Chasing Pinks in Indian Arm - Guidance Please

-Jim-

Hi Gents,

As I posted elsewhere, one of my buddies who bought a Hewes Sea Runner 201 HT a couple years back wants to go chasing some Pinks up Indian Arm in a few weeks. This is the first Salmon fishing from his boat (OMG!), so I thought I'd ask for your input on what gear to use for this somewhat unique (at least for us) fishing adventure to make it a success.

Even though I've been fishing in the Pacific Northwest since I was a kid with my Grandfather ages ago in a cartopper by Hole-in the-Wall (near Horseshoe Bay) I've never targeted Pinks. I've fished all around Vancouver Island, Gold River, the Sunshine Coast, Millbank Sound, the West Coast up to the US border past Prince Rupert, the Charlottes, Langara Island, etc. and have caught Pinks, but we always tossed them back as a nuisance, or in some cases up north, used parts of them for Halibut bait. (They make good Halibut Bait!) Ages ago we used to fish cut plug for Springs, and had to drop them quickly to get passed the Pinks (and sometimes Cohos) to get a shot at some "real" salmon. I know those days are long gone, but my memories of them remain strong.

Anyway, to my limited knowledge Salmon Fishing in Indian Arm (or should I say Salmon catching) it is virtually non-existent except for the odd year Pink runs. Please comment if I've got this wrong. I was thinking we'd troll for Pinks. I've heard stories of guys using 8 weight Fly setups, but we don't have the gear for that - even though it sounds like a hoot.

I've been trying to convince my friend for years to go beyond Lions Gate as they dock their boat in Bedwell Bay, but his wife is scared for him (or them) to go under the bridges. I got him to take the Power Squadron course to get comfortable and safely into boating. (I went as well even though I've been boating for 60 years but it was a good refresher). I've done the trip under the bridges numerous times, and it's a non-issue if you follow the basics. Anyway, he's now up for that as well, as long as we come and go at slack (or near slack) tide. (Baby steps...) So that would be another post. I mention it here as we may get that done before this trip which is scheduled for September 5th.

My friend's adult son, (whose' never been salmon fishing) will be there, and possibly another friend (who is very competent) as well. I couldn't get my Buddy to go for the rear helm control when he bought his Huey, so it could be a bit more of a challenge fishing without it. I bought a couple of electric Scotty Downriggers off another buddy who was upgrading, and have installed them on the Huey. I also bought a selection of weights for them. But I don't yet have the release clips for them.

Is it advisable to use downriggers when fishing Pinks in Indian Arm? Do you use Flashers? Hoochies or Spoons? Pink Bucktail Flies? Please give me your best suggestions as I really want my Buddy and his son to have a great time and find out how much fun salmon fishing can be. But the need will be to catch Fish!

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Hi Gents,

As I posted elsewhere, one of my buddies who bought a Hewes Sea Runner 201 HT a couple years back wants to go chasing some Pinks up Indian Arm in a few weeks. This is the first Salmon fishing from his boat (OMG!), so I thought I'd ask for your input on what gear to use for this somewhat unique (at least for us) fishing adventure to make it a success.

Even though I've been fishing in the Pacific Northwest since I was a kid with my Grandfather ages ago in a cartopper by Hole-in the-Wall (near Horseshoe Bay) I've never targeted Pinks. I've fished all around Vancouver Island, Gold River, the Sunshine Coast, Millbank Sound, the West Coast up to the US border past Prince Rupert, the Charlottes, Langara Island, etc. and have caught Pinks, but we always tossed them back as a nuisance, or in some cases up north, used parts of them for Halibut bait. (They make good Halibut Bait!) Ages ago we used to fish cut plug for Springs, and had to drop them quickly to get passed the Pinks (and sometimes Cohos) to get a shot at some "real" salmon. I know those days are long gone, but my memories of them remain strong.

Anyway, to my limited knowledge Salmon Fishing in Indian Arm (or should I say Salmon catching) it is virtually non-existent except for the odd year Pink runs. Please comment if I've got this wrong. I was thinking we'd troll for Pinks. I've heard stories of guys using 8 weight Fly setups, but we don't have the gear for that - even though it sounds like a hoot.

I've been trying to convince my friend for years to go beyond Lions Gate as they dock their boat in Bedwell Bay, but his wife is scared for him (or them) to go under the bridges. I got him to take the Power Squadron course to get comfortable and safely into boating. (I went as well even though I've been boating for 60 years but it was a good refresher). I've done the trip under the bridges numerous times, and it's a non-issue if you follow the basics. Anyway, he's now up for that as well, as long as we come and go at slack (or near slack) tide. (Baby steps...) So that would be another post. I mention it here as we may get that done before this trip which is scheduled for September 5th.

My friend's adult son, (whose' never been salmon fishing) will be there, and possibly another friend (who is very competent) as well. I couldn't get my Buddy to go for the rear helm control when he bought his Huey, so it could be a bit more of a challenge fishing without it. I bought a couple of electric Scotty Downriggers off another buddy who was upgrading, and have installed them on the Huey. I also bought a selection of weights for them. But I don't yet have the release clips for them.

Is it advisable to use downriggers when fishing Pinks in Indian Arm? Do you use Flashers? Hoochies or Spoons? Pink Bucktail Flies? Please give me your best suggestions as I really want my Buddy and his son to have a great time and find out how much fun salmon fishing can be. But the need will be to catch Fish!

