Sockeye in port alberni

Yes....rain is the enemy of good soc fishing...........

I hope you're being sarcastic, because there is a lot of truth to high water and rain impacting the Sockeye. Last year, they shot right up, there was no schooling of fish. Had nothing to do with mismanagement, unlike the Springs.

Buddy blames DFO? how about in the 80s -10 mill in funding for Chinooks in 2011 1.5-2million. Look at the government funding before you start pointing fingers.

Any word on how the gillnetters did this week?

Any reports atall? thinking about trying on the weekend...

Big Green Machine:- no...I wasn't being sarcastic.
If you get lots of melting snowpack in the hills combined with lots of steady rain, the river water temp and depth will be such that the sockeye are free to go up the rivers at will. And they do.
The less melting snowpack and the less rain (which equals lower river temp and less depth), the more likelyhood the rivers will be too warm or not enough water for them. That's when they school up and get snarly.

well this June has been the shats just like last June - so for those optimists out there, is the run going to just rip right on up the river and actually have a decent spawn? or will there be enough rec, com and FN harvest to make a dent in the "350,000"?

Picked up six today. Saw quite a few caught just outside of china creek. hopefully get a few more tomorrow befor the commies open

had about a dozen hits, only landed 2 this AM off cous creek.

seiners in on Monday despite being before escapement and before the long weekend...:mad:

had about a dozen hits, only landed 2 this AM off cous creek.

seiners in on Monday despite being before escapement and before the long weekend...:mad:

You got to be kidding.

350 000 fish run and they will start seining in June!!

DFO won't be happy until there is not a fish swimming on the west coast.

went out this morning for sockeye - late start for us, lines in the water by 6am and fished until 930 between Cous and China Creek.

only had 4 hits today, landed 2 and only 1 was decent size to keep. one lost at the side of the boat as well. All the gear thrown at them in the usual depths.

Most boats we talked to had none - 1 or 2... a few boats with some decent counts though, including our pals who had their 8 by 9am in the same area. Still seems a bit spotty overall for sure, most fish were smaller size that we saw coming in.

Came back from the sound last night with room for a few on my licence ;-)
A few places up the inlet showed jumpers last night: Pocahantas, Hocking, etc. Looked promising.
Hoping for some sockeye this morning... the word last night was optimistic.
Lines wet at 4:30am, one hit and boxed it at 5:45am, had to leave at 7am. Only had the one hit. A TON of weed and wood in the water.
Watched all other boats around me, and only saw a handful of nets out, so not a lot of action in the entire fleet.
Was kind of hoping to read that I had left before the bite but it does appear to be spotty.
My one sockeye was on the table at 5:45pm tonight, my daughter did the first fresh sockeye of the year justice - you can't beat sockeye on the plate!

Commercial opening in a few days, wish I could hit it again before then!

Sunday was great early, lots of sevens of lone tree...fisheries reported 96 alone from there. Commercial opening has slowed things since then but Saturday forward is looking great for sustained high pressure. Hopefully they will school up like years before....I pulled my boat yesterday for maintenance and the river is full of them

Lance

anyone been out lately?
We are heading over today for the night...
Smiley.

Back