Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

fished ukee sunday to tuesday, did great with daily limits of halibut (on the troll), springs and coho and lets not forget the tasty crab. fished lighthouse bank. sunday and monday where realy nice with no wind and lots of sun but the wind was there tuesday, i cant wait to get back up there as we had a great time.

fished ukee sunday to tuesday, did great with daily limits of halibut (on the troll), springs and coho and lets not forget the tasty crab. fished lighthouse bank. sunday and monday where realy nice with no wind and lots of sun but the wind was there tuesday, i cant wait to get back up there as we had a great time.

Good report between the lines. Welcome to the site. It's nice to see so many new members joining up and contributing. Thanks eh!.

I will be pulling the boat over tomorrow night and fishing Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Thanks for the reports Tofino and BTL. I can't wait. I will post a report when I return.

h.e.h.

Hey guys, my boss has decided I need to work in Tofino from July 9th to 21st. Lucky me. Can anyone recommend where the best place to moor and launch my boat are? And any tips on fishing spots? I have a 21 foot Striper on an 98
Evinrude which I've had some recent engine problems. I think it was just water in my fuel but I'm still weary of going way offshore. Is Portland Point the best spot to go that's relatively close? Thanks!

Hey guys, my boss has decided I need to work in Tofino from July 9th to 21st. Lucky me. Can anyone recommend where the best place to moor and launch my boat are? And any tips on fishing spots? I have a 21 foot Striper on an 98
Evinrude which I've had some recent engine problems. I think it was just water in my fuel but I'm still weary of going way offshore. Is Portland Point the best spot to go that's relatively close? Thanks!

You can expect very good Chinook and Coho Fishing inside waters during your stay in July, so offshore not crutial unless you want to focus on Halibut/Bottomfish. Launch is at 4th street dock and it may be your best bet for space during this busy time. You should stop in at our Fly and Tackle on the left just before 4th street and we will gladly help with directions on the chart and the right gear. Your boat is adequate for size, but you should get the issues figured out before you launch......

You can expect very good Chinook and Coho Fishing inside waters during your stay in July, so offshore not crutial unless you want to focus on Halibut/Bottomfish. Launch is at 4th street dock and it may be your best bet for space during this busy time. You should stop in at our Fly and Tackle on the left just before 4th street and we will gladly help with directions on the chart and the right gear. Your boat is adequate for size, but you should get the issues figured out before you launch......

X2 on having your engine problem fixed before heading out. It can be awfully embarrassing having to request a tow in not to mention the safety factor of being without power. An ounce of prevention is definitely worth a couple of pounds of cure.

h.e.h.

Fished Ukee Tuesday/Wednesday...

Got some really nice fish... limits each day... big guys took awhile to get because there were so many small feeders and coho to get thru... couple nice chickens and lings to round out 2 days of good fishing... Weather was bouncy but not raining...
135ft off the lighhouse bank and scraping the bottom produced... Needle fish seemed to be what they were feeding on...
Also the Red bouy off the lighthouse has a lot of fish holding there...
Wish we had some near by Hali Spots.. we did a few hours of drifting herring around the bottom but no Hali to be found that way...
Good trip all in all..

Wanna give Tofino a shot soon...

Got some really nice fish... limits each day... big guys took awhile to get because there were so many small feeders and coho to get thru... couple nice chickens and lings to round out 2 days of good fishing... Weather was bouncy but not raining...
135ft off the lighhouse bank and scraping the bottom produced... Needle fish seemed to be what they were feeding on...
Wish we had some near by Hali Spots.. we did a few hours of drifting herring around the bottom but no Hali to be found that way...
Good trip all in all..

Stop in the shop and we'll get you dialed in...

Great to see this thread getting a good number of postings.

Seeing some good reports, I would really like to get back over for the weekend, but Environment Canada is forecasting NW winds 15-25 for Saturday/Sunday. Not sure if it is worth making a go of it, or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good trip all in all..

Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for posting. Now get up to Tofino next week!

Nice fish on the surfline right now. Saw a 42 lber on the dock yesterday....

