Tofino & Ucluelet Reports - Spring-Summer 2012

Heading up Friday night for the long weekend. Wow big difference from last year with my August start lol. Sea trialed the boat last weekend and she runs like a champ. Can't wait. I will be tying up tackle all week getting ready.

Thanks for all the great reports so far folks. Hope to add a few myself shortly. See you on the water.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Will look forward to a detailed report as per usual Sculpin! I'm not there until June 11th but counting every single minute.

Tofino Saltwater May 7th 13th

Chinook are a little scattered with the Westerlys pushing through, but they are out there. Seems like the offshore snap has been mid day, with Chovies, 4 inch spoons (Oki Kinetic chartruese) and dark Octopus and Needlfish like the 155 (Marty's) Portland Pt. Three Humps and Cleland Isl. best...
Halibut are out there in good numbers with a few breaking 50 over the last 5 days, and lots in the 30s. Salmon Bellies and Herring, with the odd White Power Bait producing, and no Dogfish seen so far this season.
Updated info always available by calling 1-888-534-7422 or stopping in at Tofino Fly & Tackle. Busy week ahead, with more Sun and Salmon in the forecast.

and no Dogfish seen so far this season

That's great news Jay. Can't wait for the long weekend. I'll try to stop in at the shop to finally meet you. We are probably going to launch in Tofino and stay at Shawn's place if he will have us lol. We want to cruise uphill a ways for some bottom fishing that weekend to a good spot we know. Thanks for all the great reports.
Cheers,
John

That's great news Jay. Can't wait for the long weekend. I'll try to stop in at the shop to finally meet you. We are probably going to launch in Tofino and stay at Shawn's place if he will have us lol. We want to cruise uphill a ways for some bottom fishing that weekend to a good spot we know. Thanks for all the great reports.
Cheers,
John

Hope to see you then John. Should be a great weekend, especially if the normal Mid-May wave of Chinook Salmon shows up! There are trickling through right now but due to show up in thick numbers and broader shoulders any tide now......Bottomfishing is always reliable there ;)

The Chinooks are thick as thieves off of Tofino right now

Friday............5 for 8

may18-2.jpg

Saturday.....7 for 10

may19.jpg

Sunday........ 6 for 10 in 2 hours

may20.jpg

At least 2 in the 20's each morning.

Off the topic a bit, but, can anyone tell me what is the direction of tidal flow during both flood and ebb, on the banks off Ucluelet?
I`ve read that it flows North-West on both flood and ebb. Is this correct?
Lure-washer

Off the topic a bit, but, can anyone tell me what is the direction of tidal flow during both flood and ebb, on the banks off Ucluelet?
I`ve read that it flows North-West on both flood and ebb. Is this correct?
Lure-washer

It's a natural current that usually goes to the NW, but not always

The tides offshore don't have as much effect as within 3 miles of shore in our area

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mid May Chinook run we have been waiting for has definitely arrived as Shawn has outlined above. One of the better May Long Weekends in some time, with great Weather and Great Fishing.

This repeat Group from the Edmonton area enjoyed their Annual Tofino Fishing trip with Sunshine on Saturday and great Fishing. The Two Boat group was split between the Guys and Gals, with the Gals winning the "Derby" by bringing home the Groceries. Lady luck? maybe, but with smiles like that the Fish should have been jumping in the boat..

Attachments

• Leoni 5.jpg
    Leoni 5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Leoni 1.jpg
    Leoni 1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 137
  • Leoni 2.jpg
    Leoni 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5098.jpg
    IMG_5098.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 143
Sunday was not quite as Bright and Sunny, but the approaching low pressure system didn't seem to effect the Salmon bite for our other boats. My group was content to focus on Halibut for the day, which ended up just fine even though the Salmon action going on was tempting us between bites. At the end of the Day, the 4 Halibut limit weighing in at 200lbs was just fine for my repeat group from the Comox and Qualicum area. Also a pic of one of our boats paying us a visit after catching a very respectable limit of Salmon. They had room for one more Halibut on the card, but snapped off a good one beside the boat right after this pic was taken...Happy Crew regardless of the big one getting away.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 206
Sounds like a great May long weekend in TOFINO!!! Awesome reports guys. Sitting here kicking myself for bailing but work comes first. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great May long weekend in TOFINO!!! Awesome reports guys. Sitting here kicking myself for bailing but work comes first. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
John

I was wondering what happened John..Too bad you missed Saturday, Sunday PM was not so great for weather. Should be steady action from here on so will catch you when you come up next.

Intense low pressure for a few days may have played a roll on Salmon bite yesterday, as it was limited...in other words - Very Slow.
This should change with barometer and forecast stabalizing over the next couple days.
Still good Halibut action within 6 miles of the beach.
Boats out today so hope to provide positive update.

a buddy of mine was out over may long and did some cod and hali fishin. he was new to the area but still managed to get into a few small hali and lings

a buddy of mine was out over may long and did some cod and hali fishin. he was new to the area but still managed to get into a few small hali and lings

Good to hear...We are seeing quite a few "local" Islanders and more from the Mainland and Alberta, arriving to fish the Tofino area over the past few seasons. The word is out that the action is hard to beat on many days.

Bringing your own boat for the first time? Stop in at Tofino Fly & Tackle just before the launch ramp at 4th street and we'll help get you dialed in. Discounts offered for SFBC members.

Hey all,

The long weekend has come and gone and with it some great guests. The crew @ Big Bear was busy with working the usual inshore areas with mixed success..
The fishing was a little hit and miss in the sound over the last few days, basically find the bait and you will find fish. Austin Isl, Cree Isl, and Sail rock were all producing fish to 15 lbs. The hootchie in the needle fish patterns were the ticket. Green Glo splatterback, purple haze and the lemon drop were all taking fish. The fish seem to be a little shallower than usual for this time of year. Depths from 60 to 100 feet were holding both the bait and the fish.
Word has it that the first push of migratory fish are sitting just north of us, so with a little help from mother nature over the next few days and a little NW, we should see the Ucluelet area light it up. There are also a number of Humpbacks starting to show up, that can only mean one thing. BAIT. Look to start working some of the offshore areas such as the Turtles Head, South Bank and Southwest Corner. All great bets once the bait and then the fish have moved in.
Give us a call 1-855-9 (SALMON) or check us out online www.bigbearsalmoncharters.com

Tight lines,
The Crew @ Big Bear

Too small for outside

Good Morning is there anyone out in Tofino that fishes in a small boat 15 ft or less on the inside that could shed some light on decent spots sheltered enough for a 14ft lund with 15 hp no riggers possibly for cod and the odd salmon. I have fished the outside for years Hyson and such but now am faced with small boat poor syndrome. I remember seeing the smaller boats at Weigh West dock going out flyfishing so I would imagine they are somewhere on the inside close to shelter if needed. Any advice would be great. Cheers

Still some fish around. Went 4 for 8 plus trolled up 3 chicken Halibut on a quick morning trip with some Newfie clients

May26.jpg

Just got back from 3 days fishing offshore in Ucluelet. Thursday was a great day on inner South Bank. We limited on Chinook, with the biggest fish approaching 20 pounds.

Friday we hit the Wreck with no luck. Went back to South Bank and picked off a few 12-14 pounders and a couple of chicken halibut. Lots of <5 lb rats on the lines.

Saturday was rat day. Again we picked off a few 10-14 pounders, but they were few and far between. Virtually all of the fish we caught on hoochies down on the bottom.

Every fish was full of *big* needle fish.

Back