Tuna off WCVI - who's done it

One thing I'd like to point out since the majority of us are fairly new to this fishery is something you won't find much anymore.....guy's working together and sharing secrets.
This fishery is actually alot easier and safer when more boats work together.
Could this be our new saving grace in the guide business...just a thought!
I can honestly say that it is a real pleasure to see a new fishery come around where everyone is all on the same page...looks good on all of us...and I for one thank everyone for sharing what they can.

Will do CS, from my experience the warm water doesn't drift this far north until at least July, better in Aug or even Sept. Unless it's a El Nino year then could be earlier.

I have never fished for Tuna but I did do a little bit of research on the topic last year just in case I get brave enough to venture out..... I note that no one has made mention of what to do once you catch one. Tuna can be susceptible to Histamine poisoning if not handled properly after being caught. Apparently it is essential that they be chilled immediately or their body temperature continues to rise. Any feedback on what to do once you catch them would be great. SS

They should be bonked & bled asap, a knife just behind the pectoral fin will bleed them instantly. Should have a bleed bucket (garbage can) then on to the ice. The more they thrash on deck the higher thier internal temp will become, can get into the 90's F real fast. You have to handle them right...

Bear in mind that for guiding to tuna, as soon as you are 25 miles out, you are no longer TC Compliant. I have talked to Boris, there is no provision for a passenger vessel of any size to be more then 25 miles from shore. So for up island where they come close, great, but guiding to them legally is not going to happen sound of Nootka unless they come closer.

I longingly read some of the boards down in the US, where offshore seems to be very common. The fish they bring in are amazing. I had recently been thinking about what offshore opportunities there were here, as I have been contemplating what size of boat to get. So this post is well timed, and very exciting.

Question, when you are out that far, are you still in Canadian waters, or are you in international waters?

Who regulates the fishery? ie. What are the limits, fish size requirements etc. Is this on the fisheries website?

Fun stuff.

Cheers.

ICE ICE ICE!!!!

I can't stress enough the crazy amount of ice this fishing takes. If your fishing tuna then your in water that is ~60 degrees., thos fish run hot so their core temps are probably closer to 70!! My boat is plugged at 20 fish so I carry about 200-300 lbs of ice per trip. You got to figure about 10lbs of ice at least per fish. Last year I went out with gust 175lbs and we plugged the boat and ran short of ice on the way back in.

Proper care of these fish is critical. I don't gaff them I leader them over the side and brain spike them with a screwdriver or pliers. This stops the thrashing, then its into the slush tank and a quick cut of the gills or lateral line on the way to get them bled. As soon as I have time I gut them:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=60359&highlight=gut+tuna

This helps save ice and chills them quicker.

Down south we use what is called a slush tank. For this I use a kitchen garbage can wrapped with some foam insulation. I put a 5lb block of ice in the bottom and 2-3 7lb bags of cubes so that the can is about 3/4 full of just ice. I then add sea water to the level of the ice and next year I'll even through in some rocksalt. This makes a slush that is way below freezing and helps cool the fish quick. It also helps conserve your pack ice for the ride home.:D

Then the fun starts...[xx(]

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=159969&highlight=gut+tuna

Lots of other great info on the salty dogs board!

http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Get in touch with us and come on down were always looking for a few good crew!!

GRIFF

Griff
That is an awesome pictorial
Lots of good info there

Hey Griff, absolutely outstanding post, thanks! I was afraid that not enough was being said about how to care for the fish once you catch them so I raised the topic ealier because it was my understanding great care has to be given with these critters. Thanks for taking the time to share! :D SS

No problem! Its fun to share :D

Just be warned this tuna thing is HIGHLY addictive! You will likely forget salmon completely and spend most days checking the sea surface temps, manufacturing tuna tackle, purchasing and marinating ridiculously expensive reels, rods and boats!!! I accept no responsibility for strained relations with the opposite sex. :D

Heres some more info on fish care:
http://www.ifish.net/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868&d=1184175554

GRIFF

quote:Originally posted by chris73

TenMile;

The pub meeting idea sounds good. I am in.

We have similar meetings in Oregon for the Tunaholics.

You might think about founding the BC TA chapter!!!

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

Then I could ***** about those damn Canadians stealing our tuna. :D

HAHAHA good one
Ya but we'd just be bringing em' back from where they came from.

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Who regulates the fishery? ie. What are the limits, fish size requirements etc. Is this on the fisheries website?

Don't stop killing till all the ice is used up!
Limit free:D

Thats the right attitude, kill em all... no salmon=tuna, no tuna= ?? dogfish fishery ?

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

DFO regulates it.
Limit is 15 Tuna per person - comes under "Other Fish, not listed" or something like that. No size limits. They don't realy release well unless they fall off the hook.

I've fished a lot of Tuna in my life there's some good info here and as mentioned the Ifish.net site is a treasure house of west coast info.

If I could add one thing it would be 'never ever run over a school of Tuna, any kind of Tuna</u>'.

Tuna can be incredibly boat shy animals and guys in BC are in a difficult situation because on their anti-clockwise migration Albies off WCVI have often been pounded by fishing pressure further south.

It only takes a few commercial trollers plucking dozens of fish out of a school to put them down and once they go down they can stay down for a long time.

The solution to not breaking up schools is to run your gear way the hell behind the boat and swing your lures through a breaking school on the turn.

Works like a charm even in a place like Fiji where the water is as clear as the air between your face and your computer monitor.

We alway chumed once we got into the fish in CA and back east is the legal in BC? It worked great keeping the school around the boat.

Whether the limit is 15 or 20 that is A LOT!! I came home with 10 fish from a trip last year which yielded ~150lbs of lions (pure meat). It took quite a while to process. I am still having tuna mac and cheese! :D Please just take what you need, ten fish covers my needs for a whole year.

GRIFF

PS go on ebay and buy a BIG pressure cooker!

quote:Originally posted by GRIFF

I came home with 10 fish from a trip last year which yielded ~150lbs of lions (pure meat).
I always thought lions were a lot heavier than 150 pounds :D Ok I know its bad form to tease about spelling mistakes, but that one was a good one.

Cheers

Back