Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Just got back from spending the weekend with Finished Business, Trendsetter, and their buddy Cam. We all had a fun time, caught some fish, drank some beer, and ate like kings. Saturday was a little slow for us in the salmon department but Sunday was better for sure. Managed a ling cod, a couple of small halibut, one nice spring, some smaller springs, and a couple of coho.

Here is a shot of the guys with a nice spring that FB caught.

IMG_2673.jpg

Cheers,
Sculpin

BIG THANKS to the Mighty Sculpin for putting us younger salts on board to get outside for some fun times! As well for the cozy accomodations at Da Beach.

Thats one hell of a great picture John! It was my biggest chinook to date, so it meant something special! It was fun cruising around in that tank of a boat, and sorry for the bam town detour but we got to see some pretty sweet alloys hanging around in the harbour as a result.

Tired as hell but as usual well worth the effort to get out for some fish and some great times with new friends!

-Nick-FB-

PS- what an awesome picture! Its a framer!

Stayed at tofino swell and it was awesome. Can't wait to get back next year.[/QUOTE]

We must have moved out the day you came. Nice folks and locale. Nice fish![/QUOTE]

Agree with you there...for those bringing your own boats, Swell Lodge is a great option.

Just got back from spending the weekend with Finished Business, Trendsetter, and their buddy Cam. We all had a fun time, caught some fish, drank some beer, and ate like kings. Saturday was a little slow for us in the salmon department but Sunday was better for sure. Managed a ling cod, a couple of small halibut, one nice spring, some smaller springs, and a couple of coho.

Here is a shot of the guys with a nice spring that FB caught.

IMG_2673.jpg

We got some gopro video as well that should be pretty cool.

Needle fish hootchies in glow white, red and glow white, and glow army truck seemed to work down low and around 45' up top. We had a bit of a detour on the weekend and the Sculpin was in Bamtown for a few minutes :rolleyes: lol:D.

Anyways it was a fun trip and thanks for the great comradery and laugh's guy's. I look forward to it again sometime. Good luck on your charter out of Ukee today.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Big time envy shotz. Congrats FB, Labelled for the mantle IMo

What dose one need to do to get the the next trip John, cuz pencil me in................lol:eek:

Tofino in August

Look like there's good weather ahead. Wish I were up in Tofino now. We drive up next Thusday to fish Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Hope some folks get out on the banks to give us a preview of August fishing. I'm trying to get my waypoints dialed in - I think the C&B is 8 miles off shore, can anybody point me in the right direction? Look for our alumaweld with a white hardtop and five guys on board - the Finn-atic. I'll give a full report once we're back on the 6th. Enjoy the weather and good luck if you're heading out soon - let's see some pics!

22, 18, 13 lbs caught yesterday sw of turtle head. Along with a 6 gill shark, pretty nice day, hits all came furious 2 hours before 11am slack.

22, 18, 13 lbs caught yesterday sw of turtle head. Along with a 6 gill shark, pretty nice day, hits all came furious 2 hours before 11am slack.

Nice report Reel Time. Did you hook into the six gill and have a rodeo ride lol? any story?

My son hooked into a Tope? shark 2 years ago and I have never seen a Shimano mooching reel spin that fast before and I have never heard those words come out of my son's mouth before lol!!!

Nice report Reel Time. Did you hook into the six gill and have a rodeo ride lol? any story?

My son hooked into a Tope? shark 2 years ago and I have never seen a Shimano mooching reel spin that fast before and I have never heard those words come out of my son's mouth before lol!!!

you out there next weekend (August long), John? We'll be on the pick in Effingham Bay Friday through Sunday.

you out there next weekend (August long), John? We'll be on the pick in Effingham Bay Friday through Sunday.

Not this year Dan. I have to keep the Mrs. happy so were sneaking away to Seattle for that weekend. I'm going to pick up some more tuna gear while down there and check out the new Cabela's. Hope you have a great weekend:).

