TRIP UPDATE! Looking For Suggestions For a Weekend Getaway in Victoria

Jones is ok but if you have it for lunch you will need a nap after. You will not be impressed if you smoke your own meats or bbq on a kamado already.

A 3 year old might appreciate the petting zoo at Beaconhill Park. https://beaconhillchildrensfarm.ca/

I notice some of the suggestions are more appropriate for older kids, but the Bug Zoo is cool if they like bugs.
Fisherman's Wharf for fish & chips and look at the seals, and there's a kid's park nearby.

Good luck!
Peacocks and goats, by donation. Definitely a must for a 3 year old. Also walk the breakwater, have lunch beer/hotchocolate at the breakwater bistro.

Jones is ok but if you have it for lunch you will need a nap after. You will not be impressed if you smoke your own meats or bbq on a kamado already.
I've found this with most places actually. Smells great but generally lackluster. Hard to beat small batch in my Primo at home.

If your looking for a lunch spot downtown and like veitnamese hit pho vy. Also if your looking for sushi in my opinion ebizo sushi is the best in the city and right down town

If your looking for a lunch spot downtown and like veitnamese hit pho vy. Also if your looking for sushi in my opinion ebizo sushi is the best in the city and right down town
We eat a lot of Asian at home so we'll probably stick to touristy food like oysters and fish and chips. My kid is most excited for eating some kind of take out or delivery in the hotel bed. Highlight of any trip for her. I can't say I a disagree.

Well I have to say, Victoria sure is a beautiful little city. I loved the hotel's location. We actually ended up with a nice view from the top floor, corner unit. Fancy stuff.
20220402_091153.jpg

After we checked in we immediately hit Red Fish Blue Fish for some fish and chips. Cod was delicious, as was expected 9/10.

Had time for a quick nap after that and then hit Il Terrazo for an early dinner becuase reservations were hard to get. Beautiful restaurant with great drinks and fantastic service. The food was actually my least favorite part but I never expect much from Italian restaurants. Overall a worth while experience and I'm glad we tried it, 8/10.

On the walk home we hit up Beaver Tails and they were better than I remembered. Hit the sack early because we were sharing the king bed with kiddo. Seriously... that's why.

Saturday morning I woke up early and snuck off for a walk and a coffee so the ladies could sleep in. Hit up Crust Bakery and had a really good Croissant 9/10. The streets were clean and quiet.

When I got back we ordered breakfast in bed. The food from the Courtney Room downstairs was great. I had the salmon benny with fresh squeezed orange juice and it was relatively cheap for room service, 8/10.

After breakfast we went for a lovely horse drawn carriage tour of the neighborhood. What a nice experience that was. The history lesson was my favorite part. I actually had no idea Emily Carr lived RIGHT THERE. The cherry blossoms made it extra special. Would recommend 10/10.

After the carriage ride we went for a long walk through Beacon Hill Park. Did the petting zoo, saw the Totem, carried a 30lb potato sack home. It's a very nice park 8/10.

We stopped at the sandwich shop kitty corner to the hotel for lunch. Owned by a lovely Korean couple. Reasonably priced, good chicken panini, 7/10. With lunch, my wife and I hammered a half sack of lagers as a reward for tag teaming that walk home with a kid with no legs.

After an amazing nap we hit up Bodega for dinner. We've been to the one in Vancouver and have had good experiences there. This one was especially cool because of the location in one of those little alleys. They made a killer old fashioned and we enjoyed our seats on the patio. The sardines on toast were a 10/10, the Octopus and potatoes missed the mark by a long shot, 0/10. Overall another nice experience though, 8/10.

Beaver Tails were just as good on this walk home. That darn kid is just so convincing at times.

Sunday we checked out after I had another REALLY quiet walk through downtown solo. I was shocked at how empty the streets were. We hit up Jones BBQ on the way to the ferry. Brisket 10/10, tasted just like mine. Ribs were good but definitely had a more braised texture going on. They must wrap them for the majority of the cook. Very little bark but still very good 8.5/10. Smoked chicken sucked. Sides were ok. The fried chicken sandwich was horrible. Looked amazing but was so salty I couldn't eat it. They must use a wet batter too because there were huge pockets of raw batter. Most of the nicely battered parts slid off after two bites. At $16 it really killed fhe experience for me, 7/10.

The wife and kid had a blast and I'm really happy we made the trip. Can't wait to go back and mix in some fishing next time!

Last edited:
And after getting all Qued up at JONES, walk next door to Danielle Patrese, bar none the best cinnamon buns on the planet!!
Next level decadence.
Awe man, wish I would have known. Next time!

Well I have to say, Victoria sure is a beautiful little city. I loved the hotel's location. We actually ended up with a nice view from the top floor, corner unit. Fancy stuff.
View attachment 77602

After we checked in we immediately hit Red Fish Blue Fish for some fish and chips. Cod was delicious, as was expected 9/10.

Had time for a quick nap after that and then hit Il Terrazo for an early dinner becuase reservations were hard to get. Beautiful restaurant with great drinks and fantastic service. The food was actually my least favorite part but I never expect much from Italian restaurants. Overall a worth while experience and I'm glad we tried it, 8/10.

