the popemobile is getting tired

She a beauty looking boat, great lines and colour scheme, I’m sure somebody will be happy with it the way it is. Nice to hear that you and the builder have worked it out. Hope #2 proves to be just what you want.

So heres a more concrete update, as promised.

It looks like my builder will sell the boat he already built, and restart my build some time around mid january, with an estimate build time of 2-2.5 months. All my equipment is installed on the boat he already built (lets call it boat #1), but we agree that its easier to just sell it as is and replace the equipment for the new build (lets call that one boat #2). So hopefully #1 will sell reasonably quickly and for a fair price, and if thats the case then theres no harm done and everythings good in the hood. Ive asked that #2 be essentially the same, but with 6 inch higher freeboard, and a higher seated deck. Its going to cost me more money than the first build but ig thats the cost of getting exactly what I want.

As far as boat #1 goes, its solid and will serve somebody well. Unfortunately it wouldnt have been capable of everything I wanted to do with it, but for most sportfishermen it will be an incredible vessel. I hope it can go to a good home and that whoever buys it will be happy with their purchase. For my stability test, I loaded it up in the back corner with more than enough weight to pass the TC test, and while the deck did sit underneath the waterline under these extreme conditions, water didnt enter the deck because of the pingpong style scuppers. I think its a perfectly capable vessel for ECVI and inshore WCVI under any normal fishable conditions, as well as offshore WCVI on calmer days or when loaded at less than max capacity. Im the kind of guy who tends to err on the side of caution with these things, so maybe a braver soul would have a different opinion.

If all goes well with boat #2, I expect it will be capable of all of the above, as well as venturing offshore on rougher days, and making longer commutes like from Hardy to Rivers. Im not saying Ill be looking to take a boatload of people offshore in rough seas, but I do want it to be capable of doing such things without feeling im putting myself or anyone else in danger.

With all of that said, I must say Im very appreciative of my builders flexibility and willingness to work through things with me. My biggest fear was that I could be left with no choice but to accept a boat that I wasnt quite happy with, or worse - a legal battle. Thankfully it didnt come to that! He can definitely build an incredible boat, and going forward I have no concerns after having seen his work first hand and knowing we're on the same page now. It wouldnt be fair if I didnt accept my share of the blame, as I think it was more of a miscommunication or misunderstanding than anything else.

Anyways heres a pic of the finished product (boat #1)
View attachment 59698
You and your builder are good souls

It looks like my builder will sell the boat he already built, and restart my build some time around mid january, with an estimate build time of 2-2.5 months. All my equipment is installed on the boat he already built (lets call it boat #1), but we agree that its easier to just sell it as is and replace the equipment for the new build (lets call that one boat #2). So hopefully #1 will sell reasonably quickly and for a fair price, and if thats the case then theres no harm done and everythings good in the hood. Ive asked that #2 be essentially the same, but with 6 inch higher freeboard, and a higher seated deck. Its going to cost me more money than the first build but ig thats the cost of getting exactly what I want.

As far as boat #1 goes, its solid and will serve somebody well. Unfortunately it wouldnt have been capable of everything I wanted to do with it, but for most sportfishermen it will be an incredible vessel. I hope it can go to a good home and that whoever buys it will be happy with their purchase. For my stability test, I loaded it up in the back corner with more than enough weight to pass the TC test, and while the deck did sit underneath the waterline under these extreme conditions, water didnt enter the deck because of the pingpong style scuppers. I think its a perfectly capable vessel for ECVI and inshore WCVI under any normal fishable conditions, as well as offshore WCVI on calmer days or when loaded at less than max capacity. Im the kind of guy who tends to err on the side of caution with these things, so maybe a braver soul would have a different opinion.

If all goes well with boat #2, I expect it will be capable of all of the above, as well as venturing offshore on rougher days, and making longer commutes like from Hardy to Rivers. Im not saying Ill be looking to take a boatload of people offshore in rough seas, but I do want it to be capable of doing such things without feeling im putting myself or anyone else in danger.

With all of that said, I must say Im very appreciative of my builders flexibility and willingness to work through things with me. My biggest fear was that I could be left with no choice but to accept a boat that I wasnt quite happy with, or worse - a legal battle. Thankfully it didnt come to that! He can definitely build an incredible boat, and going forward I have no concerns after having seen his work first hand and knowing we're on the same page now. It wouldnt be fair if I didnt accept my share of the blame, as I think it was more of a miscommunication or misunderstanding than anything else.

