Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Will definately stop by and pick up some flys when I arrive tofinofish - can't beat local knowledge.

Do you troll the clousers too? I have always used them mainly for casting.

Nice patterns tofinofish! thanks for the help. How far out from Ukee is Tofino? Haven't been in years and can't remember distances... I would like to swing by the shop. Tied some up and will see how they work.

Will definately stop by and pick up some flys when I arrive tofinofish - can't beat local knowledge.

Do you troll the clousers too? I have always used them mainly for casting.

Some of the Clousers we have created over the last few years can easily be trolled with high success rates. We make some in the 5-7 inch range to match the big snakey Needlefish. They are a bomb to cast, but when you see them in the water and the action they produce, the chuck and duck method is worth it!..

We dye all our own PBear and tie with two stage epoxy so they are bombproof as possible. We have been sending many of these to anglers all over the map who are heading to various areas of the coast. Results and feedback have been excellent. 3 commercial tyers on staff, with attention to detail...

Glad to help you out if you stop by. Our shop is hard to miss on the main road into Tofino.

Nice patterns tofinofish! thanks for the help. How far out from Ukee is Tofino? Haven't been in years and can't remember distances... I would like to swing by the shop. Tied some up and will see how they work.

20 minute Drive. We are open all day every day until the fall..See you then

Tied some up, are these a little too thick? SHould I go for a thinner profile. Still going to tie orange, grey, chartreuse, red, and black as well as some mixed variations of those over white.
IMG_1724.jpg

Thank you for the info! Hope I am not derailing the thread.

All areas of Ucluelet and Barkley Sound are fishing well.

Barkley Sound –
Kirby Point and Swale Rock continue to be the hot spots in Barkley Sound. Pill Point Diplock and Cree are good as well. Hootchies and needlefish squirts still seem to be the best producers. Anchovies are also a good bet. Clear chartreuse, glow green and UV teaser heads also seem to be top producers. Try these heads with super Betsy or Purple Gold Flashers.

Halibut fishing in Barkley Sound has also been steady. Look for shoals and table tops that are 160 to 180 feet deep. Power grubs in glow and white rigged on a 16 oz. jig work well, also large Norwegian jigs and mudrakers are a sure bet. Bait works well but be prepared to release a lot of dog fish.

Off Shore –
Long beach and light house bank are the placed to be. There are lots of Needlefish and Sand Lance out there with the talk of the odd pilchard. Fishing close to the bottom is working best for both Halibut and Chinook. Most boats are catching full limits of both Halibut and Salmon trolling hootchies or spoons on the bottom. Large spoons and plugs such as tomics are fishing well. 7” Tomic Cop Car spoons and JM2 Plugs have been very affective. When fishing off shore remember hatchery Coho only. When targeting Coho, try blue and silver coyote spoons closer to the surface.

Please remember when venturing offshore to check the weather often. Offshore weather changes very quickly and can leave you in a troubling situation.

Good luck and tight lines,
The Crew at Big Bear

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

Fished Outside Lighthouse Bank and around towards Outside South over the weekend mostly dragging needle-fish hootchies in the mud for limits of chinooks and halis for 3 guys with many chinooks and a few cohos released. The chinooks were on the small side with those we kept mostly in the 12 - 15 pound range. Our one large chinook weighed in just over 20 lbs and was caught a little shallower (40 feet off bottom) at 130 feet. We also fished the red can on a couple of occasions and the results were the same with smaller chinooks. There had been some reports of larger fish caught there a few days earlier but it seems they have moved on.We did not see much in the way of bait balls on the sounder however our big fish had 1 - 5 inch herring and 1 pilchard in its belly. I will be back on the 13th for 9 days, hopefully some larger fish will move in by then. At this point I will be fishing on my own on the 17 18 and 19. If any members are interested in splitting the costs and joining me for a day or 3 send me a pm.

We were off inner S. Bank and battled through crazy, kamikazi coho, while trying to get to the springs. They took 6" spoons on the surface as we frantically tried to get our gear down. We released about 50% as wild fish, finally giving up rather than taking the chance of killing more through catch and release: several hatchery fish that we boated were mortally hooked through the roof of their mouths.

BTW, we spent the night in Ukie for the first time in years. What a cool, friendly little town! We'll be back, soon.

Fished mostly south bank on thursday and friday with easy limits of smaller springs. A couple around the 20lb mark and many many shakers. Friday there was only two of us on board and we had our limit of 4 springs before the end of the first tack. We pulled the gear up in the water column and picked up some speed in an effort to get some Coho . killed one hatchery but gave up after releasing a few too many wild ones. Picked up some chicken Hali on the drift out on the bank and one pig of a 'but mixed with a few yellow-eye in a (not so) special spot.

All in all a good couple of days with excellent weather.

Here's a few iphone shots of the destruction.
Cheers!