On the walk home we hit up Beaver Tails and they were better than I remembered. Hit the sack early because we were sharing the king bed with kiddo. Seriously... that's why.

Saturday morning I woke up early and snuck off for a walk and a coffee so the ladies could sleep in. Hit up Crust Bakery and had a really good Croissant 9/10. The streets were clean and quiet.

When I got back we ordered breakfast in bed. The food from the Courtney Room downstairs was great. I had the salmon benny with fresh squeezed orange juice and it was relatively cheap for room service, 8/10.

After breakfast we went for a lovely horse drawn carriage tour of the neighborhood. What a nice experience that was. The history lesson was my favorite part. I actually had no idea Emily Carr lived RIGHT THERE. The cherry blossoms made it extra special. Would recommend 10/10.

After the carriage ride we went for a long walk through Beacon Hill Park. Did the petting zoo, saw the Totem, carried a 30lb potato sack home. It's a very nice park 8/10.

We stopped at the sandwich shop kitty corner to the hotel for lunch. Owned by a lovely Korean couple. Reasonably priced, good chicken panini, 7/10. With lunch, my wife and I hammered a half sack of lagers as a reward for tag teaming that walk home with a kid with no legs.

After an amazing nap we hit up Bodega for dinner. We've been to the one in Vancouver and have had good experiences there. This one was especially cool because of the location in one of those little alleys. They made a killer old fashioned and we enjoyed our seats on the patio. The sardines on toast were a 10/10, the Octopus and potatoes missed the mark by a long shot, 0/10. Overall another nice experience though, 8/10.

Beaver Tails were just as good on this walk home. That darn kid is just so convincing at times.

Sunday we checked out after I had another REALLY quiet walk through downtown solo. I was shocked at how empty the streets were. We hit up Jones BBQ on the way to the ferry. Brisket 10/10, tasted just like mine. Ribs were good but definitely had a more braised texture going on. They must wrap them for the majority of the cook. Very little bark but still very good 8.5/10. Smoked chicken sucked. Sides were ok. The fried chicken sandwich was horrible. Looked amazing but was so salty I couldn't eat it. They must use a wet batter too because there were huge pockets of raw batter. Most of the nicely battered parts slid off after two bites. At $16 it really killed fhe experience for me, 7/10.

The wife and kid had a blast and I'm really happy we made the trip. Can't wait to go back and mix in some fishing next time!
Great review!
You make me want to do a review of my last weekend experience in Vancouver with the fam. It was our first time off the island in 5 years.

Okay. You said it boss!

did the exact same trip as @Rain City but in the “upside down”
Also with an asian wife and half kid and all that jazz.

We did our lunch after the ferry ride over in Granville island at the sandbar. Had a hot pot with a side of jasmine rice 9.5/10. nice water view. After lunch and a quick shop at a kid’s store 0/10 (I hate other people’s kids) we went to science world. Pretty cool 8.5/10.
Checked into the fairmont and got a 1 br suite. Nice place, good service, nice indoor pool the next morning. Solid 9/10 hotel. Dinner that night at the Italian kitchen. Pasta trio was great 9/10.‘‘twas the first white napkin white tablecloth dinner out for the little one. She was a rockstar.
Breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Solid omelette and fruit platter 8/10.
Then we did the aquarium which was also a fun thing to take a kid to see. 10/10 for a first timer.
Got lucky with VIP parking. Ate lunch at the cafeteria inside and it was actually really good! Sat in the sun while we ate.
Weather was solid all weekend and I enjoyed driving over the speed limit again.
Overall a wonderful time for us all!

Okay. You said it boss!

did the exact same trip as @Rain City but in the “upside down”
Also with an asian wife and half kid and all that jazz.

We did our lunch after the ferry ride over in Granville island at the sandbar. Had a hot pot with a side of jasmine rice 9.5/10. nice water view. After lunch and a quick shop at a kid’s store 0/10 (I hate other people’s kids) we went to science world. Pretty cool 8.5/10.
Checked into the fairmont and got a 1 br suite. Nice place, good service, nice indoor pool the next morning. Solid 9/10 hotel. Dinner that night at the Italian kitchen. Pasta trio was great 9/10.‘‘twas the first white napkin white tablecloth dinner out for the little one. She was a rockstar.
Breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Solid omelette and fruit platter 8/10.
Then we did the aquarium which was also a fun thing to take a kid to see. 10/10 for a first timer.
Got lucky with VIP parking. Ate lunch at the cafeteria inside and it was actually really good! Sat in the sun while we ate.
Weather was solid all weekend and I enjoyed driving over the speed limit again.
Overall a wonderful time for us all!
Man isn't that the best when the 3 year old doesn't ruin a nice meal?! Ours was an absolute treat for the most part. My favorite thing, and I feel so blessed for it, is that she tries everything. She still likes her bread and fries but she had an equal share of the sardines at Bodega, loves escargo, sushi, all of it.

Back