TRIP UPDATE! Looking For Suggestions For a Weekend Getaway in Victoria

All Gr8 suggestions , If your treating yourselves I'd consider staying at the Brentwood Resort ( or on the Saanich Peninsula ) , do Butchart's , Butterfly world , Prairie Inn for breakfast or lunch , and do a day trip or 2 from there to Victoria for the Tourist aspect . IL Terrazzo is one of our go to s if in town , if you stay in Vic. you might feel like you never left the big smoke!(these days anyway) More relaxing IMHO ! Best Regards:)

Hey folks,

Planning on being a tourist Downtown for a weekend in April. Looking for recommendations on where to stay, what to do, things to see. Haven't been since I was a kid. I'll be with the wife and a 3 year old.

Appreciate your input!

Thanks for starting this thread! Just booked a room at the hotel grande pacific and dinner reservations at IL Terrazo for my wife's birthday at the end of the month.

We took the kids to Victoria on Family Day weekend last month. We stayed at the Marriott; the kids loved the pool and hot tub - spent most of our time there! Easy walk to sights, harbour, museum, miniature world. A bit pricey but my wife was happy, and so were the kids.

Just a couple more restaurants in Victoria. Pagliaccis and John's place. If you want to go for a drive out of town Mychosen Cafe is good. They have a little mini farm for kids set up outside as well.

I would recommend if you can checking out some of sites out of town. They aren't that far driving distance. If you want to check out coast a bit Sooke isn't that far and has some nice places. East Sooke Park is really nice of you haven't been there....

There is also the lagoon as well which is just a turn off in Colwood.

Nautical Nellies , beef dip sandwich , the best you will ever have.
Cenote on Yates - local hang out , great fish tacos , mushroom pasta , nachos . Cheap drinks!
Wind Cries Mary- best current restaurant in downtown.
Ferris’s Oyster Bar -on lower Yates. Great food , kid friendly. Saltspring mussels in Thai curry!
Q lounge at the Empress - great spot for a nightcap.
Fisherman’s Wharf -Barbs fish and chips , Jackson Ice cream.
Chinatown- Fan tan alley, great restaurant on north side of fisgard ( can’t remember the name , has ducks in the window) best duck and wonton soup. ( have to ask for it)
Old Great standards
-Blue Fox (breakfast)
-Pagliaccis ( lineups)
-John’s Place (breakfast)
-Ill terrazzo ( need reservations)
- red fish , blue fish ( takeout lunch)
-Irish times , or Bard and Banker. Kid friendly pubs. ( start em young!)
-Ten Acres great food and drink, kid friendly

Butchart Gardens is a little barren at this time of the year. Check out Abkhazi Gardens close to downtown and is small enough to do in 40 minutes.

Government st shopping. Rogers chocolates , Robertas Hats , Monro Books. Lots of good shopping .

Oak Bay Village and Cook st Village are worth a visit.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Planning on being a tourist Downtown for a weekend in April. Looking for recommendations on where to stay, what to do, things to see. Haven't been since I was a kid. I'll be with the wife and a 3 year old.

Appreciate your input!
A 3 year old might appreciate the petting zoo at Beaconhill Park. https://beaconhillchildrensfarm.ca/

I notice some of the suggestions are more appropriate for older kids, but the Bug Zoo is cool if they like bugs.
Fisherman's Wharf for fish & chips and look at the seals, and there's a kid's park nearby.

Good luck!

Botanical Beach gardens are truly amazing . Super cool tidal pools full of interesting things for 3 yr olds and adults! Lol. Past Sooke , about 2 hrs from Vic. The Ghostly Walk tours in Victoria are really fun! My wife and I have gone twice now. Learned alot about Vic's creepy past!

Anyone ever stay at the Magnolia?
Very clean botique hotel. Stayed there for business a few times. Pretty central to everything in downtown. Not much of harbour view and no swimming pool.
Nothing beats the pool at the Grand Pacific. Your daughter would love it. Parkside is another good one for families. Short walk to the harbour and all the good eateries that beemer has listed for you! Man, you need a week to check those out. :D

Very clean botique hotel. Stayed there for business a few times. Pretty central to everything in downtown. Not much of harbour view and no swimming pool.
Nothing beats the pool at the Grand Pacific. Your daughter would love it. Parkside is another good one for families. Short walk to the harbour and all the good eateries that beemer has listed for you! Man, you need a week to check those out. :D
My wife was just saying that. We'll have to do more trips to Vic it sounds like!

Hey RC: if you’re looking for a good lunch on a nice day, Jones BBQ at 1725 Cook St. has the best brisket sandwich and the best fries in Victoria.
Cheers!
T2

I have never been to Jones BBQ but I have a buddy that talks it up any chance he gets. He says it’s fantastic!!

Back