Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

i too will be heading there, but not shure where to stay, island west or toquart bay. bruce isn't running the show at toquart anymore, so thats good. but a long run if going off shore. hum, o where o where

Easy limits of feeders offshore, and some nice 'nooks being tagged on the afternoon flood at Wilf...

Wish that winds would finally lay down a bit - forecast for this weekend is not particularly great either - if the current weatheroffice prediction is to be relied upon.

Not sure if my vehicle will get fixed in time anyway, so it may be a moot point for me.

Wish that winds would finally lay down a bit - forecast for this weekend is not particularly great either - if the current weatheroffice prediction is to be relied upon.

Not sure if my vehicle will get fixed in time anyway, so it may be a moot point for me.

Yeah the forecast doesn't look stellar that is for sure. I'm heading up anyways and if it's too snotty we can always fish inside the sound.

Fished Great Bear on friday, Long Beach on Saturday, and Howard Point on sunday with pretty good sucess at all three locations. Long Beach definately saw the most action but lots of shakers and smaller average, no flat ones for us. Howard had the biggest fish for the weekend.

Cheers,

Hey All,

The Crew @ Big Bear would like to welcome our newest member to the team “Big Bear 3”. Yet another beautiful 282 Grady White sail fish is now plying the waters off of Ukee. With “Big Bear 4” only a week away, it is shaping up to be and awesome season with great savings and memories of a life time for our guests.

Fishing Report
Barkley Sound
Salmon:
The sound has been excellent over the past week with limits of Chinook hitting the dock. Most fish are in the 8-15 lb. range with a few hitting the 20 lb. mark. Big Bear 1 weighed in a beauty 22 lb 11 oz. Chinook caught by Tim McBeth at Swale Rk. This earns Tim 3rd place on the Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby. Way to go Tim!! There is a lot of firecracker herring in the sound right now so the small spoons and needle fish hootchies have been producing well. Tomics new 3 ½ inch series in the #602, Coyotes 4” in the green glo, blue metallic and army truck finishes are all working. As for hootchies, the glo green splatterback, witch doctor and purple haze will produce. Swale Rk., Harbour Entrance, Meares Bluff and Kirby are all good bets. The high slack seems to be the time to be there but fishing has been consistent throughout the day.

Halibut:
Halibut on the inshore has been productive. Try the 200-300 ft. line in Imperial Eagle Channel. If anchoring or drifting try salmon belly, octopus or lg. herring. If trolling the flatties, try the turd hootchy in white, glo, and the classic brown turd. As well an extra-large herring in a teaser head is quite deadly for these tasty bottom dwellers.

Offshore

Salmon:
The offshore banks have been fishing well when the weather permits. Try inside south, Long Beach and Portland Pt. We have yet to see any of the larger bait such as pilchard or lg. herring show but with the end of the month approaching look for it to bulk up in the masses. Anchovy and herring behind the flasher, 4-5 “ coyotes in all of the favorite finishes as well as the flasher-hootchy combos are all producing chinook. There have also been a few coho showing up in the mix. Look to see these silvery beauties start to arrive in numbers towards the end of the month. Great action on the light tackle that’s for sure.

We have a few select dates available:
$497.00 for two. Eight hours of guided fishing aboard one of our top of the line 282 Sailfish.
June 20th-21st
July 7th, 8th, & 11th
*( you will be paired up with another couple to enjoy great savings and memories that will last you a lifetime)

Have a look at our website for our June special or just give us a call at our office to book your experience of a lifetime.

Tight lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear
www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com
1-877-9-SALMON
1-250-726-7263

1-2012-06-14120443.jpg

1-2012-06-08143314.jpg

Wet Weekend!!!

Well we finally made it out West on the weekend. Friday afternoon chipstealer and myself headed up to Salmon Beach for the weekend. I was a little disorganized as usual for the first trip of the year lol.

The rig parked at the Tseshaht Market.

IMG_2607.jpg

Setting up camp in the pissing rain.

IMG_2611.jpg

Late dinner of champions lol. Canned ham and hashbrowns!

IMG_2612.jpg

My buddy and his son met us up there early the next morning and we ventured offshore on the lighthouse bank to try some hali fishing and salmon fishing. No love in the halibut department but we caught a couple of small springs in the rough stuff and monsoon rains. I'm sure if we stuck it out we would have caught more and bigger. The wee ones were caught in pretty short order.

A short vid of the conditions that were to be all day long! "Am I supposed to smile for this?" LOL!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was getting pretty snotty out there and we caught a couple of small springs before deciding to head for the barn. Heres one for the barbeque caught by my buddies son.

IMG_2615.jpg

I got to drive in off the banks with the pissing rain, southeast wind blowing, and waves splashing with no windshield wipers!!!!

We headed in closer to land and tried a spot I have been wanting to try for a couple of years now for ling cod.

Lings all around. Everyone hooked up multiple lings and we had a blast on these humps. Non stop action pretty much.

Bart (chipstealer) with one.

IMG_2623.jpg

My buddy with one.

IMG_2617.jpg

This one gave me quite the battle and was really fun reeling it in.

IMG_2628.jpg

We were all completely soaked but we trolled around Great Bear for a little bit to end the day with no love. Bart and myself stayed up Saturday night as well and tried fishing this morning around Mearse. We saw a ton of forum members out and I briefly got to yell hello to OBH and him back at me lol. No luck for us and my rear HDS10 blew a fuse or something so we headed in. We took the long way home and saw lot's of boats fishing Swale Rock. We cruised around to Toquart Bay to check out the new development going in there. Interesting place with a new marina and the works. Marked lot's of bait balls inside of Lyle Pt. and Toquart Bay.

Anyways will be back up next weekend in hopefully drier weather lol. See you on the water.
Cheers,
John

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the diesel forced air heater was the bomb and was on the whole time we were on the water. It was a major bonus on Saturday!!!

Nice report John! Glad that your boat performed well - I can imagine that heater must be amazing on those cold and wet days off shore - I need to put in an application to deck hand on the MV Sculpin! :D

Nice report John! Glad that your boat performed well - I can imagine that heater must be amazing on those cold and wet days off shore - I need to put in an application to deck hand on the MV Sculpin! :D

Thanks Johan. She performed almost well. Blew the connections on the windshield wipers (corroded) so I need to fix them. The HDS10 crapped out on me today but I think it's a simple fix. Other than that though she was a trooper.

Cheers,
John

Out in Ukee saturday, caught 2 14lb springs in very rough water... some american crew beside us limited in short order off of amphrite point - very impressive, they had a triple header going on as we decided to pack it in. Talked to them at the dock, they fished small spoons and coho killers. We used small 3 inch TKO and kitchen sink.

Hey John,
where were you hiding when I dropped bye Sat. night.... :)

We must of been up two lots at the neighbors cabin drying out (clothes that is) LOL. Too bad we didn't hook up. Did you make it out fishing? Steve's new reel worked great by the way:cool:.

Dumped the Boat in the water late Sat after that rain final back off... fished a hr Sunday afternoon killed a 14lber..everything is set to go now... :)

I was out Sat/Sun with my daughters got 6 in the teens over the two days weather could have been better for sure but we don't get out much together so we still had a good time, would like to come back and try for Hali.

I was out Sat/Sun with my daughters got 6 in the teens over the two days weather could have been better for sure but we don't get out much together so we still had a good time, would like to come back and try for Hali.

Yeah the weather sucked for sure. Glad you got some fish though.

Hali fishing is great right now

Back