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Buzz bombs spoons or cast flies are the way to go , just be sure to check regulations as most of Indian arm is RCA ,Bishops creek used to prime spot but is now in middle of RCA, Bedwell bay can be very good if there is a healthy run .most of Indian river pinks are gone due to fish farms and I think hey tend to follow the leader up to the Squamish

Thanks for the input Gents. Sounds like trolling for Pinks isn't the preferred method here.

get a cheap dipsy diver and throw it out the back with a pink squirt. it should produce results.

I just went out today with my wife, mother in law and a few other newbies off the victoria waterfront. fish were everywhere and we limited out (for 5 people) in less then 2 hours.

If they want to try somewhere safe they could trailer to howe sound (launch at porteau cove) avoiding the more open area of the streights. The pinks should be off fury creek and even squamish. That would be a short run from porteau cove boat launch could go off there and cost, troll, or use a diver.

I got my first bc pinks off a kayak with small buzz bombs in fury creek years ago

I’ve never tried up there but in Sept 2021 I went for a cruise to the end of the Arm at the mouth of the river, and there was a ton of pink carcasses in the shallows right at the mouth. So there must be a decent run anyways. If I was going to try I’d bring gear to cast for them and troll… typical pink gear: pink squirts, shorter leader, small white flasher (look up humpy special). And any sort of pink/silver spinner to cast for them.

I myself troll for them, pink squirt behind a flasher. The little ones had a great time catching them, and enjoyed on the bbq after.
Mike

I’ve heard the pinks are in the Indian river already. Might go take a look and see if I can find some

A week ago today, we went for a short Cruise on Indian Arm in my Buddy's Huey with the wives. We saw quite a few Pinks jumping. We also came across a Pod of Orcas, who eventually put on a display of Breaching before turning back towards Burrard Inlet => and some Springs?

I'm under the impression that Southern Resident Killer Whales are almost exclusively eaters of Springs - even when other food is readily available. So I'm thinking they went hungry on this little excursion.

Yesterday I went (from Vanier Park in Vancouver) Salmon fishing off West Vancouver with another Buddy looking for Springs, but didn't get a sniff. We did catch a few Pinks while trolling, but no other Salmon. It was a beautiful day out on the water.

there are definitely spawning chinooks in the indian river. so many years of seeing them on hikes, i would think they spawn.
hatchery confusion and they find a way to spawn. Buntzen still have net pens for rearing?

there are definitely spawning chinooks in the indian river. so many years of seeing them on hikes, i would think they spawn.
hatchery confusion and they find a way to spawn. Buntzen still have net pens for rearing?
I definitely would like to hear more from folks who've caught a Chinook, or even a Coho in Indian Arm. Maybe I've got the wrong impression of what's out there. 🙃

There’s prob a small number of springs & coho that spawn there but I don’t think they hold long & definitely don’t reside up there, from what I’ve heard the oxygen level is too low & gets worse the further up the Arm. But I’m not gonna waste time and drop spring gear down so maybe that’s why nobody catches them 🤷‍♂️

Related note, anybody tried lately?? With the winds this week and restless kids on summer break, I’m gonna buzz up the arm tomorrow. Great cruise to do occasionally anyways. Prob will try out front of Cates Park (while my one kid does PokemonGo at Cates which is a “hot spot” lol) But I guess we all like to “catch ‘em all”. Then blast up and try the mouth. Of course stop for Honeys Donuts. I’ll report how it went.

Good luck!
If you have the time, go a little slower and hug the shoreline on your way up to spot any jumpers. From my experience up there, they like to school up in little coves and beaches. The only time I’ve had consistent success hooking multiple pinks with buzz bombs was when there was a massive school of jumpers, not just one or two.

I went up there on Friday, saw the occasional jumper by Belcarra park and the old power station, tried for them a little without takers. Trolling may have been a better call.

Got a spring on a double- header early at Atkinson, so decided to blast up the arm on the way home. Nothing around the old Hydro station, so went to the end. Tons of jumpers around Crocker but that’s a RCA. At the mouth, some were jumping and lots of schools slowly at the surface in schools of 40-50, cool to see. Ran the riggers at 15-25’ no takers. Casted into them and they just got spooked. Got nothing but really cool to see. More jumpers at Crocker on the way back and sporadically as I drove back. Quick donut stop and back to Rocky Point. Didn’t try in front of Cates but was a few jumpers. They prob more likely to take the trolling gear there I’d think.

Thanks for the info on the Pinks Gents. Doesn't sound too promising these days in the Arm. Hopefully it'll improve soon.

An acquaintance got a couple decent springs west of Point Atkinson yesterday both just under 80 cm I'm told.

There’s prob a small number of springs & coho that spawn there but I don’t think they hold long & definitely don’t reside up there, from what I’ve heard the oxygen level is too low & gets worse the further up the Arm. But I’m not gonna waste time and drop spring gear down so maybe that’s why nobody catches them 🤷‍♂️

Related note, anybody tried lately?? With the winds this week and restless kids on summer break, I’m gonna buzz up the arm tomorrow. Great cruise to do occasionally anyways. Prob will try out front of Cates Park (while my one kid does PokemonGo at Cates which is a “hot spot” lol) But I guess we all like to “catch ‘em all”. Then blast up and try the mouth. Of course stop for Honeys Donuts. I’ll report how it went.
I trolled up there near power station last weekend and again near the end with pink and spring gear. Not even a sniff. Ended up casting in the schools at the end. Never seen so many salmon in my life.

Thanks for the info on the Pinks Gents. Doesn't sound too promising these days in the Arm. Hopefully it'll improve soon.

An acquaintance got a couple decent springs west of Point Atkinson yesterday both just under 80 cm I'm told.
Did you report them? Lol

Back