56" Hali
photo1-1.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Well I finally made it to the coast to fish and I had the best fishing trip of my life. My friend Mac called me Friday and said to be ready in 2 hours, we are leaving Vancouver and heading to Ukee. I had groceries and coolers of ice ready to go before he even hung up the phone. Mac, his fishy friend Jeff and myself were on route for the coast in his 33' blackfin by 5pm. We were cooking steaks in a sick house that Mac set up in East Sooke by 9pm. Pretty sure we went right by Wolf's place if your in East Sooke, looked like your rig. I barely slept that night as I WAS SO STOKED for fishing the west coast . We decided to make a run for swiftsure in the morning as the conditions were like glass. Not going to lie, the swell and fog did have me feeling a little woozy by the time we hit the bank, which was concerning as the boys said it was actually pretty sweet conditions. They had a good cure for the sickness and we were slaying fish in no time. We had fish on before we even had a line down. The ho's were savage off the bank, easy limits of good size hatchery coho and a couple good size springs. Didn't matter what you put down, by the end we were just running big plugs and spoons down deep but the ho's were still all over it. We switched up to to try for hali during the slack and this was exciting for me as I had never caught one . We got lucky, all three of us had one in the boat in short order. Biggest was 30 which is physically bigger then I imagined. Watching Jeff gaff the halis and wrestle them down was entertaining to say the least. Power bait worked for the halibut doing drifts. Pretty easy to fish halibut without the anchor set up. After limiting out on the hali we made a run for Bamfield to fuel up the beast and grab some supplies . We trolled into Bamfield as we had a spot left for a big spring but only released small ones. Cool place to fish , lots of different areas to hit. Pretty sure I saw Osama at the general store in bamfield but you left before I had a chance to say Hello. Turtle Island was the end of the line for day one of fishing. What a sweet place to drop the hook. Morning came quick after eating and then processing fish and Ukee banks were up next. South bank was the first stop and the seas were big, 1 something swell with 5 foot wind chop on top . I felt good day 2 as Renfrew primed me I guess. The fishing was very productive with lots of wild coho and pretty good for springs. Jeff put 2 in the boat around 25 pounds and lost a big heavy brute that spit the hook at us after a long fight. Pretty funny playing fish looking up at them in the swell. All the big springs came on a glo hoochie with a flap on the head. We broke that off and didn't get any more big ones. Small ones were hitting everything I put down, including daisy chain with flasher and bait above it. Pretty much had our limit on day one off inner south bank. My wife and baby Nakai made the drive from the mainland to join us for dinner at a friend of Mac's and Jeff's. It was nice to meet some of the friendly people of Ukee. My wife, boy and I slept on the boat and it was pretty cool seeing the fleet heading out in the morning, got me pretty stoked. The pouring rain on the other hand had us going onto land to grab breakfast and lunch. The Blue Room was the first pace we saw open and I say it was pretty tasty. The locals told us they did good off light house bank the day before so that was our first destination . The wife really wanted to bottom fish. That bank was pretty slow for us but the wife did get her hali using power bait again. We made a couple of location change ups, including south bank again and finished off at a spot called big bear in close ? Must say fishing was much slower, we had to work for them and did't get our limits. Didn't matter, already had an amazing trip . I would have to say swiftsure had the most explosive fishing and south bank was next. Can't wait to visit every one these places again. I am border line thinking of a career change to switch locations from Whistler to the coast lol. White hoochie was overall top producer. The bigger springs came between 130 and 80 feet but we were getting them from 180 to 30 out of ukee and everywhere the first day off swift sure. Fun watching coho attack the gear sitting on the water waiting to be set to the rigger. Can't wait for the next trip.

photo2.jpg

Awesome day off uke with Rip and Reel Charter. 28' Grady was nice but after comparing that to the Glacier Bay Catamaran I went on, I think I will keep hunting for a 2690 Glacier Bay.

We made it back up this past weekend and sure enjoyed the weather compared to 2 weeks ago lol. What a gorgeous weekend. A couple of hunting buddies came up for the weekend and we managed few salmon and some bottom fish. Had a fun time for sure.

It was gorgeous out on the banks with a bit of a breeze on Saturday.

IMG_2647.jpg

Hooked up right away.

IMG_2642.jpg

We caught our limit of smaller springs and managed a couple of hatch job coho out on the bank in pretty short order. Small anchovie in chartruese teaser heads behind purple haze flashers worked for us. We trolled up a couple of chickens as well. One was caught on a Turd that I rigged up with a Pirate's Den LED light. One fish for us with it so far. I'll try it again through out the season and give an honest opinion after.

We fished inside on Sunday and the coho were sure fun. Just followed the birds and bait balls around and saw lot's of action. White hootchies and the Honey Badger spoon worked good.

Appetizers in camp. Mmmmm.

IMG_2650.jpg

A buddy of mine taking his rock fish fishing pretty seriously lol!

IMG_2649.jpg

On Sunday we fished a couple of lumps right out front of Ukee trying for lings etc.

We picked up a couple of nice rock fish.

IMG_2652.jpg

Buddy caught this nice halibut in 58 feet of water trying for ling cod.

IMG_2653.jpg

Crabbing was not very good this weekend and we heard a few others saying the same thing. We did managed to get a couple though and they were tasty.

Black bear wondering the beach as always near the Maggie River mouth.

IMG_2657.jpg

Anyways I can' think of a better way to unwind after a hectic week at work lol. Fun weekend with good friends.

Cheers,
John

Good report Sculpin. I'd freeze the sushi to avoid critters growing to surprising lengths in the bowels of your friends.

Back