Connecting Cable to Mono on Downrigger

If you're dead set on cable and mono, protect your crimped cable loop with thin tubing, then weave your mono through that loop so it becomes a double (or triple) loop before crimping the mono.
Btw, if you are using cable, you could just use the plastic stops on the cable to stop the downrigger or for stacking and a very short piece of mono, gangen, or a rubber snubber that doesn't ever go through the pulley.

use cable on your downriggers
Braid is just a fad
Yes boredom has set in. Trying to rile the boys up? To each his own but.... I don't personally know anyone who still uses wire and I very rarely see it on boats around the docks where I fish. Usually a newbie that got it when they bought thier riggers or on old derelict boats half full of water being held up by thier dock lines.

Yes boredom has set in. Trying to rile the boys up? To each his own but.... I don't personally know anyone who still uses wire and I very rarely see it on boats around the docks where I fish. Usually a newbie that got it when they bought thier riggers or on old derelict boats half full of water being held up by thier dock lines.
Keep looking, many still use cable. Are there still commercial trollers? What do they use?

I know this is a hot topic.
Having a little fun while waiting for my fishing season to start. Lot of people seem to like wire.
The earth may actually be flat and Trump could be a great guy as well.

A bunch of us old guides still use wire

My boat fished way better with wire than braid. I will likely switch back to wire next time the braid needs replacing. Its that pronounced a difference.

CR Greg

have you ever had issues of the cable cutting through the gangion ?

UNQUOTE

The gangion I use is 150 lb test. I double it over on itself when I loop it to stainless cable. The crimps seem to get beat up and require replacement long before the gangion. The line is tough and very durable and resists abrasion

loop to loop 150lb braid to 300lbs kevlar braid why would you want to use a swivel that knocks **** out of the pulley
IMG_2009.JPG

The braid navy likes firing shots. The wire guys keep quiet because they catch most of the fish.

Back