Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Hey guys and gals,

Hello from Ucluelet B.C. Well the weather is turning around and with it the fishing. The Crew @ Big Bear has been putting in the hours with some decent results.
The fish seem to be moving daily so it has been a little tough to keep on top of them. The Lighthouse Bank, Outside south bank and Barkely Sound have all been our best bets. Fishing the offshore deep and I mean right on the bottom is the ticket right now. The fish have yet to switch over to baitfish so the hootchie seems to be the go to gear. Try the green splatterback, witch doctor or armytruck. The needle fish patterns in the purple haze, lemon drop and blue green glo are taking fish in the sound consistently.
Halibut fishing is in full swing with a few chickens hitting the dock regularly. Word has it that the hali’s have been quite plentiful off of Long Beach and Florencia. Large herring, octopus and bellies will entice these tasty bottom dwellers. Also, drop the flasher and hootchie into the sand and troll them up if drifting is not your thing.
Look to see the first push of migratory fish to show up anytime. Reports from our partners up north say there are decent numbers south of Esperanza, so it’s a matter of time before we see these fish on our doorstep. Water temperatures over the last few days seem to be holding around 54 degrees. Combine this with the biomass of baitfish and we are in for a great start to the 2012 season on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.
Please give us a call if you want an up to the minute report or some information on how to get set up and out there fishing on the B.C. Coast.
1-855-9 (SALMON)
www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com
Cheers,
The Crew @ Big Bear

Good morning,
was thinking of trailering up from port to uki this weekend, any new info_Offshore? I have a 22 double Eagle and the seas look good for sat and sun

Lance

Big Bear Salmon Charters June 4 Update

Good Day,

The Crew @ Big Bear would like to welcome everyone into the month of June with a stellar fishing report. With the start of a new month comes the start of our migratory runs.

Fishing over the weekend has been nothing but magnificent. Things did slow with the moon, but look for it to turn right back on over the next few days. There is a large bio-mass of Chinook salmon in the area now. Long Beach up to Portland pt. has been on fire. Avg. sizes are between 8-15 lbs. with a number of fish hitting the 20 lb. mark. It has been a primarily flasher-hootchy fishery. Our goto colour has been the glo splatterback. Other variations in the army truck, witch doctor and glo green are also producing consistently. The green glo, red glo, and purple and gold hotspots have been the flashers of choice. Sunday produced a number of fish in Barkley Sound. Anchovy was working well in the glo green, and u.v. Ryse Davis teasers. Big Bear 2 also saw the first significant amount of herring in the area. Lets hope that is the start of the

The halibut fishing has been equally as good in the same general areas as the salmon. Drop the gear into the mud and expect fish in the 15 to 40 lb. range. There was a 70 lb. fish trolled up the other day so give it a try. For the hali gear, large herring, octopus and bellies are producing equally.

Look for things to get only better with numbers and size as the runs strengthen over the next few weeks. Give us a call or go online to check out availability.
Cheers,
The Crew @ Big Bear

1-855-9 (SALMON)
www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

Great to see another good report from Ukee. We are planning to head over this coming weekend. Can hardly wait to get out and catch some fish again!

Anyone else from this board going to be there this weekend?

Great to see another good report from Ukee. We are planning to head over this coming weekend. Can hardly wait to get out and catch some fish again!

I am planning on it but don't hold your breath lol. If I finally make it Enniberg I will be looking for that Arima for sure.

Come on John, last year you started in August or September - you've got catching up to do - no more excuses! :)

Seriously, hope to see you out there this summer!

johan

Come on John, last year you started in August or September - you've got catching up to do - no more excuses! :)

Seriously, hope to see you out there this summer!

johan

All the reports are killing me already ha ha. I will be up there this weekend for sure for my sanity lol.

You know what though. I had one of the shortest seasons last year but one of the best and most memorable ones as well.

Thanks johan.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the reports coming BigBear! I'll be there Monday - Thursday of next week. Let me know if any of you guys will be around.

Hope you like big winds, lol.

Hope you like big winds, lol.

Come thursday I will take a closer look at the forecast - if the big winds you are forecasting are true, I may wait a few days.

The differential in my towing rig started to make some unpleasant noises and my mechanic tells me it has to be replaced - that puts an end to my dream of fishing Ukee this weekend. Boat is already there, just waiting to be put to good use - makes it even harder to wait! :(

Looking for some Ukee fishing tips. Offshore and inshore. Going June 21,22,23. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Off Shore if you can get out, weather this time of year is hit or iss. Try Turrtle Head, South Bank and Starfish.

I actually like how this thread is NOT a sticky. It will still be here when all those sticky threads are nuked next year. I really don't like how that happens as it is nice to go back and look at previous years reports.

The sticky threads don't get nuked; they just get "unstuck" and drop down the lists. Go to Advanced search, choose search title only and type in 2011 reports. You will see all the stickies from last year.

The sticky threads don't get nuked; they just get "unstuck" and drop down the lists. Go to Advanced search, choose search title only and type in 2011 reports. You will see all the stickies from last year.

Thanks trendsetter. I feel like a just had a blonde moment lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishtofino or Tofinofish what's happening lately? From past experience when you guys aren't posting it's because your tired of catching, hauling, and cleaning!

I'm going to play hooky on Friday and make it a long fathers day weekend and finally head out West.

I'm on my way out there right now for my honeymoon. How's the fishing? We might want to head out on the water tomorrow or the next day.

I'm heading over this weekend with my daughters for some fathers day weekend fishing looking for any info on what the catching is like.

Just came back from Uke. Long beach was going strong as well as inside lighthouse bank and inside south bank. Good luck!

Back