Hey All,

The crew @Big Bear Salmon Charters would like to welcome Malcom Carruthers to our team of knowledgeable and experienced guides. Malcom comes to us from the north end of the Haida Gwaii, bringing his wealth of knowledge to assist in making memories of a lifetime for our guests. Along with Malcom, “the boys” are geared and ready to hit Ucluelet waters with a serious bang as we approach the red hot months of July, August, and September.

Barkley Sound:
Salmon:
Salmon fishing in Barkley sound has been excellent over the last couple of weeks with large numbers of both feeders and migratory Chinook being caught. Cree Island, Meares Bluff, Kirby point, Swale Rock and Folger are all producing limits of ocean fresh fish. The first of the Coho runs are also well into the sound with a mix of both wild and hatchery fish available for the taking. Remember to check your regulations regarding retention of Coho in the sound and on the offshore waters.

Chinook:
The Chinook are feeding primarily on needlefish in the sound. The needle fish hootchy in splatterback, army truck, and lemon drop have been lethal when paired with a gold betsy flasher from hot spot. The coyote spoons have also been producing huge, fished with or without a flasher. Try running a dummy flasher with approximately 6-8 feet of lead from the cannon ball and a naked spoon at an equal distance above the flasher. This makes for great action when not having to fight with the flasher. Popular spoons include the green/glo, copcar, blue metallic, and flat silver. The 3.5“ tomic in the 602 finish has also been a go-to spoon. Depths of 57 ft. to 120 ft. have been the most consistent.

Offshore:
Chinook:
The banks have been a little hit and miss as of late with no real rhyme or reason to where the fish will be from day to day. We are still waiting to see the biomass of bait fish show, primarily pilchards. Light house bank has been fishing well on the evening flood with reports of the odd tyee starting to come in. Long Beach, the Rats Nose and outside south have also been producing fish in the 10-20 lb. range. Hootchies and spoons are both producing in all of the usual patterns. There is also a large number of coho showing in the 4-8 lb. range. Depths have been anywhere from 80-140 ft. Basically hit the bottom and bring it up a bit.

Halibut:
Halibut fishing has been good to excellent now that we are done with the large spring tides. Long Beach, Lighthouse bank and the rats nose have all been producing quality chickens with the odd larger fish in the mix. Berkely power grubs in white and glo fished on a 16 oz. jig has been very productive. Try tipping it with a small piece of belly for added scent. Extra-large herring, octopus and bellies fished on the spreader bar can also be very good. The dogfish have yet to show up so fishing bait has been quiet pleasant without the nuisance of the doggies.

Give us a call or check us out online for current specials and any additional information you may require to make your trip to the west coast memorable.
Tight Lines,

The Crew @ Big Bear

DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

Just had a long time client cancel due to injury. His dates were July 17 and 18

$1600 for both days for up to 3 persons

Hi, brand new member here. Looks like a great forum!

Really nice to see all these reports - I'm headed to Tofino on the 15th for a week of fishing. Dragging my 16ft aluminum with me. Gonna spend most of the time bucktailing for cohos, but hoping to do some downrigging for springs not too far offshore sounds like that is possible. From reading the reports and some other info I've found, it seems like we can find some springs closer in.

Really looking forward to it and am busy tying up bucktails for the trip. Sounds like needlefish are going to be the mainstay.
Will post a report when I get back.

Hey Sasquatch, you have a good resource for bucktail patterns? Im getting a charter on the 13th and 14th and am going to run a fly line on top out the back but not sure where to get some ideas for patterns to tie up. Any help appreciated.

Dereke, I'll look and see what I have for a reference for you. Usually for salt water bucktails, I don't get too fancy. I tie light or white polar bear hair on the bottom with one or two layers of darker hair on top. Add a little flash to the top side and epoxy the head.
I like to either color or attach eyes - I like large eyes - not sure if it makes a difference, but I think it works better.

I don't get carried away with bodies and I'm not sure they matter much. I keep the needlefish imitations really sparse with tinsel bodies.

I'm not an expert on these flies, but the basic patterns I described in a selection of colours has worked well for me so far. Orange, purple or green are my starters. Colour probably depends mostly on sunlight - last time I was in Tofino, orange seemed to outperform the other colours.

Back