Sockeye in port alberni

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 4 – 2013 Date: July 4, 2013
Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast:
Somass (Great Central and Sproat) 350,000 (range: 300,000 to 500,000);
Henderson Lake sockeye outlook ~ 15,000
Escapement to July 1: ~ 113,121 Adults (32,869 Great Central, 80,252 Sproat Lake)
Escapement will be monitored closely through the weekend.
Test Fishery: July 1-2: Estimate 5,000 inside 10-mile Point; 15,000 outside
Expected Somass Stock Composition: 45% Great Central, 55% Sproat Sockeye
Expected Somass Age Composition: 68%, 27%, 4%, and 1% for age 42, 52, 53 and 63 adults, respectively. Age 32 “jacks” sockeye are expected to be abundant.
July 4 reforecast - Runsize remains at 350,000
Catch Estimate: ~ 69,072 adults
Somass First Nations – 31,208
Maanulth First Nations Domestic harvest – 8,366
Recreational - ~ 5,513 (The majority caught at Paper Mill Dam)
Area D Gillnet – 11,250
Area B Seine – 9,128
Test Fish – 3,637
NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:
First Nations
Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath, Tseshaht)
No fisheries planned.
Maa-nulth – July 5 to July 11 The harvest plan includes contracting of designated Area
D Gillnet vessels to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maa-nulth identification flags.
Commercial
Area D Gill – No fishery planned.
Area B Seine – No fishery planned.
Recreational
• June 15 until further notice 4 sockeye per day in Area 23 except for the tidal portions of the Somass River which remain at 2 sockeye per day.
• The tidal portions of the Somass River are closed 10 pm to 5 am daily.
• Non retention area for sockeye from Lone Tree to Hoik Island in Alberni Harbour no longer in effect.

For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

Thanks Derby. Heading out Monday morning.;) eman
I will check with a couple of my friends tomorrow and I can let u know how it went...I'm out tuesday & Thursday again.... lotsa of jacks this year.....got 1 around 8lbs today.. actually pulled line.... :)

Just got back and no fish for us but it was our own fault, everybody slept in so the first line hit the water at 8:45 am. We lost three and did see fish being caught all aftermorning :)

We did finally find a large school just after the last rod was put away good luck all.

had a crew of 12 and 7 year old girls out today. We caught 6 and I lost track of how many we lost after 15 LOL. The bite lasted about 2 hrs and then petered out
The crew in action
sockeye127_zpsb01cab3c.jpg

Got bored so they started flying kites
sockeye135_zpsd8d0c519.jpg

sockeye136_zps5c8b55ea.jpg

guess the eagles don't see many kites out there,had a couple come check them out
sockeye137_zpsc12a0e46.jpg

Looked like derby weekend out there,lots of boats.Stopped and tied up at the new dock behind the brekwater at harbour quay and took the kids up for ice cream,all in all it was a great day with the family

Now that is funny, in the first pic ...... top left corner that me in the back of my Grady...... loved the kites your young gals were flying...super cool...my comment was just need some good bait and speed and Tuna here we come..... :)

I was out this am...had a blast with my daughter. We managed 4 keepers. Must have released a dozen jacks. We lost a bunch of nice ones at the boat too...could have limited if I had invested
In a longer handled net like I planned...

Started setting lines at 5ish. Got one side down and had a hit before I could set the other side. Lots of action till about 8:30 for us.

I ran a mix of typical sox gear and had action on every rod. Any depth from 25 to 70 produced at some point.

Gotta love the glitter those sox leave in the boat!

Hey Libbs.

Learned a tip from a older lady a few years back: sockeye go berserk when their noses hit air, so instead of tip up, the rule is tip out (to the side that is). Keeps a bend in the rod and gets the fish much closer to the boat. We use it for all salmon except big springs now.

Best of luck!

Smiley.

Fished Friday, Franklin Wall, one smaller jack, then nothing for over an hour. Good news coming over radio from Dunsmere so ran that way, seen friends at Arden Creek so stopped there, It was a bit spotty, but managed my limit in 3 hours. Lots of jacks.
Saturday, fished Sproat Narrows, lots of action, fish were schooling more eager to bite, Had trouble keeping them on, lost oddles, ended up with limit.
Sunday, fished Narrows and fish farm bay, Had some quiet times, but ended up with limit although smaller fish. Still having trouble keeping them on. Lots of others having same experience, lots of bites, but hard to boat.
I think they are here and in good numbers in that area. Will try Namint next weekend. No report from there reached my ears.
After thought, I caught all fish on a tandem bare red hook set up or A68 hoochies with 20 inch leader and green fashers. Friday and Saturday, they liked me to travel pretty fast, Sunday, I had to slow it down. 47 ft one side and 57 other side to cannon ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the tip Smiley. Makes sense...easier for them to shake their head in air than the more resistant water, so keep'em head down. I do try to do that whenever a fish is at the surface and squirming, but it's that last few feet where you try to pull it close enough to the boat to net'em...grrr lol. Def getting a longer handled net before the next sockeye trip. Unfortunately that might only be next year for me unless there's a miraculous Fraser run opening.

Hello, everyone.

Hit sox last night and this morning. Went 6 landed for 10 hits. Mostly smaller fish with some normal sized ones mixed in.
Most boats are getting a few, but vast majority of boats not limiting.
Our best rod (8 out of 10 hits) had a 15" leader!!!
Depths were 25-35'
It was very windy!

Back