Downrigger getting tired?

Lewy

One of my riggers has been acting up over the summer, still usable, but a bit odd the way it behaves when we bring up the ball.
Turning the switch starts to bring it up then all of a sudden after bringing in maybe 15-20 ft., it'll stop for about 5 secs then start again. Happens maybe 3 times on the way up from say 75 ft.

Anyone have similar issue? New spools so no warping BTW

If you are anywhere near Sidney take it up to Scotty manufacturing and let them know the issue. they will fix or replace parts as needed under warranty.

If you are too far away call them. If its just a part that needs swapping they will mail it to you. I've called them about something and they offered to mail it.

thanks guys, aware I could take it in and yes I'm in Victoria so no problem there. Just prefer to sort it out myself and not bother them if it's something simple

One of my riggers has been acting up over the summer, still usable, but a bit odd the way it behaves when we bring up the ball.
Turning the switch starts to bring it up then all of a sudden after bringing in maybe 15-20 ft., it'll stop for about 5 secs then start again. Happens maybe 3 times on the way up from say 75 ft.

Anyone have similar issue? New spools so no warping BTW
Needs a new Circuit breaker

It just may be a little too tight on the nut on top of the counter. I have an older one that I need to loosen a bit occasionally particularly if I’m fishing in really deep water like at French Creek (over 200’)

It starts retrieving ok, then slows down like it’s labouring then trips the circuit breaker. After about 10 seconds it will go again. 9/16 deep socket and small amount of loosening and it’s happy again.

That being said a full service is a good idea and circuit breakers are an easy fix too. Hopefully it’s not water in the motor compartment. Have had that happen too. When they short out and die the smell is unique😎

It just may be a little too tight on the nut on top of the counter. I have an older one that I need to loosen a bit occasionally particularly if I’m fishing in really deep water like at French Creek (over 200’)

It starts retrieving ok, then slows down like it’s labouring then trips the circuit breaker. After about 10 seconds it will go again. 9/16 deep socket and small amount of loosening and it’s happy again.

That being said a full service is a good idea and circuit breakers are an easy fix too. Hopefully it’s not water in the motor compartment. Have had that happen too. When they short out and die the smell is unique😎
Needs a new Circuit breaker
Where's the circuit breaker located on the unit?

Hey thanks I'll give it a try - if I need a circuit breaker, where on the unit is it located?

Hey thanks I'll give it a try - if I need a circuit breaker, where on the unit is it located?
1099-1100-1101-1106-1116.jpg

Do you mean the 30 amp inline fuse when you say circuit breaker? If so, it is located on the power line that connects the downrigger to the power source/battery.

Last edited:
Had the same problem as you Lewy, couldn't quite figure it out after reading some threads on this forum and online and trying different fixes, ended up taking it to Scotty and they had them back to me within the week like new. Have had zero problems since.

The other electrical possibility is the electrical relay. It’s connected to the circuit breaker and motor etc.

That being said if you feel somewhat electrically inclined carefully take apart the motor cover and have a look. If water has gotten inside you will know. Not hard to replace any of the parts as it’s really basic. I have fixed old downriggers quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.png
    IMG_1302.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 22
Any Scotty Tech can diagnose and fix these things easily. They are not complicated. I still think your nyloc nut is too tight. Could have a slightly warped spool that is binding a bit. As you pick up the cannonball everything heats up and at a curtain point the circuit breaker does its job and shuts it down for a bit (before you blow your inline 40 amp fuse if it’s wired correctly)

Last edited:
I'll try slackening the nyloc first, we're fishing tomorrow at Becher. If the same afterwards I'll get a circuit breaker/motor gasket and replace it. I might even take the thing in but bad time of year for putting fishing on hold even for a week, right?

Any Scotty Tech can diagnose and fix these things easily. They are not complicated. I still think your nyloc nut is too tight. Could have a slightly warped spool that is binding a bit. As you pick up the cannonball everything heats up and at a curtain point the circuit breaker does its job and shuts it down for a bit (before you blow your inline 40 amp fuse if it’s wired correctly)
Seems like you are suggesting a 40 amp fuse is the proper way to do these.

Back