Looking For Any Kind Of Bamfield Info!

Rain City

Crew Member
This trip is damn-near upon me. Leaving Friday and I'm there for two weeks. Week one is all about fishing and week two is some exploring, foraging and beach time with the family. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I'll be bringing some prawn and crab traps for dinners. My wife will definitely want to do some clam digging and oyster picking. Might spend a night or two on the hook. I don't know where a single spot is as of now. Rats nose? The wall? Lighthouse? No idea. I'm as green as green can be. I'll be there with just one buddy for the first week so there'd be room for a tag along if someone is looking to get out for a day and wants to trade info for a ride out. I don't have a hali anchor set-up but I could piece one together easy enough. I've never done it so I wasn't really wanting to try it for the first time out there unless I had some help. Figured I'd mostly troll/drift for Hali when I can. I only have the double rod holder bases for my riggers so not the best rod holder set-up either, maybe I'll add a couple on the rails. Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

This trip is damn-near upon me. Leaving Friday and I'm there for two weeks. Week one is all about fishing and week two is some exploring, foraging and beach time with the family. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I'll be bringing some prawn and crab traps for dinners. My wife will definitely want to do some clam digging and oyster picking. Might spend a night or two on the hook. I don't know where a single spot is as of now. Rats nose? The wall? Lighthouse? No idea. I'm as green as green can be. I'll be there with just one buddy for the first week so there'd be room for a tag along if someone is looking to get out for a day and wants to trade info for a ride out. I don't have a hali anchor set-up but I could piece one together easy enough. I've never done it so I wasn't really wanting to try it for the first time out there unless I had some help. Figured I'd mostly troll/drift for Hali when I can. I only have the double rod holder bases for my riggers so not the best rod holder set-up either, maybe I'll add a couple on the rails. Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.
For fishing don't bother anchoring, you'll do fine drifting for bottom dwellers. Beware of the swells especially around Cape Beal. But Cape Beal is good for springs just watch out for the rocks with the swell. Keaha Beach is nice hike as well as the hike to the lighthouse. Lightkeepers are super friendly and will welcome you. talk to the locals and see what is up. I've only been there a couple times, but it will be memorable for you. Good luck!

I know your in van, maybe it’s time to meet up again lol, I meet you at the boat show parking lot a few years back, I would be happy to share what I know about that area , I been there a few times lol, is your boat in the water??? I can come over and give you all the gps coordinates you will ever need for that area. Pm me if you want. Again the anchor thing is a preference I think, I never anchor and always get my Hali, sometimes I have to bounce around a bit but get my fish

Last edited:
do the walk to brady’s beach when your family shows up. it’s a short chill hike behind Bamfield to a gorgeous beach. right in front of brady’s people set crab traps and salmon fish as well for that matter

Check out salmon University for Barkley sound. Lots of spots listed there.

Brady Beach is a must with the family. Great way to spend the afternoon.

Get on your navonics and familiarize yourself with the area. Popular spots are the wall( just out side harbour), swale, harbour entrance, Effingham, Cree island, Kirby pt, Sanford, whittle stone, cape beale and keeha Beach.

These should get you started and you'll see boats everywhere in between.

I'll be there July 24-28 if you want to share intell or stop by for a beer.

stay in touch when you are there.. i have charters everyday but dont mind communicating.. my buddies in 2 different boats just got home, 4 in each boat . they filled there hali quota in one morning in 2 hours doing a drift close to the nose.. the group i have next weekend might stay inshore if the swell is up. we shall sea!!

Pretty sure these have been posted before on here but doesn’t hurt to refresh them for us once an a while. Pretty handy little maps.

Attachments

• 5211CABD-45B8-4D00-B531-DF22A4E8A071.png
    5211CABD-45B8-4D00-B531-DF22A4E8A071.png
    778.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 1ACC7550-E93F-4867-B679-791F5F565352.jpeg
    1ACC7550-E93F-4867-B679-791F5F565352.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 310
stay in touch when you are there.. i have charters everyday but dont mind communicating.. my buddies in 2 different boats just got home, 4 in each boat . they filled there hali quota in one morning in 2 hours doing a drift close to the nose.. the group i have next weekend might stay inshore if the swell is up. we shall sea!!
@Rain City , there you go a local pro to help out, if I where you I would take this offer, Barkley sound is a big area to fish and local day to day info shouldn’t be passed up, jump on this one

I know your in van, maybe it’s time to meet up again lol, I meet you at the boat show parking lot a few years back, I would be happy to share what I know about that area , I been there a few times lol, is your boat in the water??? I can come over and give you all the gps coordinates you will ever need for that area. Pm me if you want. Again the anchor thing is a preference I think, I never anchor and always get my Hali, sometimes I have to bounce around a bit but get my fish
Awesome man thanks! I'll probably be down there late every day this week getting things ready. Boats at Burrard Civic. I remember that parking lot meeting lol. I remember feeling like "oh shoot, maybe I've gone too far with this forum!" ;)

Check out salmon University for Barkley sound. Lots of spots listed there.

Brady Beach is a must with the family. Great way to spend the afternoon.

Get on your navonics and familiarize yourself with the area. Popular spots are the wall( just out side harbour), swale, harbour entrance, Effingham, Cree island, Kirby pt, Sanford, whittle stone, cape beale and keeha Beach.

These should get you started and you'll see boats everywhere in between.

I'll be there July 24-28 if you want to share intell or stop by for a beer.
Boom. Definitely, let's.

Awesome man that would be great!

I'm headed up Friday also. Probably off victoria around 0730 to catch the max ebb at Race pass. Hopefully the weather cooperates. First stop...... area 21.

Most of my favourite locations and tricks have been covered here already. Here are a couple more worth considering:
- family and beach time, one of my faves is Dodger Channel (Between Diana Isl and Haines Isl) or a couple small beaches on NW and W side of Fleming Isl.
- One of the fave spots for fishing is Kirby Pt, on Diana. Can get fairly close to rocks and work the kelp a bit, once you get familiar with the little shelf there. Depending on fish holding and tides, and on a calmer day, this spot can be amazing on many levels.
- I often enjoy the tack from Whittlestone light up through the bay (again, pretty gentle and sandy bottom), and then up towards Beale.
- Have friends that routinely pick up halibut in this area by back-trolling in the 60-80 ft zone, too.
- if you are off the boat for a day, Pachena Bay is another great spot to check out.

Please reconsider the oysters and clams if DFO isn’t testing in that area.
ive had to rush a handful of people to emergency in Tofino over the years with the numb mouth prelude to PSP

Please reconsider the oysters and clams if DFO isn’t testing in that area.
ive had to rush a handful of people to emergency in Tofino over the years with the numb mouth prelude to PSP
Would Tofino be far worse for toxins in the water though? Or is that a crazy thought?

Back