Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

... Also the Halibut seemed to love our gear as well as we got out limit the first day and three the second day just trolling above the mud biggest being a fat 40lber...

DEADLY FUN on the salmon rod eh?? :D

Dereke_and_Hali.jpg

For a moment there I thought you had a MONSTER Spring on the line!

VERY Much ENJOYED having You and Your Crew out there for a couple days Buddy! You Ladz are a LOT of FUN, and it certainly was Sweet to have the fish cooperate for us!! Right looking forward to the next time myself!! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Had the same boat issue again and had to cut our trip off early but, did manage to get a couple on fish in the boat before heading home.

Attachments

• 2012 Ucluelet BC  Mom's 55lb Hailbut (Medium).jpg
    2012 Ucluelet BC Mom's 55lb Hailbut (Medium).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 2012 Ucluelet BC,  Teresa and I (Medium).jpg
    2012 Ucluelet BC, Teresa and I (Medium).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 156
Leaving in the am for four days in Ukee!
Sure hope the fish move in! Last few years has
Been amazing! Looking forward to it! Staying at ukee campground
In the double site behind the fence on the left as soon
As you come in if anyone is around for a BS! :) wack em and
Stack em time

where are the bigger hali being caught, light house bank? i might go to island west campground on sat. for 3 days... will give my reports on the fishing

The big Salmon haven't yet arrived at Ucluelet but, there's some larger one just starting to show up. The 25 was the biggest and all the big ones were caught at the Northend of Lighthouse Bank. The 55 Hali was caught just west of Lighthouse Bank. 275ft dragging the bottom. BTW, everything was caught with a Green Flasher and Glow white hoochie with a mylar skirt. Salmon seem to be high so far when we went out. Around 135ft at 3kts. worked the best for us. Good luck who ever goes.

Any recent news out of Tofino? back from holidays and need to scratch the fishing itch?

Any recent news out of Tofino? back from holidays and need to scratch the fishing itch?

Bigger average Chinook showing up over the last two days both inshore and offshore. Coho are pretty thick all around. Detailed report coming soon.

Heading out to ukie for a 4 day trip. First time fishing the area. If possible can someone message me the gps possition of lighthouse Bank? We would like to give it a try.
Thanks!

Sure, there's plenty of fish for everybody. Lighthouse bank is also called Amphitrite Bank on most maps. There's are general area's that we fished in early July. 48 53.932N and 125 39.911W. Trolling east and west seems to produce the best. There's a series of humps heading south on Lighthouse bank and at the southend it can be good also. We fish mostly 48 50.312N and 125 33.762W. Fishing boats can be scatter all over the place now. A friend was fishing the slot just outside the red can buoy and got into some nice Tyee's also. He uses only herring behind a flasher on the bottom. Ask around and see if Portland Points is producing if the lower banks are doing well. That's Portland Point outside about five miles. By the time you get up there, the hunks should be in. Happy fishing you all.

Went tonight for a night fish with Hit Em Hard out of Uke. Awesome evening, brought two home around 12 pounds from Red Can and Beg Island, shook off another 5 or 6 coho and smaller springs, probably had another 5 or 6 good strikes that never stuck. Saw a couple nice humpys surface near Red Can also. Pretty good for 4 hours out there. Thanks for taking me out Hit Em Hard! Awesome boat, you run it like a pro.

Thanks hiroshi!!!!!
Would anyone have to location to South Bank? I have lighthouse and south confused.
Thanks!!!!!

Thanks hiroshi!!!!!
Would anyone have to location to South Bank? I have lighthouse and south confused.
Thanks!!!!!

I believe that the first waypoint that hiroshi gave you is usually considered inside light house bank and the second one is the south bank, close to the turtle head.

johan

Just home from Tofino. Fished inside Tuesday and Wednesday. Lots of cohos and a 25lb chinook(on chovey) at Kutcous.
My partner went home so I got to go out to Portland Pt alone today(Thur). Big spoons, 60-90 feet. Several cohos, the first of which was eaten by a blue shark. (57.5 F) Then a 15 and 23lb chinook. Done by 9:00am. Some bigger fish were being caught by most folks I think. Saw one of Jay's young guides cleaning a limit including a pair of 25's.
Got ice in Ukee on Monday and the plant was busy processing a couple seine loads of pilchards. Put the little stuff away and get out the big spoons and plugs. Back to Ukee next Fri and Sat.

