Winter Harbour 2 weeks in August

Umos

Last summer we spent a week in late August fishing Winter Harbour and we loved it, but we had no problem getting offshore every day. I am now planning on booking two weeks there, first with the family starting Aug 12, then a week with mates starting Aug 19th. With the guys I am hoping to get out for Tuna for the first time.

So, my question for you fine folks is how is winter harbour when the wind blows up late August, is the fishing on the inside ok then? I know it doesn't have nearly the options of Barkley or Nootka, but is it just lame there then if you can't get off shore? We didn't fish the inside at all last year, so looking for input. My boat is an Alumaweld 22' plus with new power, radar etc.

Cheers

Typically it’s a NW that increases during the day. If it’s snotty, you can fish Kains and hide. A rip across to Cliffe is okay but can be a grunt on the way back in. There are bottom fish inside but just not as bountiful. That time in August, there’ll be fish poking inside and returning to the local systems. You’d have to read the regs/notices for the inside retention limits. A big SE there is awful. Can’t really hide anywhere so best to stay on land go explore the area.

Thanks N2013. Got the lodging booked for 12 nights, first 6 with wife and kids, then 6 w the mates. Nice to hear there is at least some fishing on the inside, if we can't get out. Hoping for a tuna trip, and would also like to just check out the Cape Scott area to see what the halibut are doing there. Anyway, feels good to just get trips lined up

With a 2 - 6 days groups, I'd say you don't need to push it too much if the weather is snotty. Shouldn't be too hard to come home with some heavy coolers. As far as tuna goes, I'd reach out to folks at the docks and see if anyone is planning on running out for tuna and make sure they are within range for you and if you can tag along with the fleet. A trip up north to the tip would be cool as would a trip down to Solander. What a a dream, 12 days.

I will be in Winter Harbour from June to September.
I have a Hewescraft 25 Alaskan (White Dragon).
WE will be fishing Tuna any days in August and early September that the weather allows.
The 2 weeks you are there should be great for tuna but a little late for springs.
There should be lots of Coho on the inside where you can keep wild fish.
White Dragon will be docked at the Outpost.
We will be in a Cougar trailer at the top of the hill in the Outpost campground
Would be happy to have another boat on any tuna trip.
Ask for Al (aka Tuna Al) or Joleen Wilson

Last edited:
Back