Downrigger getting tired?

Here is where the braid separated my spool. Split it on what appears to be the factory joint of the two halves. I threw out the other half and it had the flange breaking away from the drum.

IMG_8856.jpegIMG_8855.jpegIMG_8858.jpegIMG_8857.jpeg

Last edited:
A friend of mine is a Scotty service rep. He days that issue of warped or split spools is due to the guide being out of alignment. This causes the line to load unevenly usually toward the top of the spool.

A friend of mine is a Scotty service rep. He days that issue of warped or split spools is due to the guide being out of alignment. This causes the line to load unevenly usually toward the top of the spool.
But does he say that the spools only split when there is a cannonball hung up on a rock etc. and the braid cinches tight and cuts through the spool? And the alignment issue is part of it?

I think extremely hot and cold days play a role.

But does he say that the spools only split when there is a cannonball hung up on a rock etc. and the braid cinches tight and cuts through the spool? And the alignment issue is part of it?
Just saying what he says.
Been covering the whole north island for many years.

If that is happening you need to adjust your brake.
Which is super easy to do.
Swing your rigger inside your boat, attach two cannon balls and adjust the tension nut until it can just barely hold them off the deck of your boat.
I use 2x15 balls then with light hand pressure the break releases. @33lbs.
Scotty suggests 30-40 lb from memory.

Last edited:
interesting. Mono can swell and warp spools on reels…you would think it would make quick work of piece of plastic?
i dont install it with any load and never even get (down) close to it to make the mono tighten.. i think it acts as a cushion really.

i dont install it with any load and never even get (down) close to it to make the mono tighten.. i think it acts as a cushion really.
Is braid swelling and cracking the spool bottom as we have seen? Has anyone cracked a spool with ss cable?

Back