Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Hello everyone,

Fishing has been fairly steady lately with multiple fish days and some nice weather. The past few days have been those that fisherman dream about, flat calm seas, sunshine and, not to mention, incredible fishing. Long Beach, Portland Point, and South Bank have all been producing plenty of fish. Hoochie’s and needlefish seem to be the go-to pattern for producing the most action. The inshore fishery has also been producing some decent fish with Meares Bluff and Swale being the major producers. Each boat has come back with full limits of Chinook and it appears that there are a few hatchery Coho starting to show up offshore. Speaking of offshore, there are good numbers of more mature fish starting to arrive and the fishing is getting better every day.

With the nicer weather it allows us to get out and fish for Halibut a little more effectively. There were a number caught the other day off Long Beach with some better fish being brought in. Let’s hope with the end of June quickly approaching we will see much nicer weather and bigger fish showing up for the start July.

From all of us at Big Bear Salmon charters, tight lines and big smiles.

steve.jpg

brett.jpg

Fished Ukee Friday and Saturday this past weekend. Weather was pretty decent, allowing us to head offshore both days. A fair number of boats out on the Lighthouse bank, but fishing was slow for us, and most guys I talked to were saying the same. Friday we headed out late - left the dock at 1 PM, After just a few minutes of trolling we had fish on, it took my buddy a long time to get it to the boat - a very aggressive 26 lb spring! over the next couple of hours we released a couple of wild coho's, landed a smaller spring and a small halibut.

Saturday we headed out at around 8:30 AM trolled for 3 hours and only managed to catch and release a couple of coho's. Decided to head in close to shore - trolled Beg & Crow Isle for 30 minutes - released a ling that was just a hair short of being legal sized. Back at the dock by 1 PM.
3 PM we decided to make a quick run out to the red can - picked up a nice 17 lb spring and then the wind and waves started to pick up significantly, so after just a little more than an hour, we were back at the dock.

No pictures, so I guess it all did not happen after all.

It was great to be back in Ukee!

Last edited by a moderator:
spotty

fished saturday at the red can in the afternoon picked up a 14 lb spring... then weather blew up. fished sunday at south bank and picked up a 15 lb halibut and 10 lb spring... then the steering cable broke on main motor... kicker all the way back to the harbour.

Not to encouraging boys... Heading up Tuesday... but everyday is different up there so our fingers are crossed... both for the fish and weather... Good reports non the less... always good to hear the real deal...
Thanks........

Not to encouraging boys... Heading up Tuesday... but everyday is different up there so our fingers are crossed... both for the fish and weather... Good reports non the less... always good to hear the real deal...
Thanks........

Remember it's called fishing :). Hope you have a great time Brad. Let us know how it went. I'm heading up Friday for the long weekend.

Exactly right Peterman - every day is different - reports from people on the docks from last Friday were excellent - but off course we were not fishing that day.

Overall it should only improve from here on.

We caught some great Halis yesterday , the majority of the salmon were at the Rats nose and the egg just outside it. Lots of smalls to pick threw, but some better ones in there too. Good luck.

Was hoping to find some areas a little closer to the harbour... looks like she might be a little rough for a run to the Rats Nose... 15knots plus... ouch! Has there been some positive reports about the turtles head or south bank.. Im not a pro with the area, so any good starting points would be helpful...
Thanks

The vast majority of the boats were on the lighthouse bank this past weekend, and that is where they were around the same time of last year also - fish move all the time, but the lighthouse bank seems to be a good starting point, and not much further out. The red can is producing some fish too. Good luck!

johan

Sounds good, Enniberg...
and thanks Sculpin, we will give it a good go here...
Back Thurs or Friday, will try to post an accurate report after our trip..

LOTS of bait inside but you have to search for it as it's moving everyday, find the bait and you'll find springs and coho. One day last week we were literally at the harbour mouth and nailing them. Banks have been off and on so chat with folks at the docks as the close banks seem to be on one day, off the next. Seems to be an awful lot of tiny 6-8 pound ping pong paddle butts on South Bank and Lighthouse this year. Lots of coho out there as well in 20-60 feet mostly full of krill. A shallow rod with a trimmed pink sockeye squirt was very effective on the coho. Big needlefish on the banks so stack a couple needlefish hoochies.

Headed back Sunday till ?. I know most of the Ukee spots, but am unclear on how far offshore people are fishing when they refer to fishing "Long Beach" and "Portland Pt", respectively. Any help?

For Portland Pt. - People are usually around 3-4 miles offshore in 120-150' of water. There's several small humps out there. Long beach is the same general gig just a little bit south. Right now, anchovies or a needle fish imitator is the way to go. Find an place where you can follow a reasonably level contour and drop the down rigger until it hits bottom. Then bring it up 5-10'.

Poke your head into Pioneer Boat Works, you can get chart locations for all the offshore fishing areas from a marked up chart they have on their chart table.

I've got a charter booked with Ironnoggin for July 13-14th, hoping some of the bigger boys are around by then! I can't wait it has been near five years since I had a chance to fish the chuck! Counting down the days! Love all the reports...

Derek

I've got a charter booked with Ironnoggin for July 13-14th, hoping some of the bigger boys are around by then! I can't wait it has been near five years since I had a chance to fish the chuck! Counting down the days! Love all the reports...

Derek

Welcome to the site Dereke. Hope you have a great trip and don't wait so long between trips!

Cheers,
John

Derek

Same Dereke from BCFR I presume?

We are over there right after you but fishing with a buddy of my out of Tofino; 16th-20th.

It's epic right now!! 20 hookups on Springs today......releasing 20 lbers, lol.

Back