Cheers,
John

No big story, we thought we had tyee plus on for a few minutes, so showing off with a lot of excitement to the boat full of americans beside us... then saw it was a shark and just gave er a gaff release... few pics of our 18 and 22 pounders....
527227_10151979542575445_1028334621_n.jpg
488047_10151979476825445_984927653_n.jpg
483325_10151979537860445_1853394795_n.jpg

Nice pic's and fish Reel Time!!! That gets me pumped up for tomorrow for sure. Heading up with my father, my son, and my uncle. Should be fun times. The seas look great all weekend as well.

Tofino offshore banks?

I would have loved to see the one the shark got! Those fish still get the heart pumping! We're headed up next Thursday. We're those fish offshore? Are the pilchards in? How far out we're you? Keep up the good work!

Definitley a different run of Chinook and bigger offshore Coho showing up. Cookie Cutter high 20's White Chinook, as well as a few mid-high 30's yesterday for our fleet...

Does not sound Red Hot, but with flat calm conditions and good action overall for good to high quality, we are liking it.

-Personally have not been able to fish this summer, but made it out with my kids last night for a couple hours for Coho on the Fly really close to Tofino. I went 0 for 2 and my son was 2 for 3 on scrappy 5-8 lb Coho. Humbled by the young ones......

Our main inshore boat has been nailing it on the A.M. tides this week, with numerous Coho over 10 lbs yesterday on the Fly.

This one was fromearlier in the week....

Attachments

• P7240090.jpg
    P7240090.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the weekend with some relatives and had a good time visiting and fishing. We fished about 5 miles off of long beach and got easy limits of chickens. Lot's of coho around and we found the ratio was quite low for wild to hatchery so we didn't have to release that many which was nice. Still just smaller springs for us but we did hear of quite a few nice large ones being caught NW of us up around Tofino.

On Sunday my buddy came up for the day and after we dropped off the relatives we hit a couple a new spots we wanted to try in the rock piles near Ukee. We had a blast catching halibut and some nice lings before heading in.

I picked up an AVET JX 4.6:1 last week and got to try it out this weekend. I love it!

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

We fished some steep walls and were drifting quite fast so I was reeling in like mad to prevent getting caught up on the wall. My grub and spreader bar just hit the surface as I looked over to see if it was tangled or not. Just then a BIG brown flash grabbed it right on the surface. It must of followed it up all the way up then smashed it. Pretty cool hit on the grub for sure.

IMG_2694.jpg

It was a fun weekend and we are trying out some different things this year that seem to be working out. That's what makes fishing so fun.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Awesome report John! Those are some big lings!

I think he was keeping all the good spots between the family, eh TS?! haha great fish and report Sculps!

Hey Sculpin,

Does Chrow Island put out any Lings? We come Up to Ukee Aug. 10th-14th and have the Hali and King/Coho (Starfish and Wreck) figured out...just trying to find some steady ling fishing. Wondering where you were....general info is OK if you can share...if not, I get it. We are going to try there and inside a bit more as well. Thanks!!

We just returned yesterday from a 2 day/ 3 night trip.

I was lucky enough to get invited on a 26 ft Orca, where we ran 17 miles offshore for limits of Halibut. Nothing big, the perfect size for eating and it worked well with the new regs.

At the starfish we picked up most of our springs from mid teens to low 30's. Depth was 90-140 feet. The Chinook fished seemed slow from what I remembered in the past.

We did get our limits of Coho weeding through the wild ones.
Spend about 2 hours at swale early yesterday morning prior to heading out and never had hit.
A few boats were out at swale too and we never saw a salmon on.

I also got to try our those new high perfomance scotty riggers that were on the boat.
I will stick with my old ones on my boat.
One of the crew just touched the switch to bring it up a few more feet to grab the clip and popped off the ball....it happened that fast and that easy.
The red scotty plastic stops did not always work either.
Scotty needs to do some more work on those IMHO

Thanks for the report Islandgirl. What were you using at Starfish? We leave Thursday morning for the drive up from Seattle. We stocked up on big spoons and plugs, but we're debating whether we need to buy more anchovies or herring. Are the Pilchards in at Starfish? Can't wait to get up there!

We leave Thursday as well mooring at island west there till Tuesday

Back