. It is a lot of fun if you know how but it also requires traveling long distance once you are out on the grounds. A 19' boat will look awefully small out there but I am not saying that on a calm day it could not be done in it. But you will need extra tanks because you will troll for hours out there at a speed higher than yur kicker will normally provide. So you need to figure out how much gas you need to go let's say 50 km out, go 5 hours at 20 km/h speed, and then 50 km back home. I probably wouldn't even do it unless I had two main engines... Then a flying bridge to look from a better angle onto the water would be prefered to locate hot spots. Then you need proper gear... It's a whole different thing. But fun, I admit. Would like to know if any local charters offer tuna trips.

Fuel is an interesting consideration. The Striper has a pretty big fuel tank as it holds 62 gallons (234 litres). I think the typical duty cycle for the F115 engine I have is about 3Gph so I should be able to run about 20 hours on a tank -- will have to verify that fuel consumption on my next tank and see how much fuel I use over several hours.

I believe IronNoggin had a few run ins with tuna last year off shore of Ucluelet.

Those Albacore tuna are some fine eating off the BBQ, I can assure you of that.

Ironnogin chased em outta ucluelet last summer.Did well too.I suggest you get in touch with him or kenny meyers of fishmeister charters.
Brad

I have only done it a few times myself but I plan on making a few more exploratory trips for tuna again this year.
A few things to consider when trying to tackle this type of fishery.
Make sure your insurance company has you covered to go 30-40 miles from any land...most have clauses...
The second is defineatly fuel and engine reliability.
If you head out that far by yourself you had better have two engines, even if one is just a kicker.
the third thing is to let someone know a gps coordinate of where you might be headed.
the rest is actually pretty easy except actually catching the bullets...they can be extremely hard to find sometimes with just one boat....trial and error and lot's of fuel!

Gordon out of Pedder Bay does it all summer from Pedder in a 27 Albermarle. He has twin 350 mercruisers and takes 4 guys for two nights. He sure knows his stuff. 59 deg. sea temp july 29th 40 miles offshore from Bigbank is where it starts. Great guy and more than happy to chat about the details.Swears by the Avet reels for hali and tuna. I may join him this year on a trip as he has trouble getting guys to commit to two days off offshore weather.!

jeesuz, he spends 2 nights 40+ miles offshore in a 27' boat? I gotta say that is a bit nuts, but if the weather holds and you're prepared why not eh.

2 nights and 40+ miles off shore? I'm scared thinking about it.Who's up looking for freighters?

If you want to run shorter distances you are best to come down to the Washington or Oregon. We had them as close as 10 miles last year. It's probably sacrilege for most of you on this site to fish in the states but the tuna fishing is great. Then I could ***** about those damn Canadians stealing our tuna. :D

We ran out around the top end of the Island last year just for a few day trips...mostly exploratory...with mixed results...
After talking to alot of the commercial boy's later in the fall...I now have a bit more local knowledge and found out that they actually came in pretty close last year.
I heard of some guy's getting them inside 10 miles off winter harbour side.
The Avet real statement is dead on...the best reels in that range.

I think that is why he said 4 guys, two on watch 4-6 hr shifts, alarm zone set on radar etc. He said one on watch will fall asleep. Same as the commercial boyz, drop the Drouge (sea anchor) and drift the night away. This guy is set up with a small honda genset as well to keep lit up and charged. Very picky fella, changes the MPI 5.7's with shaft drive out with brand new crates at 500 hrs no matter what.

Great guy to BS with at Pedder, lots of Knowledge about the tuna.

I think a day trip out of Uci in late August would be cool in Reel addictions Bertram:D

I agree with an earlier post, come on down to Oregon and get some of that hospitality back. I run a 22' North River Seahawk and I've been out 40 miles on a VERY nice day. As stated earlier, lots of new guys like me ran over the fish thinking you had to go far. But I watch the weather and I mean an improving forecast for two days after, and backup everything (VHF, PLB, GPS and float suits).

Check out the Oregon Tuna Classic, it would be great to have some International flavor that event. The proceeds go to a food bank. Google up the site to look into it.

Lots of information on IFish.net on the Salty dogs board.

Port Hardy in 07-08

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

I've spent way too much time today daydreaming about fishing and reading the forum. There are some excellent posts on Tuna fishing on the board. I'm interested in who has done it.

What are the conditions like out that far in our waters. Is a 19' Striper enough boat or is that a trip better suited to a bigger boat?

I went out on a Tuna trip last August out of Tahsis. I was with Bob Franko from California, and he is a Tuna hunting expert.

We went out about 22 miles off the beach. There is a sharp drop off from about 800' to 1600' near where we were fishing. We had three lines in the water and hit a double-header within 5 minutes of putting the gear in the water.

It was pretty rough that day and I remember having to hang on to the boat with one hand while playing the fish with the other!

Basic Tuna gear would be Shimano TDL-25 reel with a good stiff rod or about 6' or so. Load it with 50# Mono and tie your lure directly to the main line. Mark your lines with a small rubber band so that you can free-spool your line out to a specific point behind the boat. We had two side rods and one stern rod. Keep your rods low and close to the water. Troll at 7 knots. When a fish hits one of the lines, let it hang, and keep moving for another 6 to 10 seconds while making a turn - good chance you will get multiple hookups! Slow to an idle and clear any rods that don't have a fish. Then play your fish with the boat out of gear.

Check the photo of that day here:
http://www.jimsfishing.com/photo_gallery.htm
First photo.

Tuna fishing is a lot of fun, but it is also expensive to set up for. You need good reels and rods, and salmon gear won't cut it on a regular basis. If you think Salmon can make a reel scream, wait til you hit your first Tuna!

Water temperature is critical. You need to know where the warm water is. To do that you need to subscribe to one of the websites that gives satelite data of water temps. Driving aimlessly 20 or 30 miles off-shore won't do it. You need lat & long for where it is and once there, start your search.

Back