Just home from Tofino. Fished inside Tuesday and Wednesday. Lots of cohos and a 25lb chinook(on chovey) at Kutcous.
My partner went home so I got to go out to Portland Pt alone today(Thur). Big spoons, 60-90 feet. Several cohos, the first of which was eaten by a blue shark. (57.5 F) Then a 15 and 23lb chinook. Done by 9:00am. Some bigger fish were being caught by most folks I think. Saw one of Jay's young guides cleaning a limit including a pair of 25's.
Got ice in Ukee on Monday and the plant was busy processing a couple seine loads of pilchards. Put the little stuff away and get out the big spoons and plugs. Back to Ukee next Fri and Sat.

Tubber, Glad you found them this week. Average size Chinook increasing a bit and they are spread out everywhere...Plugs and Spoons ready!

Jay you didn't post up that wicked pic that Matt took. Unreal! Glad to hear some larger fish are moving in as well.

http://www.facebook.com/TofinoFishing

Kelly,

That picture has created more than a little buzz the last couple days. Matt has guided for me 5 years now and we agreed that seeing Humpies offshore is not uncommon, but what happened that day is NOT common. Two of my boats (Matt on Right Hook and Leon on Overtime) were fishing Halibut with a two boat group from Montana when a young and curious Humpback swam bewteen them. The Whale cruised the surface between the two boats about 300 yards apart and when it got closer to Matt's boat, it went down for about 10 seconds then launched out and spun around for a complete breach within 30 feet of the boat. It dove straight at the boat and Matt caught the picture at the perfect time.
He has submitted to National Geographic Photo contest so if any of you want to support him that would be great http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/...hic-traveler-photo-contest-2012/100339/#img36

What is really cool is that Leon took a pic at the same time from the other boat and it looks like the whale is going to launch onto Right Hook. Even cooler is the Video we haven't released yet which shows the whole thing, and the Whale launching right at them.
Will post the Video on our Website and Youtube very soon.
Meanwhile, people can see the pic of the Whale Breach on our Facebook page via the link you shared above.

J.

another mind blowing whale picture....courtesy of members of SFBC...very cool. You guys are a newsworthy bunch!

(cant wait to see the vid...be sure not to have the site crash, if so, Kelly has a referral for you!)

Hey all,

We are well into July already and the fishing here in Ucluelet has been excellent. Calm seas and warm days have blessed the crew @ Big Bear. The boys have been filling the tubs with Chinook to 25 lbs. and Coho to 11 lbs. We are still awaiting our runs of larger Chinook which should be on the door step any day now. Halibut fishing has been equally as good with an 80 lb. flatty weighed in a couple of days ago. Prime time is here so give us a call for availability through till the end of September.

Offshore:

The usual hot spots are all producing fish, Light house bank, Rats nose and the Wreck are all fishing well. Depths have ranged from 60 ft. to 120 ft. The larger bait is starting to show so spoons and plugs from Tomic are working well. Try the 6 “ spoons in the 602, 232, 727 and the 158. Plugs in the 6-7 inch sizes with the same number patterns are a great bet as well. The gold fever, gold betsy, super betsy and gold purple have all been excellent choices for flashers. Down size the gear to 4-5 “ coyotes in the green glo, blue metallic, green metallic, and green flat are hitting coho consistently.

Inshore:

For those that do not want to venture out to the banks, all of the inshore spots are producing Chinook and coho. Florencia, Beggs Island, Great Bear, and down into the sound at Meares Bluff and Swale Rock have fished very well for this time of year. Look to see the first of the Robertson Creek fish to be showing and finishing up their feeding before they make their trek into the Stamp/Somass system. This provides great opportunities of fish to that magical 40 lb. + mark. Hoochies and needlefish hootchies have been working great. Anchovy in your favorite teasers as well has been the ticket. There does seem to be an issue this year with Mackeral so try to up the hook size to keep these voracious feeders off of the gear.

With August approaching so too does “fogust”. Please ensure that all of your electronics are up to speed with current software ect. Please do be mindful that there are smaller vessels using the same areas and some are not equipped with today’s technology. That being said, limit your speed when entering and exiting the harbor and surrounding shorelines. If you don’t already have a radar reflector in place it might be a good time to make the small investment and have one installed.

Until next time, tight lines..

The Crew @ Big Bear

1- 855- 9 (SALMON)
www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com

DSCN0228.jpg

IMG_0323-1.jpg

DSCN0152.jpg

Some great reports folks. Thank you.

Heading up tonight for some serious fishing with Finished Business, Trendsetter, and friends. Dusting off the plugs, spoons, and herring teaser heads. Should be a blast.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Back