View attachment 59698
That’s amazing news Colin!
Best case scenario... that boat looks incredible

Just curious did your builders not supply you with a drawing with all specs and measurements before he started the build?

Just curious did your builders not supply you with a drawing with all specs and measurements before he started the build?
Nope, although I didnt ask either. I got some rough sketches and a small tin model. He was pretty up front about building it from scratch without schematics but he did say he could get drawings for me if I wanted.

View attachment 59698
I wish I could hit the like button more than once. Great outcome and looking forward to the 2.0 build thread. Love the quality of both the build and the ethics of you and the boat builder.

Oly

Nope, although I didnt ask either. I got some rough sketches and a small tin model. He was pretty up front about building it from scratch without schematics but he did say he could get drawings for me if I wanted.
Not sure how you are moving forward,but I would make sure everything is on paper and signed off by both parties.
As a home builder I know how things can get lost in confusion very quickly.Thats why I ensure everything is documented and signed by customer.

I have only has one aluminium built by Doug at Northwest aluminium and was supplied with all dimensions,so there was no confusion.

Glad you guys worked it out.

Not sure how you are moving forward,but I would make sure everything is on paper and signed off by both parties.
As a home builder I know how things can get lost in confusion very quickly.Thats why I ensure everything is documented and signed by customer.

I have only has one aluminium built by Doug at Northwest aluminium and was supplied with all dimensions,so there was no confusion.

Glad you guys worked it out.
We will have a contract in place for this build, even though the build is pretty much set in stone already and I dont foresee any confusion this time around. Both of us agreed it would be for the best moving forward

We will have a contract in place for this build, even though the build is pretty much set in stone already and I dont foresee any confusion this time around. Both of us agreed it would be for the best moving forward
I have been lurking on this thread from day 1 trying not to chime in for fear of being misinterpreted :)!( I'm just a simple man with simple needs ) re: "Sam Malone". Glad to hear of " collaboration" not " compromise"(where there are no winners). re post # 58 please ensure the" Scope" of the project and also what is not in the" Scope" or there will be "Scope Bite " which was narrowly avoided in this build , also weekly or bi weekly " Site Visits" sounds like your on the Mainland and Build is in C R could include travel in the total cost for piece of mind .:) Best Regards

Did he give you a idea of build cost on the 1st boat ? PM if that’s better

I have been waiting patiently and saving for a 17-18’ runabout style build. I have always wanted a Eaglecraft custom but have been looking around at different styles and builders. I just know it’s easier to put a price on something that’s sitting built than something that is being designed and changed as it’s built.

I know what he was going to charge me for it, as well as what he quoted me. I also know he went way over budget on time and because he quoted me a certain price, he cut me a real break on the final build price. Im not sure what hes going to sell it for, which is what youre asking in a roundabout way I think?

Ill send u a PM.

Just a thought but maybe something in the way the linkage is rigged in. Maybe it’s pulling on the cable on the hard turn.
I had the same issue on my Hewes, throttle cable too short/ tight. Would pull the cable on one turn and push the cable on the other turn hence the lowering of rpms and increase in rpms. A longer cable should fix the problem.

I cleaned up the unnecessary mess in this thread from last night. There is a point where asking a question or offering an opinion crosses the line into looking for a fight. As others indicated, sometimes it's just better to leave things left unsaid or have a private conversation if you feel the need to speak up.

I cleaned up the unnecessary mess in this thread from last night. There is a point where asking a question or offering an opinion crosses the line into looking for a fight. As others indicated, sometimes it's just better to leave things left unsaid or have a private conversation if you feel the need to speak up.
Thanks for cleaning it up. A lot of good content here!

No real updates atm. I signed a contract a week or so ago detailing the new build. Builder said he would start the new build mid January and should be finished in about 2.5 months, so by April. I havent heard anything since signing and emailing the contact, so hopefully that all remains true.

New boat will be very similar to the last one, but with higher sides and a higher sitting deck. Due to the sides being higher the boat will also be about 6 inches longer.

It sucks not having a boat!

Back