Tuna off WCVI - who's done it

quote:Originally posted by wish4fish

I think the daily limit is 20 per person. I wonder if we could get that 25 mile rule changed so we could start doing charters for tuna legitimately with the TC regs that we have to follow? Anybody know what the reason is behind that 25mile rule?

Not sure why that rule is in place, but you have to watch your boat insurance as well. I was looking at getting a new policy and there is a statement that you are to remain within 20 Nautical Miles from shore for coverage to be in effect. I'm sure it has to do with risk and what they perceive the type of boating you are doing if you are beyond 20 miles.

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by GRIFF

I came home with 10 fish from a trip last year which yielded ~150lbs of lions (pure meat).
I always thought lions were a lot heavier than 150 pounds :D Ok I know its bad form to tease about spelling mistakes, but that one was a good one.

Cheers

OOPS! [:0]

Also, that is a good point tenmile. One thing that is really emphasized down here is the safety of numbers and making sure you have all of the proper equipment and then some. For the cost of an MR3 you can get an EPIRB rescue beacon... cheap life insurance.

for the Tuna guys, whats the deal with the Canyons - do guys mention these as a simple way to describe the area they are fishing or do they create upwellings or currents that are favorable to Tuna?

Hi Jim... wouldn't want to share the lat - long, would you? Plan on being there first week of Aug and wouldn't mind company 20 miles out!
Charlie

Hi Jim... wouldn't want to share the lat - long, would you? Plan on being there first week of Aug and wouldn't mind company 20 miles out!
Charlie

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Charlie

Sorry, don't know the Lat & Long off the top of my head. Is is on the GPS on the boat.

The key to finding Tuna however is not the exact location - it is the temperature breaks in the water.

To find this, you need a subscription to one of the websites that gives out daily satelite shots with that info. They could be 20 miles out one day, and 50 the next. Or they could be 2 miles out.

I understand that Westview Marina will have satelite temp info this year.

One thing that we did was run until we had clear, blue water beneath the boat - you can see a change. It was about 22 miles off the beach and the depth dropped from 800' to 1600' over about a mile or so. Look for tightly spaced depth contures on the chart.

2007-aug23-15-tuna-650.jpg

If you hit it right, this is what can happen! [8D]

Charlie

Sorry, don't know the Lat & Long off the top of my head. Is is on the GPS on the boat.

The key to finding Tuna however is not the exact location - it is the temperature breaks in the water.

To find this, you need a subscription to one of the websites that gives out daily satelite shots with that info. They could be 20 miles out one day, and 50 the next. Or they could be 2 miles out.

I understand that Westview Marina will have satelite temp info this year.

One thing that we did was run until we had clear, blue water beneath the boat - you can see a change. It was about 22 miles off the beach and the depth dropped from 800' to 1600' over about a mile or so. Look for tightly spaced depth contures on the chart.

2007-aug23-15-tuna-650.jpg

If you hit it right, this is what can happen! [8D]

I've decided to give this a go in the summer. I'm going to book a stay out around Nootka/Tahsis area for either the 2nd or 3rd week of August for 2-3 nights. If the conditions are right, might just give it a whirl off the coast.

If there are any other takers, maybe we can put together a flotilla. If the weather or ocean temps do not cooperate, well, it's 3 days of Salmon and Hali fishing, so no real downside.

I will post the dates and location of my stay once I book it to see if there are others coming up at that time.

Any recommendations for a good lodge closer to the fishing grounds would be appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

Any recommendations for a good lodge closer to the fishing grounds would be appreciated.
Check Rodger's Tyee Camp if they're still operating. They are located at Port Alisa near the outside. They run a "bring your own boat" and fully guided program.

I will be there on July 29th through August 4th (Boston Whaler 295 Conquest)! My boat will be staying at Nuchatlitz and I have two other friends with boats staying at Rodgers. We are talking about running out and trying some of this.

Anyone else want to run off shore and try this with us?
Charlie

I will be there on July 29th through August 4th (Boston Whaler 295 Conquest)! My boat will be staying at Nuchatlitz and I have two other friends with boats staying at Rodgers. We are talking about running out and trying some of this.

Anyone else want to run off shore and try this with us?
Charlie

That might be a little early for chasing Tuna up here.

It looks like the trend right now is for cooler water. You need warmer water around 60-62 degrees F. If you note the date on my photo above, it is August 23rd. and we were having lots of warm water push up from down south.

Good luck!

I was wondering when I would start hearing of a tuna fishery off WCVI. I am in the Navy and first discovered Tuna by fluke last year while doing manouvers off of tofino, We were sitting about 5-10 miles off the coast and it was one of those flat calm worm fog evenings. Suddenly the water came alive around the ship and I assumed we were in a school of coho so I grabbed my rod and through out a silver and red lure and skipped it along the surface as the ship had slowly started to move off. Within seconds I had a hell of a strike that burnt my palm. Unfortunitly the ship was getting underway so I cranked it in as hard as I could and just before the line snapped I saw it break the surface. There was no mistaking the pointed nose and protruding fins. I think with the worming waters this fishery is going to get steadily better and tuna are going to start comming closer to shore more often. You guide fellas are smart to start gaining experience now as we can all see the righting on the wall for the unfortunite dwindeling salmon stocks. You guys gotta make a living too and I saw go for it. Put me down for a trip when you get up and running. Cheers

Back