the popemobile is getting tired

Why does the windshield make my forehead look like a fivehead in that pic? Maybe my forehead really is that big and Im just realizing it now... Nice camerawork either way Stizz!

This is the transducer mount. Pretty crowded little spot with the pod, swimgrid, zinc, trim tab, raw water intake, etc. Im thinking the sonar beam might be echoing or being blocked by some of the other stuff under there.

View attachment 64369View attachment 64370View attachment 64371View attachment 64372

And this is what I see upon startup for the sonar. The charts load fine, I took this as soon as it started up so the chart hasnt loaded yet but it does after a second or two.
View attachment 64373

Me thinks your getting dirty water from the intake or the trim tabs hitting the transducer.

Just a gorgeous boat. blown away

Yeah, that through hull (drain??) is definitely going to be affecting the smooth water - or lack thereof - for the transducer. Gotta find a new spot to mount the transducer

One of the things I see that’s stands out is that raw water intake is right in front of the transducer. Thats definitely going to screw it up when under way. Certainly doesn’t explain you’re electronic issues but that’s alone shows it has to be moved.
if it's that crowded on the other side of the motor you should probably put in a through hull transducer in front of any obstacles. HWSS175 would be awesome.

This is the transducer mount. Pretty crowded little spot with the pod, swimgrid, zinc, trim tab, raw water intake, etc. Im thinking the sonar beam might be echoing or being blocked by some of the other stuff under there.

First off congrats on the new ride.....very sexy! Second and I might take heat on this but the transducer placement is probably in the worst possible location. Lots going on in that spot with the tabs....bottom chine? And even the anode to the side. I have a similar mount but it is at the back of the boat on the pod. I’m sure you could tune it up to work when trolling but running may be an issue in the spot....

View attachment 64369View attachment 64370View attachment 64371View attachment 64372

And this is what I see upon startup for the sonar. The charts load fine, I took this as soon as it started up so the chart hasnt loaded yet but it does after a second or two.
View attachment 64373

Why does the windshield make my forehead look like a fivehead in that pic? Maybe my forehead really is that big and Im just realizing it now... Nice camerawork either way Stizz!
Dont worry, nobody noticed. everyone is either looking at the boat or the cutie in the plaid!

So my issues with the sounder could be setup/options related, or they could be stemming from how the transducer is mounted.

When I start up the unit (split screen mode) the charts load fine, but the sounder side starts in the *stopped* mode, so every time I start it up I have to go into the options and unselect the stop sonar option. Once I do that it usually gets a reading but the bottom isnt as detailed as Im used to from my lowrance units, and after I get on a step it loses its reading and defaults to auto:10ft mode until I manually set the depth mode (say 200ft as an example) and then reselect auto after it finds the bottom again so I can troll. There also seems to be some echoing of whatever it picks up with the sonar, as in it will show the same object detected at various depths from surface to ocean floor several times, all identical, and all in a line.

Ill go snap a couple pics quickly and see if anybody has any ideas.
Try adjusting the ping rate to get rid of bottom echo. Not sure why you would be getting an echo mid water column but maybe ping would fix that too. Low bottom detail may be related to the frequency you have selected. If it is a 50/200khz transducer try selecting 200.

My Yamaha T8 does the same thing in a turn. My cables are getting tired and where the cable mounts to the motor is a bit warn - I suspect this is my issue. Maybe check to see if those are all seated correctly.

I think you guys are right on the placement of the transducer. Ideally Id like to move it to the back of the pod so if it gets bumped by a log or something I can readjust it without having to go for a swim under the swimgrid. Its a stepped pod but I dont think that would cause any problems. Ill ask the guys at SG when I drop my boat off what they think.

Ive tried all kinds of settings, 50khz, 200khz, high chirp, low chirp, reset to default. It just wont get a good reading with clear details like Im used to from lowrance units.

The boat is a beauty. Thanks for the pics. Now we know what boat to follow around if we want to catch fish. Not as easy to pick out of a crowd as the Popemobile was though. Congrats.

Back